Pro Wrestling Only

Pirata Morgan

Grimmas

He's possibly the best trios match worker ever. Los Infernales are the definitive rudo trio but I thought they were at their strongest with Pirata as a member. I didn't expect to leave the 80s set liking Los Bucaneros even more but they were in too many of my favorite trios matches to ignore. He's a huge bumper but also a downright nasty brawler and he's always in the right position for triple teaming the tecnico or stooging for the comeback.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Morgan is such a great bully in the ring. He does so many petty little things that inform his character and it's wonderful. Obviously the spitting blood stuff is the big one, but he is nonchalant in his dickishness that I can't help but really hate him. He's like Bobby Eaton, who always looked like such a dumb jock douche bag that I never had trouble buying him as one. He does a ton of things to help get faces over after pin falls or on the apron, which I think is why he was so successful as a trios worker. I remember in a singles match against El Dandy where he throws him out of the ring and has completely dominated the match, but instead of celebrating or mugging or going to the outside he just paced and was breathing really heavy like he had all this adrenaline but didn't know what to do with it. It showed what a struggle everything was against Dandy even though he hadn't even gotten any offense in yet. To rate people in stuff like this we inevitably have to split hairs, and I think that Pirata does little things really well, which will help him against others who may have a better on paper resume.

• 6 months later...

Any apuesta matches other than the Dandy, Satanico and El Faraon ones I should check out? He's a weird guy, at his best he looks like the greatest lucha brawler ever but then there's matches where he'll look completely tamed. I have him below Perro and Sangre Chicana right now.

• 5 years later...

I'm pretty high on Pirata Morgan. An all-time great brawler, who makes everything so visceral and grimy and real. Super fun bumper. One of the best for making nondescript trios matches fun.  Probably the best bleeder. That run of hair matches from around 1988 to 1993 - El Dandy, El Faraon, MS-1, Masakre, Satanico. I'd love more footage of him to crop up to solidify his case, but could easily see him in my top 10.

Longevity might be against Pirata here. If you focus on his highs then he should be up there with any of the other lucha brawlers. I'm not sure I'd pick him for best bleeder, but he's definitely one of if not the best bloodletter in wrestling. Watching Pirata gnaw open his opponent's head and spray their blood into the air a la HHH is a sight. Great worked punches, too.

That said, the past 10 years (or more? I've not actively sought him out) have not been kind. I remember being all sorts of excited for the Wotan feud (right after that classic with Black Terry) only to be thoroughly let down.

1 hour ago, Rah said:

Longevity might be against Pirata here. If you focus on his highs then he should be up there with any of the other lucha brawlers. I'm not sure I'd pick him for best bleeder, but he's definitely one of if not the best bloodletter in wrestling. Watching Pirata gnaw open his opponent's head and spray their blood into the air a la HHH is a sight. Great worked punches, too.

That said, the past 10 years (or more? I've not actively sought him out) have not been kind. I remember being all sorts of excited for the Wotan feud (right after that classic with Black Terry) only to be thoroughly let down.

What clip is that match from?

I ranked Pirata Morgan 45th in 2016 and I feel like I only sort of blew that one The best Pirata Morgan stuff is amazing. That 1988 El Dandy match is required viewing. He is one of the best brawlers I've ever seen but he was also an incredible athlete and he could work the fast paced back and forth tumbly lucha exchanges as well as anyone. And he could do the slow building dramatic lucha title matches as well. Great trios worker who knew always stood out. INSANE bumper. Like total fucking nut. Oh and he would blade his missing eye. WTF has ever been cooler than that? Pirata absolutely belongs on the list, but I need to dig deeper to figure out where. This sort of mid tier might be perfect but I also think he has the skills to challenge the top 30. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had Morgan at 44 in 2016, one spot higher than our good friend elliot. A couple things I think Pirata Morgan easily goes into the all-time elite tier for are a) bumping like a complete maniac, and b) bleeding like a truly demented bastard. Combining both of those things went a decent way to making him an amazing brawler who was involved in a few amazing brawls. The Infernales were also one of the best trios in lucha history, so he has that small thing going for him. It's been over a decade since I watched the Brazo de Oro title match, but I though that was pretty great, so he has at least one title match feather in his cap. I'd agree that he doesn't really have the longevity of your absolute top level lucha candidates, and there's more than a small sample of old man Pirata Morgan not being particularly good, but his peak is absolutely exceptional and the '93 hair match with Satanico is something I can't wait to watch (one day, whenever that'll be). 

