John Cena

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#141 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:45 PM

Didn't know where to put this, and didn't want to keep posting about it in the reaction thread for that show, but as two of the most important voices during this project and two of the characters that have made GWE so memorable, I absolutely want Jimmy and Matt D to somehow come together and make the ultimate odd-couple countdown show. We need to do what it takes to make that happen. We have more than enough people who can handle production.

Sorry John Cena, you were the first thread I thought it might be fitting to post that in!

#142 Bierschwale

Bierschwale
  • Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:52 PM

I watched his first title win last night. If anyone but a WWE debutante had pulled off his comeback, it'd be called "fighting spirit at its purest".

#143 Bierschwale

Bierschwale
  • Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:52 PM

Doubled.

#144 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

I need to do a countdown with someone.  

To make this relevant to Cena, I ended up having him really high. And almost had him "you have got to be fucking kidding me" high.

#145 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7900 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:52 PM

To make this relevant to Cena, I ended up having him really high. And almost had him "you have got to be fucking kidding me" high.

Musgrave sent in his ballot... Wrestling Culture baby!

#146 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:42 PM

He was very close to making my top 10.

#147 Luchaundead

Luchaundead

Max Landis approved chant-police

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:16 PM

Musgrave sent in his ballot... Wrestling Culture baby!

I second this get a Wrestling Culture GWE show cooking we need to hear it,

I really regret not having a place for Cena but he got negative points from me on principal for those matches where he carried wasted up never-hasbeen HBK to 5* gold.

#148 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:28 PM

All you guys talking about going high on Cena...cute.

I watched his first title win last night. If anyone but a WWE debutante had pulled off his comeback, it'd be called "fighting spirit at its purest".

The JBL?

For what it's worth that match got squished after Angle/Shawn went long and they ended up with the 10 minutes or so they got, which lead to Cena's super short comeback and win.

#149 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:09 PM

No matter how high you rate Cena I won't critique it. The ONLY thing keeping him out of my absolute, tip top tier was duration of quality. In ten years he could be my number 1.

#150 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1891 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:15 PM

If it was a list of favourites I'd vote him #1 on a good day. Can't comment on how much that is influenced by memes. You could argue he deserves credit for managing to create these huge, easily capturable moments that are perfect for his time. It's hard for me to think of a big Cena facial expression that couldn't be used as a reaction GIF. So. Just putting that out there.

#151 Bierschwale

Bierschwale
  • Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:26 PM

The JBL?

For what it's worth that match got squished after Angle/Shawn went long and they ended up with the 10 minutes or so they got, which lead to Cena's super short comeback and win.

I thought that it was a very good match, His comeback is great, I'm just imagining the modern response and all of the "he never sells" bullshit getting thrown at it. I can't help but watch for Cena's "flaws" when I watch older stuff and... they just aren't there, generally. I love Cena. He's in my top five heavyweight "dream match wrestlers".

I will submit, and Cena is top 30 on my instinct and probably higher in reality. Top ten for US-born without question.

#152 Eegah

Eegah
  • Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:08 PM

In the end I rated Cena far too low and I admit it. On my ballot if I were to change two guys ranking itd be him and Daniel Bryan. Both are a result due to a disdain for recency bias.

#153 KawadaSmile

KawadaSmile
  • Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:51 PM

What are the odds of him sneaking in the top 10 next time this sort of voting takes place?

#154 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:19 AM

He's already in my top 20 (19 to be exact), but I still have a ton of other stuff to watch so that might change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users