Giant Baba

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1286 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:01 PM

Really interesting turn this thread has taken.

The problem I see with that is that New Japan were bigger and made more money than All Japan. 

How much of that is down to Inoki's personal legend?

I'm not sure. It's not something that's been properly explored. 

This is sort of a catch 22 because how much of All Japan being what it was came down to Baba's personal legend? Those two were the writers/producers/directs/leading men of NJ and AJ respectively. NJ created in the image of Inoki and AJ created in the image of Baba.

Baba was a bigger star than Inoki in JWA. Baba was a bigger star worldwide than Inoki. That Inoki went from being secondary to Baba when they were both employees to running the biggest company in the country for all but what 5 years, suggests that the promoting and storytelling in New Japan was more effective than Baba's. That New Japan created more stars than All Japan during Baba's life also suggests the NJ booking/promotional philosophy was more effective than Baba. It carried beyond Inoki and Baba. 

In this case, slow and steady came in second, but still beat a bunch of other people :) 

#62 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5673 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:18 AM

It would take a ton of research to come up with a theory as to why New Japan was more popular than All Japan. I do know that Inoki got some huge television ratings for his worked shoots in the 70s and then New Japan had that hot run on Friday nights with Tiger Mask and Choshu vs. Fujinami in a far better time slot than All Japan ever had. New Japan seemed to have a better deal with Asahi than All Japan had with NTV, which may have been crucial. but whether that was because Inoki was better in the boardroom than Baba is something we don't know a lot about. Given Inoki's rap sheet, you'd have to assume he was better at bullshitting his way through boardroom meetings than Baba, but Baba may have been a shrewd customer himself.

No prizes for guessing who blew through their money and who had a reputation for being stingy. 

#63 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2655 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

My understanding is that Seiji Sakaguchi was the one with the TV connections because he went to college with a lot of guys who became major executives.

#64 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43381 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:57 PM

It would take a ton of research to come up with a theory as to why New Japan was more popular than All Japan. I do know that Inoki got some huge television ratings for his worked shoots in the 70s and then New Japan had that hot run on Friday nights with Tiger Mask and Choshu vs. Fujinami in a far better time slot than All Japan ever had. New Japan seemed to have a better deal with Asahi than All Japan had with NTV, which may have been crucial. but whether that was because Inoki was better in the boardroom than Baba is something we don't know a lot about. Given Inoki's rap sheet, you'd have to assume he was better at bullshitting his way through boardroom meetings than Baba, but Baba may have been a shrewd customer himself.

No prizes for guessing who blew through their money and who had a reputation for being stingy. 

If I use the 80s WONs as a source, it paints the picture of New Japan as a pretty volatile company. Lots of politics and far more masters to serve than in All Japan. More extreme ups and downs in business than All Japan. I don't know how accurate that is, but it's one reason I've always ranked Choshu highly as a booker. He seemed to navigate the landmines really well.

#65 Indikator

Indikator
  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

Karl Gotch wrote that Dick Beyer brought AJPW to it's knees, which is a bit bizarre to read. But of course I can see him hating Abby and Farhat, as he said as well that Gene Labell knew just a little judo and no wrestling. So it's clear that certain wrestling types won't get over with him. The Funks and other Americans trying to get their wrestler's booked in Japan didn't endear them to him either as he was trying to get "better" Europeans booked.

So if you consider the success of UWF Vol 2 you can see the argument how the Detroit influence made All Japan inferior to the mixed martial arts hilarity done by Inoki. Inoki, who had featured Tiger Jeet Singh extensively. Wrestling is a stupid business.

#66 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

Missed this discussion during its peak but Baba was still involved in 4 star matches at the age of 57 against people like Kobashi, Misawa and Hansen during the 90's RWTL's. Even being broken down he was still good. He was a simple, safe and great worker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users