Pro Wrestling Only

Place to Be Podcast Thread

Bigelow34

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, we head north of the border for a huge night of action as Scott, JT and John D'Amato relive The Big Event!

The boys discuss a night full of shit commentary, Hoss Funk's farewell, King Tonga transitioning into Haku, Ted Arcidi's heel turn, the never-ending Junkyard Dog/Jimmy Hart feud, the arrival of Dick Slater, Lou Albano's last hurrah, the big Snake Pit showdown, another installment of the Billy Jack Haynes/Hercules feud, a hot Rougeau Brothers/Dream Team bout, Harley Race's coronation as King, an epic atmosphere for the main event and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & John as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-458-the-big-event/

great show as always. What's the name of the song you played at the beginning? Great song.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, we head north of the border for a huge night of action as Scott, JT and John D'Amato relive The Big Event!

The boys discuss a night full of shit commentary, Hoss Funk's farewell, King Tonga transitioning into Haku, Ted Arcidi's heel turn, the never-ending Junkyard Dog/Jimmy Hart feud, the arrival of Dick Slater, Lou Albano's last hurrah, the big Snake Pit showdown, another installment of the Billy Jack Haynes/Hercules feud, a hot Rougeau Brothers/Dream Team bout, Harley Race's coronation as King, an epic atmosphere for the main event and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & John as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-458-the-big-event/

great show as always. What's the name of the song you played at the beginning? Great song.

Thanks Robert!

It was Redbone by Childish Gambino.

As any FYI, it isn't always caught up to date but we have a page that lists every in and out song we have used: http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-playlist/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Kelly Nelson are welcoming in the fall in the Big Apple as they take a look back at the 9/22/86 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss the PTBN luminaries and Boneheads appearing on the Travel Channel, the latest news on the health of Ric Flair, the arrival of the Islanders, another go around for Nick Kiniski, a fun tussle between Billy Jack Haynes and Bob Orton, the MSG debut of the Rougeau Brothers, a final Garden farewell to Tony Garea, and more, the dull debut of Mr. Electricity, a brutal SD Jones vs. Mr. X match, a hot Tito Santana vs. Harley Race bout, the return of Sika, HULK MACHINE~! and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Kelly as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-459-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-92286/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott are inside the Vintage Vault to kick off the new season Saturday Night's Main Event, looking at the episode from 10/4/86!

The boys discuss the return of Jesse Ventura, another installment of Hulk Hogan vs. Paul Orndorff, a big night for Roddy Piper, the culmination of the Jake Roberts/Ricky Steamboat feud, Adrian Adonis's pink slip, a strong title defense for the British Bulldogs, the comeback of Kamala and much more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott & Justin as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-460-saturday-nights-main-event-vii-10486/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Kelly Nelson are putting their final touches on their Halloween costumes and buying bags of candy as they take a look back at the 10/20/86 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss a Brutus Beefcake solo match, another fun Tama match, a disappointing showdown between Super Machine and King Kong Bundy, the debut of Matilda, a quality win for Jacques Rougeau, an all time classic Piper's Pit, Mike Rotundo running on fumes, a bruising struggle between Greg Valentine and Davey Boy Smith, SD Jones' weight gain, Haku dragging Nikolai Volkoff to a watchable match, Gene Okerlund's pitiful commentary, a big Canadian showdown, surprising battle royal winners and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Kelly as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-461-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-102086/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Kelly Nelson are carving the turkey and settling in for a post feast chat as they take a look back at the 11/24/86 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss the I Love the 90s Concert, a disappointing Billy Jack Haynes/Bob Orton rematch, a nice Hercules performance, a wild brawl between monsters, Lanny Poffo carrying Steve Lombardi, a big night for Mr. Fuji, a red hot tag team main event, the impressive run of Harley Race and his GWWE candidacy, MIDGET MANIA~!, a strong debut for Koko B. Ware, a surprising win for the Dream Team and more, including end of show awards!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-462-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-112486/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott are inside the Vintage Vault to close out November with a look at the 11/29/86 Saturday Night’s Main Event!

