Pro Wrestling Only

Place to Be Podcast Thread

Bigelow34

I like the idea of Piper as Champ, and would probably look back on Mania 2 more highly had that been the main event. However, It's hard to argue with Hogan's momentum and where it eventually led them. I wonder if Piper would have taken the leg drop and lost clean to Hogan at 2? It seems I remember Hogan saying that Piper would never agree to lose clean to him.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Pete Schirmacher are getting ready to celebrate Thanksgiving by checking out the 11/25/85 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss Pete & JT’s WrestleMania 33 trip, the debut of Dan Spivey, another go around for King Tonga, a rare Jesse Ventura face match, a brutal first MSG match for Hercules, the shocking Spider Screwjob, an interesting Tag Team Title match, an interesting holiday week in pop culture, another hot Steamboat/Muraco feud, a rare MSG appearance for Mr. Wrestling II, another jostle and much more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Pete as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-444-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-112585/

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Kelly Nelson are bidding farewell to 1985 by checking out the 12/30/85 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss a robust night of attendance across two cities, a chinlock filled opener, Lou Albano picks up another client, the improvement of Jim Neidhart, the sadness of Jose Luis Rivera, the evolution of Adorable Adrian Adonis, a red hot WWF Title match, the week in pop culture, a plodding power match between John Studd and Tony Atlas, some midget action, Jim Brunzell’s beard, a title match for the Hillbilly Contingency, 1985’s top match and much more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Kelly as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-445-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-123085/

It's been really fun following you guys as you journey through 85. I'll go ahead ask the following to you: After watching what you have for 85 this go around (and even what you've watched for the network adventure write-ups), which wrestlers/performers/things have you gained or increased appreciation for, and which have just gone down?

Look forward to following along into 86.

Thanks Boricua!

I have definitely gained an appreciation for Adrian Adonis... he has become one of my faves to watch. Begrudgingly I have even come to enjoy Lou Albano a bit... Dream Team as well...even Terry Gibbs as a solid heel hand.

I haven't really gone down on anyone per se... just reinforced my thoughts on some guys, especially Cousin Junior.

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott are kicking off a brand new year inside the Vault with a look at the Saturday Night’s Main Event from 1/4/86!

The boys discuss fun in the sun, a surprisingly kind of good match with the Hillbilly Contingency, a tremendously fun Hulk Hogan vs. Terry Funk WWF Title tilt, the beginning of a never ending feud, a big week in movie releases, the big Peace Match, the continuation of Ricky Steamboat’s feud with Mr. Fuji & Magnificent Muraco and much more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott & Justin as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-446-saturday-nights-main-event-iv-1486/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Kelly Nelson bundle up and brave the bitter cold as they take a look back at the 1/27/86 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss Danny Spivey working his way up the ladder, the variance in Jesse Ventura's commentary, George Wells' provocative jersey, Master P, a terrible debut for Ted Arcidi, a red hot Paul Orndorff vs. Big John Studd match, an under the radar Terry Funk/Scott McGhee match, an all time classic between Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage, the WWF's loaded roster, Rod Stewart, another bland Pedro Morales outing, a disastrous debut for Sivi Afi, the full transformation of Adrian Adonis, a useless George Steele match, a big Tag Team Title bout and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Kelly as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-447-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-12786/

Yeah this was good stuff and I love the enthusiasm. The way they debuted Sivi Afi was similar to how they put Dan Spivey in the US Express earlier. It was never outright said that he was Barry Windham but they brought him out with Rotunda with no mention of replacement. You were led to believe it was like that all along. I took it as a subtle way of keeping the boys in their place and reminding them they're replaceable. I'm sure there's other instances.

