Pro Wrestling Only

'Gentleman' Chris Adams

Grimmas

• 3 weeks later...

Was looking for this thread, because he's a guy I've felt has been really underrated due to his issues keeping him from WWF and WCW most of his career.

Could work a variety of styles- I've seen some good World of Sport stuff and he did the fairly stiff World Class Style- that's a good variety. I also remember him having some late career WCW matches which I enjoyed. Don't know how good he was in Japan if he ever went there.

Could work both as a cocky heel and sympathetic face, and did both well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

So yeah, really solid worker in Texas, efficient both as a face and a heel. But never got past the "really solid" level to me. Carried the Dynamic Duo, as Gino Hernandez was sloppy as hell. I didn't get into the late part of WCCW/USWA era, so I haven't seen the Austin feud (and probably won't take the time to). Aside from Gordy and Robert, the best and most regular worker in WCCW over the decade I guess. Still nowhere near a top 100 candidate to me after all.

• 2 months later...

His early 98 WCWSN feud with Glacier and the late 98 match with Chip Mitton are way better than you would think. Worth seeing. Not going to push the guy over to 100 if you have seen the rest of his stuff but another reminder of how deep WCW was with talent and how they pissed it all away.

• 5 years later...

I ranked Chris Adams 77th in 2016 and feel great about that. Adams will probably end up my lowest ranked guy who I still see as a complete lock for my list. By that I mean I can't imagine putting him in the top 50, but I also wouldn't feel good about a top 100 without him. He has plenty of good - very good - great match we can point to either as a face or a heel, a youngster or a veteran, in singles matches or in tag matches, brawls or technical matches . So he has the matches, the versatility and the in ring ability over a decent stretch of time that  you want to see out of a top 100 candidate. He really stood out in the US territories as a dynamic offensive wrestler. He was doing topes regularly in the mid 80s when no one was doing that. Greatest super kick ever. So hes got little things like that push him over the top. He finished 213th last time around. If he can stay in that top 200 +/- 15 range I'd be happy with that. Anyone not super familiar with him I'd encourage to give him a shot. Check him out against Terry Taylor, Terry Gordy, Buddy ROse, Steve Austin, Jimmy Garvin, Buzz Sawyer, the Von Erichs, Flair, Gino Hernandez, Jake Roberts.