The boys discuss the Hollywood feel of the episode, a fantastic Randy Savage/Jake Roberts match, a feisty Hulk Hogan/Hercules tilt, the overall quality of Hercules as a wrestler so far, a wild Roddy Piper/Bob Orton brawl, the passing of Walter Becker, a confusing loss by the Hart Foundation, a soft win for Koko B. Ware, what could have been with Dick Slater and much more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott & Justin as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-463-saturday-nights-main-event-viii-112986/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Santa Pete Schirmacher are feeling festive, enjoying their gifts and snuggling by the fire as they take a look at the 12/26/86 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss Bobby Heenan in the booth, a pedestrian opener, the arrival of Honky Tonk Man, the continued misuse of Dick Slater, a moribund Women’s Title match, a terrible return to the WWF by Dino Bravo, a fun Hogan/Kamala title match,a big weekend of movie releases, a rare win for Jose-Luis Rivera, the big Hillbilly Jim/Mr. Fuji tuxedo match, a fun Santana/Hercules battle, a worthless final match and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Pete as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-464-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-122686/

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott & Kelly are inside the Vintage Vault to ring in 1987 with a look at the 1/3/87 Saturday Night’s Main Event!

The boys start by talking about Tom Petty, paying tribute to the late, great Bobby “The Brain” Heenan and then continue by recapping the year that was 1986 in the WWF.

After that, they then chat about the epic steel cage blowoff between Hulk Hogan and Paul Orndorff, another installment in the George Steele/Randy Savage feud, the return of Ricky Steamboat, an awkward brawl between Junkyard Dog and Harley Race, a red hot fight between Roddy Piper and Adrian Adonis, Blackjack Mulligan’s pajamas and much more, including end of show awards!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-465-saturday-nights-main-event-ix-1387-1986-year-in-review-bobby-heenan-tribute/

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Tim Capel are braving the frigid cold and crisp, cool air to take a look back at the 1/19/87 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss the arrival of the dismal Frenchy Martin, the debut of the Can-Am Connection, the MSG arrival of Ron Bass, Paul Orndorff slumming it with George Steele, a terrible showing for Jerry Allen, the big rematch between Hulk Hogan vs. Kamala, a huge appearance by Andre the Giant, a brutal match between Lanny Poffo and Red Demon, another battle between Junkyard Dog and Harley Race, the continued elevation of the Hart Foundation and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Tim as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-466-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-11987/

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Kelly Nelson are riding out the ice cold winter at the 2/23/87 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss Sal Bellomo's Rocky Balboa cosplay, the arrival of Demolition, a nifty win for Koko B. Ware, the MSG debut of Butch Reed, the Hart Foundation's first Tag Team Title defense in MSG, the rough debut of Outback Jack, the infiltration of Australian culture into the United States in the late 80s, the first MSG match for Jake Roberts as a face, a somewhat clean win for Honky Tonk Man, a massive, awesome six-man main event war, Roddy Piper's MSG farewell and more, including end of show awards!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-467-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-22387/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott deliver the PTBP’s seventh annual Halloween Spooktacular! The boys are hanging out chatting about wrestling and life and are joined by various trick or treaters along the way... including visits from popular wrestling personalities and podcast hosts.

Oh, and this episode goes so far off the rails at times you may never find your way back. Sex! Wrestling! Halloween costumes! CWF! We have it all! Guests include:

Kevin Kelly - New Japan Pro Wrestling

Timothy Buechner - Lucha Undead; This Week in Wrestling
Mirandia Berthold & Jennifer Smith - Geek & Sassy
Tim Capel - Survey Says
Peter Winson - Greetings From Allentown
Max Mitchell & Travis Woloshyn - Lucha Afterground

So fire up this action-packed episode, grab a pumpkin full of candy, put on your costume and join Scott and Justin because it is time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-468-seventh-annual-halloween-spooktacular/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott are inside the Vintage Vault to officially welcome in the spring weather with a look at the 3/14/87 Saturday Night’s Main Event!

The boys discuss yet another Randy Savage/George Steele title match, the lack of promotion for WrestleMania, a classic battle royal, the booking of Andre the Giant, a questionable loss for Jake Roberts, the suddenly red hot Hart Foundation, Ricky Steamboat’s momentum and much more, including end of show awards!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-469-saturday-nights-main-event-viii-31487/

I seem to recall reading that it was around this time that SNME was sort of separated from the rest of the company, in terms of promotion. I recall it was very rare when Superstars and Challenge would hype one and likewise, they didn't seem to hype PPV"s all that often. I think I remember reading this was done on purpose, SNME had to be kept separate from the rest of the company in a sense, in order to make NBC play ball.