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, love is in the air as Justin, Scott and Kelly Nelson bask in the Valentine’s Day afterglow as they take a look back at the 2/17/86 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss Randy Savage’s big IC Title win, a decent little Poffo/Goulet opener, another rough outing for King Tonga, a hot Killer Bees vs. Hart Foundation match, the rebuilding of King Kong Bundy, the positioning of Bobby Heenan as lead manager, another installment of Ricky Steamboat and Don Muraco’s boiling feud, Rocky IV’s position in the greatest soundtrack pantheon, the aimless Tony Atlas, the in ring devolution of Adrian Adonis, another dud of a Ted Arcidi match, the final match between Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage and more, including end of show awards!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-448-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-21786/

I'm a week behind, but just finished the 01/27/1986 show. I'm watching along, so sometimes I have to play catch up. Anyways, I was all in with you guys on that Funk vs. Scott McGhee match (***). Also, that might be my all-time favorite Hogan/Savage match. It was fantastic! I'm pretty sure I had never seen that one before. This was a really fun card all together, and great show from you guys.

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott are inside the Vintage Vault and drawing close to WrestleMania with a look at the huge Saturday Night’s Main Event from 3/1/86!

The boys discuss the inaugural Slammy Awards, “Boxing” Bob vs. Mr T, the rebuilding of King Kong Bundy, Magnificent Muraco as #1 contender, a brutal attack on Hulk Hogan, a hot Tag Team Title match, the debut of the iconic Real American music video, a Junkyard Dog/Adrian Adonis rematch and much more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott & Justin as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-449-saturday-nights-main-event-v-3186/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, the luck of the Irish is with Justin, Scott and Pete Schirmacher as they they take a look back at the 3/16/86 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss a busy day and night in the WWF, the continuing expansion of the company, another Sivi Afi mess, the lethargic George Wells, the legendary Bull & Dump, some brutal Gorilla Monsoon commentary, a hot veteran brawl between Pedro Morales and Bob Orton, a solid win for Magnificent Muraco, the MSG debut of the Crush Girls, King Kong Bundy’s final WrestleMania tuneup, Mr. Fuji’s return to the MSG ring, the arrival of Jake Roberts, Lanny Poffo’s tough night, a thriller between Tito Santana and Randy Savage, a classic Haiti Kid interview, the continuation of the British Bulldogs’ feud with the Dream Team and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Pete as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-450-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-31686/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, it is time for the biggest extravaganza of the year as Scott, JT and John D'Amato relive WrestleMania 2!

The boys discuss the PTBN Greatest WWE Wrestler Ever Project, the logistics of running three venues, a very disappointing opening match, another installment of George Steele's infatuation with Elizabeth, an impressive win for Jake Roberts, going back to the Mr. T well, the absurd timing issues of the show, a worthless women's title match, Corporal Kirchner's revenge, the epic NFL vs. WWF battle royal, a tremendous Tag Team Title match, how they have protected Brutus Beefcake in Dream Team matches, the interesting commentary pairings, a feisty Ricky Steamboat vs. Hercules match, Adrian Adonis carrying the worthless Uncle Elmer, a wild, hot tag team brawl, Hulkamania vs. Bundymania and more, including end of show awards!
So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & John as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Kelly Nelson are welcoming in spring as they take a look back at the 4/22/86 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss Ernie Ladd, Rene Goulet and his scorpio claw, the youthful pairing of Tony Garea and Nikolai Volkoff, the debut of Paul Christy, another Sivi Afi masterpiece, an improving Brutus Beefcake, another installment of Randy Savage’s feud with Tito Santana, a hard hitting fight between Greg Valentine and Davey Boy Smith, a shitty week for music and movies, the rekindling of the USA vs. Iran feud, the aimless Pedro Morales, another win for Jake Roberts, a huge tag team main event and more, including end of show awards!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-452-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-42286/

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott are inside the Vintage Vault where we are still dealing with the fallout from WrestleMania with a look at the Saturday Night’s Main Event from 5/3/86!

The boys discuss buck washers, a big tag team opener, the end of the road for Terry Funk, the Battle of the Bulge, a happy farewell for Uncle Elmer, a really hot brawl between Adrian Adonis and Paul Orndorff, the week in pop culture, an all time classic attack by Jake Roberts, an interesting Tag Team Title bout and much more, including end of show awards!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-453-saturday-nights-main-event-vi-5386/