"Ravishing" Rick Rude

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1427 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:11 PM

It's all relative. There's guys who work on the lower mid-card who do good enough stuff that it's tough to not consider them, and then there's guys who work at the top of the card, work a completely different style and it still works. If you're looking for a specific style of work, there's going to be a smorgasbord of wrestlers that are going to be very similar and card placement won't mean a damn thing.

#22 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

How many lower mid-carders are being discussed primarily on the strength of their lower mid-card work?

I think people are genuinely delusional about this. Ideally the card placement doesn't matter, but you're kidding yourself if you think it doesn't.

#23 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43476 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:18 PM

Parv, I think you should clarify that you see an act like the Rock & Roll Express, as one example, as top guys and not career midcarders. I could see some people reading that and thinking only world champions should be considered at that level, and I don't think that's what you are saying at all. 

#24 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:21 PM

It's not. Rock n Roll Express were a main event drawing tag-team working long 20-30 minute matches, gimmick matches, etc. They were on the top of cards. They were a featured act with feuds and storylines, who would have mains on the house show loop and semi-mains on PPVs.

A lower mid-carder at that time would be someone like Sam Houston or Rocky King. I don't see threads for those guys or discussion of them. I don't see anyone discussing Jim Powers.

#25 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

Card placement absolutely matters in the discussion even if just because guys higher on the card are given more time and more opportunities to have a good match.

#26 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1427 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:33 PM

I'd like to point out the first guy that was nominated for this thing was Meng.

#27 funkdoc

funkdoc

free si oem

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:59 PM

funny thing, sam houston actually used to get a lot of love from meltzer when he was a JTTS in late-80s WWF.  basically their brad armstrong in that regard.

and jim powers just completely fucking sucked, and allegedly would get so drunk before his matches that barry horowitz didn't want to work with the young stallions.  possible evidence for this: roma *always* worked face-in-peril for that team...

#28 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8865 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:54 AM

He may be the definitive peak > longevity pick. It's a shame he got injured when he did. As a total package (mic work, look, presentation, work), Rick Rude was amazing.

#29 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1427 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:48 PM

1992 Rick Rude had an argument for one of the best workers in the world. He was that good. Like Jerome said: High-end peak, but pretty short with that peak. He's an interesting choice and someone I'm not writing off completely, but off the top of my head, he's not a Top 100 guy for me.

#30 JRGoldman

JRGoldman
  • Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:36 PM

I think I may have a weird recency bias with Rick Rude, because he was someone that I really re-evaluated when the network first started, kind of like a lot of us are doing with Gino and the NWA Classics thing right now. I had always had it in my head that Rude had a great look and was a good promo, but wasn't anything special in the ring, but going back and watching his peak stuff, it's really amazing how athletic he is, how well he moves and bumps, and how clear an idea of who he is in the ring. I think as I've started to put rough drafts of my ballot together, I tend to value peak more when it comes to fringe guys; if you have two wrestlers who are questionable candidates, I seemingly gravitate more towards the one who was a clear top flight worker for a short period of time than I do the guy who was merely great for a decade. Because of that, I think Rude has a pretty good chance to make my ballot. He may even sneak in front of some people. 

#31 JazeUSA

JazeUSA
  • Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:57 PM

Yeah, I agree with Will as I also liked his wccw stuff, the nwa stuff with the r&r's was great, I enjoyed some but not all of his wwf stuff, but I loved his wcw run, in 1992 he was IMO one of the top 5 workers in the world, one could only imagine he would have been the wcw champion at some point before he retired due to injury, he is a lock to make my ballot & I havent even seen the memphis stuff.

#32 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2618 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:45 AM

Couldn't think of anywhere else to put it as it probably doesn't warrant a thread, but I just read on his wiki page that his youngest son died earlier this month in a motorcycle accident.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users