I was thinking that, and theyd be proven right, they figured that the hype on their regular shows would be enough to bring in a massive audience as well.

But yeah, I can see it more of an keep this a separate entity thing for NBC.

Maybe thats why they had Fight Forever with the Savage-Steele fued on the SNMEs. Granted they did Jake-Savage, but its almost like they wanted to be safe especially knowing what was coming in a few weeks, as opposed to running someone fresh that might throw a wrench into the plans for the title change due to a massive reaction versus Savage?

I seem to recall reading that it was around this time that SNME was sort of separated from the rest of the company, in terms of promotion. I recall it was very rare when Superstars and Challenge would hype one and likewise, they didn't seem to hype PPV"s all that often. I think I remember reading this was done on purpose, SNME had to be kept separate from the rest of the company in a sense, in order to make NBC play ball.

This seems to be the answer I am seeing most. Basically NBC didn't want to be used as an infomercial and wanted strong programming.

It was still jarring how far they went not to mention it... like once or twice probably could have been OK.

I watched the Prime Time prior to WM3 as well, and I was kind of surprised at the lack of push to purchase the PPV as well. They did mention it more than the SNME, but the matches they showed weren't really a huge push towards the PPV. Bobby and Guerilla had their usual back and forth about Hogan and Andre, and they mentioned the show was 6 days away, but they didn't come out and say go buy the PPV (or mention it right before they went off the air). I found it a little odd. Maybe there are some commercials that are edited out of the Network that we don't see. Or, maybe I'm just so used to being beaten over the head with things now it just felt like they didn't push it that hard.

I will add I loved that episode of SNME. The battle royal was awesome, loved the Piper stuff, really enjoyed the Roberts/Bundy match, and all things Macho Man.

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott are joined by Kelly Nelson, Pete Schirmacher and John D'Amato to break down the Road to WrestleMania III for the two top matches on the show.

The boys discuss the card positions of Ricky Steamboat and Randy Savage in early 1987, Steamboat's overall career to this point, a potential what if Randy Savage opponent for Pontiac, thoughts on the feud as a whole, other great classic matches between the two around the horn, Andre the Giant's heel turn, other potential opponents for Hulk Hogan, Bobby Heenan and Jesse Ventura's role in the feud, the earlier battles between Hogan and Andre and so much more!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin and the crew as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-470-the-road-to-wrestlemania-iii/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, we head to Pontiac for one of the biggest PPV events in history as Scott, JT and John D'Amato relive WrestleMania III!

The boys discuss a big win for the Can-Am Connection, a solid power battle between Billy Jack Haynes and Hercules, King Kong Bundy's midget attack, the blowoff between Junkyard Dog and Harley Race, the end of the Dream Team, Roddy Piper's farewell match and would could have been if he stayed around, Danny Davis getting his stiff comeuppance, Butch Reed's meandering win, the match psychology in the legendary battle between Ricky Steamboat and Randy Savage, a big notch in the belt for Honky Tonk Man, the arrival of Jim Duggan, Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant and much more, including end of show awards!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-471-wrestlemania-iii/

Started listening to the Wrestlemania 3 episode and wanted to chime in about the Race vs. JYD match. If I'm remembering correctly, this was supposed to be JYD's last appearance, which is why Race ends up winning a match that you would have expected JYD to win due to the build. The post match was probably their way to give JYD a send off to the fans cheers. They would end up bringing JYD back about three months later due to a rash of injuries and/or drug suspensions (also Steamboat took time off due to his son being born) left them thin on the face side.

In my case it's gotten better in terms of supply access, but going on now to three months without electricity (since Hurricane Irma so before Maria tore through here). Have no idea when it'll come back (it's likely it will be sometime in 2018). I've been fortunate that my office rented a temporary workspace in a place that does have electricity, so I can at least charge up my phone and tablet there during the day (and I've been able top catch up on my podcast backlog at work). Other than the dark nights and driving on streets that resemble a demolition derby since there are no streetlights, it's gotten better in my case. Overall still a lot of work to be done on the island though.