Pro Wrestling Only

Necro Butcher

Grimmas

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Necro Butcher. I don't have enough notes on me to make a complete case for him right now but I will say that he's a lock for my ballot. His range is far more impressive than a lot of people realize. I love everything he did during the ROH vs CZW feud, which is my favorite thing that American indy wrestling has ever produced. He was more consistent in indy dream matches than others because he always played to his greatest strength by wrestling as an underdog. When called upon to be an aggressive heel he was more than capable like in his tag team with Brodie Lee. He even had a great scuzzy US indy version of the classic Tenryu vs rookie match when he wrestled Sami Callihan back in 2008.

I think Necro is awesome as a special attraction out of control guy. He is better then Sabu at all the things Sabu does well, and has a more varied toolbox. Unfortunately a lot of his great stuff isn't online, we need someone to upload all of the Brodie Lee/Necro JAPW tags which were awesome moondogs style brawls.

As you can tell, I'm pretty negative on Necro belonging on this list. I can't think of any reason to even consider him among the top 100. His punches were horrible, I can't think of a single move he did well that doesn't involve a staple gun and......he's just not good. I will admit he was a fun part of the ROH and CZW feud because he was different, but just look at how pointless his ROH run was after that.

He's a guy who got over purely on spectacle, and stayed over for a short time because of more spectacles, and quickly faded away.

This all sounds like I am way more invested in his exclusion than is reality, but I was really shocked to see him listed.

As you can tell, I'm pretty negative on Necro belonging on this list. I can't think of any reason to even consider him among the top 100. His punches were horrible, I can't think of a single move he did well that doesn't involve a staple gun and......he's just not good. I will admit he was a fun part of the ROH and CZW feud because he was different, but just look at how pointless his ROH run was after that.

He's a guy who got over purely on spectacle, and stayed over for a short time because of more spectacles, and quickly faded away.

This all sounds like I am way more invested in his exclusion than is reality, but I was really shocked to see him listed.

Since he is nominated, I hope you re-watch a few matches and give him a fair shot. I know I will.

I always thought Butcher had great punches, they were similar to Lawler in their appeal being that they actually hit. On the other side of the coin would be someone like Matt Hardy who I've always thought has terrific worked punches, where he's barely connecting but it looks like he's hitting the guy right in the sweet spot.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No shot of making my list, but two things:

-When I think of Necro, the first thing I think of is that great straight right hand, and keep in mind i'm as far from a "good punch" fetishist as you can find.

-I actually like Necro, and he's one of those guys who comes across much much better live than on tape. He projects a great aura of danger & unpredictability live that never quite comes across as well on tape. Completely different wrestlers and for completely different reasons, but ACH is the same way.

And people talk about freaking Nobuhiko Takada as a "bubble" guy. :rolleyes:

What's your case against Necro then? I'd easily take Necro over Takada, and the more I watch of Necro the more I see him in the bottom of my top 100. He gets what he's good at in wrestling and he goes with that to the most logical and enjoyable conclusion. He's actually a fantastic worker when it comes to things like bumping, selling, and offensive execution.

• 2 weeks later...

He'll find his way onto my list -- just not sure where yet. I always loved his punches. Was live for the ROH barbed wire match with BJ Whitmer. But that extra thing that Necro has that bumps him up is presence. I saw him at one of the most low-rent indy shows imaginable last year. It was in the inside of a former Ponderosa Steakhouse that had been gutted. Like 9 ft. ceiling. It was in the middle of a snowy, freezing cold Ohio winter and there was no heat in the building. Was torture sitting through most of the show but then Necro came out for the main event (teaming with 2 Tuff Tony) and suddenly sh*t got real! He started literally tearing the place apart, grunting, cursing, everything he threw landed with sickening thuds, and he took spine-crunching bumps on the cold concrete floor in-front of 25 people. We know (and love) the Low KI and Joe matches but his low-rent indy stuff is worthy of consideration and as a boost to his stature.

• 4 months later...

Rewatched Necro v. Super Dragon for my C+A Super Dragon, and it solidifies how great Necro was in his prime. The match has some of the craziest bumps in wrestling history, but was really build around Necro selling his injured hand, it was exactly the way a gritty club fighter would deal with a broken right hand in his big shot at top 20 fighter. He has to follow up the jab with something, so he is going to sell it anyway. There is a point at the end of the match where Necro unloads two big punches, but can't put as much on them as he wants because of the hand, so he just opens up his and starts slapping Dragon in the mouth.

That Super Dragon match is an all-time great and maybe better than the Joe match.

Other great Necro matches that haven't been mentioned here would include VS Scorpio, Klein multiple times, Masada, Homicide, insanely fun tags with Klein VS the H8 Club, tagging with Pondo VS the Briscoes, really good matches VS Kingston, JC Bailey, Corporal Robinson, Danielson... and I feel like I'm still only scratching the surface.

Just watched the Super Dragon match for the first time. Between that match and the Joe match, that's an impressive 1-2 matches for anyone.

He certainly was a great brawler and a master of chaotic brawls. I don't like death matches, so that hurts him for a list by me. I really need more regular type Butcher matches to watch.

The follow match with Necro against Tommy Dreamer is interesting: I call it a softcore match. That is, it pretends to be a hardcore match, but they're not really doing anything which is terribly dangerous or painful. It's PG-rated Necro, fooling everyone at ringside into believing they're watching a wild brawl when it's really pretty tame by his standards. (Well, there is ONE ouchy-looking spot where he flattens a chair, but at least it's at the finish.)