Pro Wrestling Only

Dr. Wagner Jr.

Grimmas

Wagner, really? There was a brief period where he went to Japan and developed into a very good worker, which he brought back with him to CMLL but then he decided he'd be better off as the Mexican version of the Rock, which put plenty of dinero in his pocket, but gets old fast as Matt can attest to. He's a very capable worker. I liked his last major CMLL run and some of the endless stuff with Parka, and some of his pre-97 work is good albeit a watered down version of his father's act, but I'd like to see a defence of Wagner as he appears to be here on name value alone.

Yeah, as OJ said, from what I've seen, he has amazing charisma, just amazing, as much as almost any wrestler I've ever seen, and he's as good as almost anyone at framing a big move or moment to make it seem important, but he'll completely derail matches by deciding that instead of selling or helping to ramp up the anticipation or the comeback, he'll should be putting his hand to his ear and winking to the crowd (metaphorically) trying to get them to chant his name. I thought he was a revelation the first time I saw him but boy does It get old real quick. He's still engaging but it keeps matches that should be good or great from being nothing more than fun and frustrating.

I did 50

Brazo De Oro

El Brazo

Brazo De Plata

Arkangel De La Muete

Villano 3

Villano 4

Villano 5

Black Terry

Dr. Cerebro

Negro Navarro

El Signo

El Texano

Super Astro

Solar

Ultraman

Shu El Guerrero

Virus

Negro Casas

Felino

El Hijo Del Santo

El Dandy

Mascara Ano 2000

Universo 2000

Perro Aguyayo

Bestia Salvaje

Scorpio Jr.

Emilio Charles Jr.

Mil Mascaras

L.A. Park

Rey Mysterio Jr.

Psicosis

Fuerza Guerrera

Juventud Guerrera

Blue Panther

Atlantis

Lizmark

Satanico

MS1

Sangre Chicana

Pirata Morgan

Perro Aguayo Jr.

Jerry Estrada

Babyface

La Fiera

Shocker

Rush

Pimpinela Escarlata

Cassandro

Mano Negra

El Apache

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...

Charismatic as hell, easy to watch because of that magnetism in the way he carries himself. That Park match from TxT that people love starts off so good but veers into a dull walk n brawl in parts. He has an otherwise cool match with Mesias that has one of the most annoying table spots I’ve seen. His best match is a NJPW juniors match from the 90s that relies on none of what I think of as his usual strengths. I need to think about what I really think about Wagner and how to rate him. I’m not sure what to do with him

What I watched for this so far and my match ratings

Koji Kanemoto vs Dr Wagner Jr (03/06/98) ****½
Koji Kanemoto & Shinjiro Otani vs Dr Wagner Jr & Jushin Liger (06/03/99) ***½
Dr Wagner Jr vs Atlantis (13/03/01) ***
Dr Wagner Jr vs Minoru Tanaka (01/06/01) ***¼
Mistico vs Dr Wagner Jr (27/07/07) ****
El Mesias vs Dr Wagner Jr (13/06/09) ***½
Dr Wagner Jr vs LA Park (11/05/13) ***½
Dr Wagner Jr vs Blue Demon Jr (03/08/19) ***¼   

• 1 year later...

I like the comparison to Rocky a lot. I like it because they can both brawl, but when you think of an emotional bloodsoaked war like Chicana vs MS-1 or Santo vs Parka, it's hard to imagine either one in that kind of match. And they're both gifted athletes who can do workrate matches, but when you think of two guys trying to prove who's the most talented wrestler in the world you wouldn't really envision Wags or Rocky working that kind of match either. With both of them I'll watch a match and like it, but afterwards I'll have a hard time remembering any individual sequence of moves that they did. Eventually, though, it becomes hard to overlook that Wagner really did have a lot of really good matches. He doing good work on 1992 UWA TV and as late as 2006 (almost certainly later than that). And it's not like he was being carried. Wagner was too bombastic to let anyone else do the bulk of the work and possibly overshadow him. I'm closer to El McKell here. Wagner's easy to criticize but hard to write off just like that.

Wagner matches:
Wagner and Espanto Jr. vs Villanos IV and V (one of those matches where you get everything from technical wrestling to brawling)
Wagner, Blue Panther and Black Warrior vs Atlantis, Felino and Emilio Charles (one of the last times Charles looked great)
Dr. Wagner Jr. vs Atlantis (brawling mano a mano in which Atlantis and Wagner exchange mind games)
Dr. Wagner Jr. vs Shocker (2/3 of an excellent title match, with a weak third fall, but Wagner looked like the better worker)
Dr. Wagner Jr. vs Shocker (better overall match, and if you stick this third fall onto the 2002 match you have an alltime classic)
Dr. Wagner Jr. vs LA Park (more or less what you'd think)