Pro Wrestling Only

Jun Akiyama

Grimmas

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of really great Akiyama matches out there, but there are a few that I think are the cream of the crop.

Misawa vs. Akiyama 2/27/00 - this is the best match out of All japan since late 1998, and probably the best match of Akiyama's career

Anything pitting Kawada vs. Akiyama in 1996

Akiyama vs. Ogawa 9/11/98 - yes, Yoshinari Ogawa in 1998, learn to love him :) the 8/98 6 man tag is an excellent lead-in

Akiyama vs. Shibata 8/4/05 - beginning of the match is 100% gold, PISSED OFF Akiyama, last 7-8 minutes is forgettable

Akiyama vs. Taue 1/22/06

Akiyama/Tenryu vs. Kobashi/Shiozaki 4/24/05

Akiyama/Tenryu vs. Kobashi/Taue 9/18/05 - Revolution 05 is great, wish it had lasted

Akiyama is my personal favorite Japanese wrestler of all time. He's not the best BUT Alan and others calling him the clear best Japanese worker of the 00's makes me want to go back and watch a lot of that stuff. Even now he's capable of knocking on my ass once or twice a year, as he did with last years Carny final v. Kai, or the big Omori TC win this year.

What makes Akiyama so hard to judge is that he had a sidekick role in all those '90s classics, and didn't have a headliner run *quite* on par with the four corners. So, apparently Dylan aside, not many would have him in the absolute top tier of Japanese wrestlers. Yet he's now 22 years into his career, and in the vast majority of those years he was involved in a MOTYC/four-star caliber bout, often several. He has been a quality headliner in addition to that 'young phenom' run in the '90s.

I was the high vote for him in the SC vote. Not sure he'd make my top 20 this time around when the likes of Lawler weren't even on my ballot last time, but I can still see him in the top 25.

His career has just gotten too heavy to deny. It's unfortunate he was ever framed as a disappointment, because yeah, it's awfully hard to be good--and often better than that--for 22 years. Many great matches, has been excellent in different roles, has developed varied skills over the years. Somehow, his lack of one blow-away period still makes him feel like a longshot for the top 20-25. But I'm not sure that feeling holds up to logic.

A list of the 90s matches I liked with Akiyama:

Hansen vs. Akiyama 9/24/94
Kawada vs. Akiyama 3/21/95
Misawa vs. Akiyama 4/8/95
Kobashi/Hansen/Akiyama vs. Kawada/Ace/Omori 4/15/95
Misawa/Kobashi/Akiyama vs. Kawada/Kikuchi/Ogawa 7/8/95
Williams/Ace vs. Misawa/Akiyama 6/7/96
Misawa/Akiyama vs. Williams/Ace 9/5/96
Williams/Ace vs. Misawa/Akiyama 11/16/96
Misawa/Akiyama vs. Kobashi/Patriot 11/22/96
Misawa/Akiyama vs. Williams/Ace 11/30/96

actually, just watch anything he did in 1996
Akiyama vs. Taue 1/20/97
Akiyama vs. Taue 3/29/97
Kobashi vs. Akiyama 3/30/97
Akiyama vs. Misawa 5/27/97
Misawa/Akiyama vs. Williams/Albright 8/25/97
Misawa/Kawada/Hase vs. Kobashi/Taue/Akiyama 9/15/97
Misawa/Akiyama vs. Johnny Smith/Wolf Hawkfield 11/17/97
Misawa/Akiyama vs. Kobashi/Ace 11/23/97
Misawa vs. Akiyama 1/26/98
Kobashi/Ace/Smith vs. Misawa/Akiyama/Kea 2/14/98
Kawada vs. Akiyama 3/26/98
Kobashi vs. Akiyama 3/98 Champions Carnival
Kobashi/Akiyama vs. Takayama/Kakihara 4/98
Akiyama vs. Hase 5/1/98
Akiyama vs. Kea 7/18/98 - Akiyama working from above for once
Kobashi/Kea vs. Akiyama/Hase 7/19/98
Akiyama vs. Kobashi 7/24/98
Misawa/Akiyama/Asako vs. Kobashi/Omori/Ogawa 8/23/98
Akiyama vs. Ogawa 9/11/98
Holy Demon Army vs. Burning 10/11/98
Burning vs. the Untouchables (Misawa/Ogawa) 3/6/99
Kobashi vs. Akiyama 3/99 CC
Burning vs. Vader/Albright 7/23/99
Kobashi/Akiyama/Shiga vs. Ace/Barton/Kea 8/29/99
Kobashi/Akiyama/Shiga vs. Takayama/Omori/Fuchi 10/9/99
Burning vs. the Untouchables 10/23/99
Burning vs. No Fear 10/30/99
Burning vs. Untouchables 11/20/99
Kobashi/Akiyama/Shiga vs. Vader/Smith/Kea 11/27/99
Misawa/Akiyama vs. Vader/Taue 1/17/00
Akiyama vs. Vader 1/23/00
Akiyama vs. Shiga 3/11/00 - again, Akiyama working a guy way lower
Kobashi/Shiga vs. Akiyama/Kea 6/9/00

• 4 weeks later...

Akiyama is just plain savage here. This is a great example of modern grumpy veteran Akiyama, and it has a good chance of making my top ten matches of the year. I love this match.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2711vk_jun-akiyama-vs-kento-miyahara-ajpw_sport

I have more thoughts that include spoilers, and since this is a new match I'll give it a few days before I post them.

Well for starters he was probably the best rookie ever (which somehow hasn't been mentioned yet), though of course that's what's lead to calls of "disappointment". I'm not a fan of his more recent stuff (his selling in the Omori match was awful, for instance), but his Top 50-minimum spot was sown up by the time of the NOAH-split, really. My gut says somewhere around 30, with it being his NOAH stuff I'm going to revisit: something like his loss to Marufuji is a perfect example of a match where he could get something far better out of Marufuji than anyone else (and seeing what Misawa and Kobashi did with him by comparison).

