Pro Wrestling Only

Invader I

Grimmas

I always forget that there is a Jose Gonzales match on the WWE Network, vs Jan Nelson from the 6/27/77 MSG show in the Old School section.

It's not much of a match, a 9 minute opener which is about 6 minutes of Nelson working an arm bar with fiery young (actually I think he was 30 or 31) ethnic babyface Gonzales hope spots tossed in every 60 seconds or so.

Probably isn't anything that would sway a ballot, but it's a quick watch.

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Invader is one of the last guys I'm watching as I finalize my ballot and man, what a brawler he was. He had this incredible way of staggering around under the other guy's attack and then lunging forward with a punch or headbutt (or kick to the nuts) at exactly the right moment. He just had the crowd on a hook. I want to vote for him, but I'm not sure I have a good enough grip on his case to justify it. The Embry and Al Perez matches sure have me on a high at the moment.

I'm watching him and Ron Starr right now. Also great. I guess the difference between Invader and Dundee is just that I've seen more shades of Dundee--studio and arena, face and heel, brawling and a little more technical. That's not to say Invader lacks those shades. I'll watch some tag matches next.

• 5 years later...

Responding to El Boricua's post:

https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/topic/28666-carlos-colon/?do=findComment&comment=5947217

Because this was the appropriate thread for what I wanted to say. 

I'm glad El Boricua brings this up. Invader's 1986 is an all time great year. Folks should really give it a look. Any fans of Sangre Chicana, Perro Agauyo, Roddy Piper owe it to themselves to check out Invader I if they haven't. He has all time great performances against Ron Starr 9/19/86 and Al Perez 10/26/86 just to name 2 absolute must see matches. WIthout exaggeration, Invader I vs Al Perez is at the top of the shockingly great matches list. Imagine Al Perez in possibly the greatest brawl ever. You can't. Its impossible until you see it. But it happened and its just out there waiting for you to watch it and bask in the greatness. :)

I added a few matches to the Match Recommendation Google Doc linked here

https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/topic/52874-links/

The 9/86 match against Ron Starr is another must see Invader 1 performance. That was the match that really convinced me I was watching an all time great wrestler and then the Al Perez match was the sweetest icing possible on that cake. I saw your comments about Perro Aguayo in that thread, and when I first watched Invader 1 the folks I thought of were Sangre Chicana and Perro Aguayo. More so Chicana, but that's the family Invader 1 is in. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/19/2021 at 1:11 AM, elliott said:

I added a few matches to the Match Recommendation Google Doc linked here

https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/topic/52874-links/

I've just finished watching all the matches recommended there for Invader 1 and now view him as maybe the only wrestler from Puerto Rico that has a chance of making my list. Superb brawler and willing to put himself in extremely risky situations in one of the wildest promotions at the time.

• 9 months later...