Pro Wrestling Only

'Super Porky' Brazo de Plata

Grimmas

I think there is an argument to be made that Super Porky us among the two or three best fat wrestlers of all time. He looks like a decent wrestler in the snippets of his pre weight gain careern we have but when he reinvented himself after the weight gain he became one of the most charismatic wrestlers I've ever see.

The 1989 bouts against Los Bucaneros is an awesome sample of what he and his brothers could do. They manage to straddle a fantastic balance between comical and serious. Their Super Libre in particular is one if my favorite trios matches in how it starts very funny but end in harrowing violent fashion.

Los Brazos have a ton of great trios matches from the early 90s as well. I'll try to post a list of those another time when I'm not on my phone.

That Rey Escorpion match was awful. If you want Porky spectacle matches from the 00s, his hair matches against Asesino Negro are much better. I agree with Graham. If you're going to vote for Porky the vote for him from the '89-93 period.

One of my favourite matches of last year. I loved every second of it. Now I must seek out that match if its much better.

• 5 months later...

Porky definitely has a chance of making my ballot. Just one of the most fun guys to watch in his pomp. Moved incredibly for a guy his size, and I'm always a mark for athletic fat guys. I especially love his cartwheel spot. Great comedy wrestler, of course, but I think he was really good about transitioning from comedy stuff to serious stuff. One minute he'll be falling off the apron or crying because his brothers are hitting him, just being a total buffoon, the next he'll be headbutting the shit out of someone, or hitting a sweet back suplex. The cons are that I haven't seen a great Porky singles match. Not saying they don't exist, but I haven't seen it. So, is his trios work great enough and varied enough to warrant him a place? Also, latter day Porky is just sad to watch. Like, it actually depresses me.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Porky is just one of those guys that I've found endless entertainment from: even watching a random Dragondoor Project undercard from 2005 where the guy is fairly well past it in terms of workrate but still manages to get some of the biggest pops of the match (despite sharing the ring with Tiger Mask and Gran Hamada) by having solid power sequences alongside him either smacking or accidently knocking over his brother a lot lol. I wouldn't say he's a fine technical master or whatnot but he's incredibly good at what he does and has great timing for how he blends both being a idiot, but being a STRONG idiot that can knock people around into a formula that somehow makes sense without looking unconvincing. 

If I want to have fun watching a match first and foremost, I check out him and his brothers in action. Definitely worth a spot on the top 100 easy. 

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer or anything but going through the Brazos trios stuff is difficult to do whenever Porky is involved. I don't think he straddles the line between serious and comedic well and often times will bring the flow of a match down to a screeching halt so he can shoe horn in one of his recycled spots. There was a match I watched recently where he blew the spot and just reset everyone so he could do it again. That isn't the sign of a good worker.

I find him incredibly fun in small bursts, usually in his latter career, but I don't see an argument for him here.

• 1 year later...

I don't know how to compare Brazo de Plata to anybody else. You watch a match like this, replete with fart sounds and dick jokes, and there's just no one else who works like that. How do you rate a wrestler against a bawdy comedian? I doubt any other worker could pull that off, and at the same time I don't know if they'd want to. It's funny as shit but also a total farce, even by the standards of professional wrestling. Typically his approach wasn't that extreme, but it was still singular enough that it's tough to rate him against other wrestlers as if they had the same goals out there. I say that, and yet you still have a worker as revered as Negro Casas doing a Porky bit almost note for note. If Casas steals from someone, that's when you know they're pretty good.

One thing I'll say about Brazos matches is that a lot of them are like Rock promos. The Rock didn't cut your Jim Cornette template three pronged promo, "This is why I'm mad, this is what I'm going to do about it, this is when I'm going to do it," and I don't think anyone wanted him to. Same with the Brazos, who aimed to have Brazos matches more often than they aimed to have classic matches, and it usually sounded like Brazos matches were what the crowds wanted from them.