Well for starters he was probably the best rookie ever (which somehow hasn't been mentioned yet), though of course that's what's lead to calls of "disappointment". I'm not a fan of his more recent stuff (his selling in the Omori match was awful, for instance), but his Top 50-minimum spot was sown up by the time of the NOAH-split, really. My gut says somewhere around 30, with it being his NOAH stuff I'm going to revisit: something like his loss to Marufuji is a perfect example of a match where he could get something far better out of Marufuji than anyone else (and seeing what Misawa and Kobashi did with him by comparison).

That's an interesting take. I agree Akiyama's All-Japan work would get him a decent spot on its own, but it's really his endurance over the last 14 years that will give him a shot at my top 30-40.

• 4 weeks later...

Some Akiyama recommendations from the later part of his career:

2009 vs KENTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-JFCCz1gQo

Morishima & Yone vs Akiyama & Rikio, 4/1/07

http://www.mediafire.com/?lazp3jki82tltsi

2011 vs Suwama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHS3V2iAK0g

2012 vs. Omori

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_U7N-_RUJg

2013 tag w/Shiozaki vs. GET WILD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDDi_MHkbsk

• 5 months later...

Akiyama is fucking amazing and I'll probably be the high vote for him. I have some bias which I shall now explain. You see, a lot of the characters in Japan are based on the idea of being "the strongest" and workers seem to have the mindset of wanting to be eternal champions of their promotions, which is a perfectly normal thing to strive for. Akiyama, while immensely talented, was slightly different. His character was never presented in that vein, he would regularly lose most of the strike exchanges and tests of strenght and have to use tactics and intelligence to overcome his "stronger" opponents. His anxiety issues prevented him from ever becoming the top guy. So, I find him somewhat relatable and he is a favourite of mine. But, favouritism aside, I can't call him objectively better than Misawa or Kawada, though I'd easily put him over Kobashi.

• 2 months later...

I've been digging into some random Akiyama matches recently, and it's really cementing him as at least a top 20 guy for my ballot.

He's a guy who's work totally connects with me. I find most of his matches to be very compelling, often solely because of his performance. His offense is an absolute joy to watch, and on the flip side he's great at captivating me when he's getting worked over. He was an awesome underdog with an edge in his early All Japan years, and he's fantastic in the stern badass persona that he's had pretty much since the beginnings of NOAH. And now he's been pretty consistently great for like 20+ years, so there's a nice longevity argument to add to his case.

I will try to be as critically minded as I can when I'm making my ballot, but Akiyama is a guy that I really have a hard time coming up with many negatives for. He just totally clicks with me.

• 1 month later...

One thing that really struck me recently is how good Akiyama is at elevating his opponents, both as workers and characters. Suwama and KAI are ok workers but their matches against Akiyama are so much better than everything else they've done it's ridiculous. How many other guys could you put into tag team matches that also include Shiozaki/Doering/Suwama and Shiozaki/Omori/Manabu Soya and get MOTYCS out of them? How many other guys could convincingly go toe to toe with Kobashi and make you believe Kentaro Shiga might tap them out IN THE SAME MATCH? I appreciate what a guy like Kobashi does immensely-it requires great timing, good looking offence etc. but what Akiyama does is much harder to accomplish and the fact he does it so well is a strong point in his favour.

Watched a bunch of 00's Akiyama recently and here is a statement that many will dismiss as insane - I think he's a perfectly reasonable top ten contender. He really was amazing in NOAH, and in any big match he was put in once he was a "guy." I don't care that he never reached his potential as a star, because as a performer I think he SMOKES Kobashi in the 00's, with both variety, nuance, and adaptability, and globally the only guys who can hang with them are Danielson and Mysterio who will be incredibly high on most lists.

Watched a bunch of 00's Akiyama recently and here is a statement that many will dismiss as insane - I think he's a perfectly reasonable top ten contender. He really was amazing in NOAH, and in any big match he was put in once he was a "guy." I don't care that he never reached his potential as a star, because as a performer I think he SMOKES Kobashi in the 00's, with both variety, nuance, and adaptability, and globally the only guys who can hang with them are Danielson and Mysterio who will be incredibly high on most lists.

Agreed completely. I think I have him sitting around the 12 or 13 spot right now, with real possibility of moving higher. Probably above Kobashi for me as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Old man Akiyama is such a boss. I thought he was a strong candidate already for top 10 a few years ago just based off his NOAH and pre-split AJ work, but he's really been on a great roll since winning the TC and jumping to AJ. In retrospect, the thing that led people to label him a disappointment in the fact that he didn't get a Kobashi or Misawa style ace run of crippling head drop epics may have been the best thing to happen him for how it's allowed his body to hold up amazingly well and continue to give us King's Road style epics (except without said crippling head drops) semi-regularly even this year.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd bump the topic for my 2015 WOTY in light of his TC win and the overall amazing run of matches he's had over the past few months.

Anybody see him as a potential top 5 guy? The more I watch the smaller the gap between him and Misawa/Kawada/Kobashi starts to seem. Not only did he have a pretty great run in 90's AJ and was possibly the wrestler of the decade in the 2000's, but he continues to have full-on epics long at the same age his peers were crippled. Besides that, I'd argue he has one of the ring IQ's out there both for the depth behind his character work, as mentioned earlier, and for his ability to work such a wide variety of complex lay outs even when most high-end workers in his age group are content to rely on charisma. I can't think of anyone quite like him who's been killing it since he debuted and involved in MOTYCs (while often being the main guy behind their greatness) literally every year for 23 years.