PIRATA MORGAN YOU SHOULD WATCH:

w/El Satanico & MS-1 v El Egipcio, La Fiera & El Faraon (EMLL, 3/29/85)

v El Dandy (EMLL, 9/23/88)

v Brazo de Oro (EMLL, 11/18/89)

v El Faraon (CMLL, 11/18/90)

v Masakre (CMLL, 2/28/92)

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2014 at 11:16 AM, Graham Crackers said:

He's possibly the best trios match worker ever.

I think I agree with this, at least among rudos. He had everything you'd want in that setting. He could brawl. He could make things work on the mat. He could bump big. He could fly through a breathtaking series of moves. He had big offense both on his own and in triple teams. He could do comedy at the level of a Fuerza Guerrera. Who else would even think of holding this impromptu test of strength tournament in the middle of a match? Everyone knows what he brought to Satanico's Infernales, but just in case, look at how weak their 1991 reunion was, from spring until fall when it was Masakre on the team. Morgan replaced him late in the year and suddenly they were one of the promotion's most important acts. As the leader of his own team, he wasn't trying to make a statement or anything, but I loved that the other Bucaneros had to wear eyepatches and essentially be good enough to wrestle with one eye like Pirata did. It would be like if Mocho Cota had a team where all the members had to wrestle with two of their fingers tied down or if Jerry Estrada had a team and they all had to show up to the arena wasted every night. The Bucaneros were like a souped up version of the Brazos, a trio of brothers working comedy spots but even faster and more daring.

I could go either way on his longevity. On one hand, he was a big guy who took big bumps. That's a style that lives on borrowed time, so I can't praise the bumps and also say his prime should have lasted longer. Even by that standard he fell apart fast though. A lot of his contemporaries took a hit when the calendar turned from 1992 to 1993, but none of them collapsed like Morgan did. I can't think of a single widely praised Morgan match from after 1993, and I believe he turned 31 that year. He finished 117th in 2016. Tenth among Mexican candidates is really not bad, but I think he had the matches and the talent (especially the talent) to make the top 100, maybe even comfortably. His career feels offbeat compared to other workers of his ability. He doesn't have a definitive rival, he spent a lot of time as a #2/#3 instead of a team leader, and he had a real flop of a tecnico turn right in the middle of his prime. I have him about as high as someone can rank without having a serious argument for number one, although I'd listen if anyone wanted to make it.

Heretofore unmentioned wrestling matches featuring Pirata Morgan:
PM, Hombre Bala and Verdugo vs Atlantis, Ringo Mendoza and Angel Azteca
PM, Emilio Charles Jr. and Pierroth Jr. vs Atlantis, Huracan Ramirez (Sevilla) and Blue Demon Jr.
Pirata Morgan vs Mascara Sagrada (Pirata works this almost like an American title match, and for one night Mascara Sagrada looks like one of the best flyers in the world)

• 3 months later...

I've watched a lot of Pirata Morgan the last week or so. Maybe it's recency bias, maybe I'm just watching the right stuff, maybe I'm just overrating him because he's a favourite, but I feel like he has a five year peak encompassing 1988-1992 where he's amongst the best wrestlers in the world. You could cut that off at '91 and I wouldn't argue too strongly, but the '92 trios I've watched are a hoot (the Intocables stuff, mostly) and that Masakre match has always been a vampire's dream. 

He was amazing in 1991. That Volador mano a mano that OJ mentioned way back sits comfortably alongside his other blood-soaked masterpieces, if maybe slightly below the absolute best of them. It was basically worked as an apuestas and that meant we got all the gory Pirata Morgan brilliance that comes with apuestas matches.

The Mascara Sagrada match that cad mentions above just about had my jaw on the floor. The first two falls might not be the most graceful and they're certainly slower than what you'd get from the lighter weight divisions, but Sagrada works the primera like a Ricky Steamboat and if nothing else Morgan is great at feeding himself into armdrags. He spends the segunda selling the leg, then the tercera just kept building and building to something brilliant. It started off decent, got really good, and then by the end I couldn't believe how good it was. Morgan was tremendous as a guy having to take progressively higher risks, crashing and burning on all of them, before desperation kicks in and he goes total dickhead with his final gambit. 

I don't know how much higher I can realistically have him than 44, but as someone who's big on a wrestler's peak, that feels too low right now and I could probably talk myself into going at least 10 spots higher.