Nick Bockwinkel

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9059 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

Bock is a guy who will finish high for me. I've said it before, but I think him and Buddy Rose are the 2 best ever at having different type of matches, and the matches being great. He did the little things and big things well.

#22 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18946 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

I love Bock and he will rank high on  my list but he could also be really boring in All Japan. He had the great Robinson match and some highlights against Jumbo but he could also kill a match dead with his "matwork". 

#23 JazeUSA

JazeUSA
  • Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

In my current top 5, my drawback to Bock is we do not have enough of his ''prime'' footage out there, what exactly do we have that is not AWA for him to watch? 

#24 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43381 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

Probably his Memphis matches with guys like Lawler, Savage and Jarrett, along with complete matches from All Japan, Houston and Southwest.

#25 KrisZ

KrisZ
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 9859 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:12 PM

Here is a Bock vs. Leo Burke match from Stampede

#26 Lee Casebolt

Lee Casebolt
  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:40 PM

The earliest Bock match I've found so far:

[embed][/embed]

#27 TRMD

TRMD
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:53 PM

Can I get a date for the Bockwinkel/Wahoo match? You guys have me wanting to give it a watch.

#28 JazeUSA

JazeUSA
  • Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:40 PM

Can I get a date for the Bockwinkel/Wahoo match? You guys have me wanting to give it a watch.

Nick Bockwinkel vs. Wahoo McDaniel (8/28/83)

pretty sure this is the one

#29 JazeUSA

JazeUSA
  • Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:57 PM

Ric Flair vs Nick Bockwinkel (01/16/86)

possibly the only time these two ever worked each other that we have on film?? 

#30 khawk20

khawk20
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2315 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:12 AM

Correct. Only one on film, possibly their only meeting period.

#31 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7352 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:53 PM

I'll also be happy to put together a sampler set if necessary that potential voters can circulate amongst themselves if some of what is listed is not readily available on the youtubes.

FWIW if there are any other AWA guys someone wants to make an argument for and video needs to be circulated, I can probably help out with that too. I have samplers of a guy like Leon White, for example, and Col. DeBeers (if Wiskoski gets any love in this thing). Vachon, of course, if he gets into the conversation. Adonis (both with Ventura and as a single), Blackwell 80-85, Slaughter as SD II, plenty more.

My preference would be to send out a block of stuff to one person and have them pass it around to whoever needs it (chain mail, similar to the review process for the 80's sets). I'll leave that up to you guys to figure it out if it comes to that.

For now, a Bock list is a good starting point.

If everyone is willing do things digitally, I have no problem letting everyone use my FTP server.

#32 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8714 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:04 AM

Considering how great he was at 50, we could assume he smoked Flair in his 30's.

#33 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4392 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:55 AM

No, that would be incredibly lazy.

#34 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2655 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, Tenryu was even better in his 50s, and he wasn't anywhere near as good as Flair in his 30s.

Also, I remain mystified by the love for the Wahoo match. I'll watch it again and see if it does anything for me.

#35 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8714 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:12 PM

I knew someone was gonna drop Tenryu on my ass.:) But hey, Tenryu is an odd cat.

That being said, at this point I'd rather watch Brock in his 50's than Flair in his 30's. He's just that much more compelling to me (and I'm a Flair fan).

#36 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10161 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:17 PM

Yeah, Tenryu was even better in his 50s, and he wasn't anywhere near as good as Flair in his 30s.

Also, I remain mystified by the love for the Wahoo match. I'll watch it again and see if it does anything for me.

They hit each other really hard. That's all it takes for some people apparently. The only thing I really like about the match is how it feels like Bock came in with a gameplan, but he's like that in every match.

#37 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8714 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:13 PM

If you believe Rick Martel, the old mofo was also hitting very hard in every match. But yeah, coming in with a *real* gameplan is something that not a whole lot of workers actually project efficiently. Bock was one of them. As opposed to Flair, for instance, whose gameplan was to pop the crowd with cool shit. ;) (Ok, enough with the Flair crowd trolling already, I love them both anyway)

#38 Shining Wiz

Shining Wiz

I am SOOOOO not popular

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:00 AM

Watched a Bockwinkle/Choshu match from 84 or 85......I knew Bock was good, but he may have just become a #1 contender for me. I think I need to do an intensive Bock review.

#39 Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Drinkin Coors, Shootin Jack, and Good Ol' Fashion RASSLIN

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

Bock is a Top 10 lock for me. It would be very hard to bump him outta a position in my 10. Just to complete of a package and a guy who I really wish woulda been the go to NWA Champion from 77-82. Had it been up to me he picks the title up from Terry Funk in early 77. Then again I mighta given him the win over Jack Brisco and cancelled/delayed a Funk run. No knock on Funk cause he's in my bakers dozen at the very least. But Bock was Bock.

#40 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10161 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:42 PM

Just a taste of what we DON'T have:

2/20/64 Medford

Card held at the Armory

1. Tony Borne beat Pedro Lopez

2. Bobby Duranton defeated Don Duffy

3. Mad Mongol & Haru Sasaki defeated Paddy Barrett & Nick Kozak

MAIN EVENT

In a 2 out of 3 Falls match for the NWA World Heavyweight Title

4. Lou Thesz drew with Nick Bockwinkel when Bockwinkel tied Thesz one fall a piece and the 3rd fall ended at the 60:00 minute mark to make it a draw 

---

Bock was going for the NWA title as early as 64. Just think about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users