Pro Wrestling Only

Place to Be Podcast Thread

Bigelow34

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Kelly Nelson are spending a Monday night at the Garden as they take a look back at the 5/19/86 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss a feisty opening match, the direction of the Hart Foundation, a surprisingly fun Sivi Afi match, the circling of the drain for Corporal Kirchner, another red hot Tito Santana vs. Randy Savage match, a motivated Tony Atlas, the first MSG bout between Ricky Steamboat and Jake Roberts, Danny Spivey getting back on track, a plodding time limit draw, a big tag team main event and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Kelly as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-454-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-51986/

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This turned out to be a really fun show. I actually liked the Poffo match better than the Hart match, he's a pretty underrated puncher! Afi had the match of his career, so that was really entertaining and unexpected. I think it was probably even better than a *1/2 (not by much, but still that was cool). That is the first time I've seen that Roberts/Steamboat stuff from that show, and I'm kind of surprised it's talked about more. I thought it was really great. It was definitely my favorite part of the show, and I always thought there had to be match like this out there stemming from the DDT. Per usual, Savage and Tito were great. All around, I had a ton of fun watching this from top to bottom.

To be fair, the YouTube video I started last night disappeared this morning. So, I didn't have to watch that horrible time limit draw. I just searched for the tag main event this morning and watched that ha. I figured that match wouldn't be very good, and after I listened to your podcast I decided to skip that one all together :) I missed that match and the Spivey match. But, I watched the rest in it's entirety. Sounds like I didn't miss much with those ha.

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Kelly Nelson are kicking off summer in the city as they take a look back at the 6/14/86 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss a flat opening match, a terrible match between Pedro Morales and Iron Sheik, the continued attempt to disguise Dan Spivey as Barry Windham, brutal slop between George Steele and Nikolai Volkoff, more MSG midget action, Bruno Sammartino back in action, Chris Christie: Sports Talk Host, fat George Wells, a fiery fistfight between King Tonga and John Studd, the MSG return of Harley Race, another shitty finish to close the show and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Kelly as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-455-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-61486/

It is tough JKW... we are lucky to have some stuff archived for now but not really sure where else to turn.

Quick question...do you guys feel the show is tougher to listen to without the footage? Since a lot of these shows are now disappearing we were just debating if we should keep doing the MSG stuff. Or do you feel it is enjoyable either way?

Thanks! And ha!@Steve

Personally, I prefer to watch then listen. But, there have been a few times I listened then watched and was able to skip some of the really bad stuff. So, both times I really enjoyed it. I like the journey, so I like it best with the footage. However, I can honestly say that I think I'd enjoy the show just as much without the footage. Because it will still carry through the story and angles and get me to the next show that I will watch. If that makes sense...

It is tough JKW... we are lucky to have some stuff archived for now but not really sure where else to turn.

Quick question...do you guys feel the show is tougher to listen to without the footage? Since a lot of these shows are now disappearing we were just debating if we should keep doing the MSG stuff. Or do you feel it is enjoyable either way?

I think you should keep going as long as they remain relevant for storyline purposes. So I'm guessing the start of Raw and the monthly PPV setup.

I'm new to this but I say keep it up. I only listened to about 30 or 40 WTBBP episodes that pre-dated the WWE Network, so footage isn't a pre-requisite. On Between the Sheets they sometimes fall into a trap of assuming we the listener can see the clip that they're playing, so if you just minimize the "Look at [x]" without explaining it stuff, I'm fine whether the card is online or not.

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Kelly Nelson are battling through the heat as they take a look back at the 7/12/86 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss an interesting face vs. face opener, a very memorable battle royal, the most pedantic match of all time, another referee botch that kills a hot match, the debut of Billy Jack Haynes, a feisty little Tag Team Title match, Maven’s theme, more fun Harley Race offense, a fun hard hitting war between Greg Valentine and Junkyard Dog, a red hot cage match main event, the final MSG appearance of Bruno Sammartino for nearly three decades and more, including end of show awards!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-456-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-71286/

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Kelly Nelson are wading through the dog days of summer as they take a look back at the 8/25/86 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss the debut of Nick Kiniski, a fun tilt between Jake Roberts and Sivi Afi, the arrival of Slick, Paul Orndorff’s amazing heat, the first MSG appearance of the Machines, the final appearance of Tony Atlas, another win for Sheik and Volkoff, a fun sprint between Pedro Morales and Randy Savage, a Bulldogs Tag Title defense and more, including end of show awards!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-457-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-82586/

Think from all the feedback you've got so far that you've seen people don't really mind if the footage is out there for everyone to find and we are happy for your excellent descriptions of the shows to paint the picture! Personally, with so much wrestling out there I don't always get the time to look for/see the shows but always find the time to listen to your reviews, so I guess that's the way round you'd want it! Not exactly breaking news either, given he's been on a while now, but Kelly has been a great addition and brings a nice fresh perspective. Was also fun when you had Pete and Parv on for one shots.

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, we head north of the border for a huge night of action as Scott, JT and John D'Amato relive The Big Event!

The boys discuss a night full of shit commentary, Hoss Funk's farewell, King Tonga transitioning into Haku, Ted Arcidi's heel turn, the never-ending Junkyard Dog/Jimmy Hart feud, the arrival of Dick Slater, Lou Albano's last hurrah, the big Snake Pit showdown, another installment of the Billy Jack Haynes/Hercules feud, a hot Rougeau Brothers/Dream Team bout, Harley Race's coronation as King, an epic atmosphere for the main event and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & John as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-458-the-big-event/