Pro Wrestling Only

Place to Be Podcast Thread

Bigelow34

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Peter Winson are inside the Vintage Vault and wading through the WrestleMania fallout with a look at the 4/30/88 Saturday Night's Main Event!

The boys discuss another fun Hercules brawl, a new feud for Andre the Giant, an ugly injury to Danny Davis, One Man Gang's big night, Randy Savage's first national TV title defense, a shaky match between Demolition and British Bulldogs, Ted DiBiase's bounce back win, a good Rick Rude match (!) and much more, including end of show awards!

They then wrap with a big announcement about Episode 500!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin and Peter as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-494-saturday-nights-main-event-xii-4-30-88/

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Jennifer Smith are prepping for a hot summer in the city with a look at the 5/27/88 Madison Square Garden house show!

The crew discuss some interesting commentary about the arrival of Billy Graham in the announce booth, poor Greg Valentine, the early stages of the Rougeau Brothers heel turn, a fun power war between Brutus Beefcake and One Man Gang, the sad departure of Tama, a big win for Bobby Heenan, the kickoff of the brand new PTBN Tournament, a rocking Savage/DiBiase rematch, a feisty showing for Ken Patera, a mess of a final match and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Jennifer as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-495-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-5-27-88/

Looking forward to your podcast recalling the 6/25/88 MSG card. I attended that card and the Savage-DiBiase cage match was one of the five greatest matches I ever saw at MSG. Quick question: starting in May of 1989, MSG shuts down every summer for a few years for renovations. The MSG network would show cards from the meadowlands and Nassau coliseum in place of the Garden. Will you be doing podcasts on those shows as well?

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Stacey O'Loughlin are sweating through the city heat with a look at the 6/25/88 Madison Square Garden house show!

The crew discuss a tough day in wrestling over the weekend, the MSG debut of Big Boss Man, the continued evolution of the Rougeau Brothers, poor Greg Valentine, another attack on Billy Graham, a bomb throwing hoss war, the end of the road for Bam Bam Bigelow, the infamous weasel suit match, a feisty Bad News Brown/Jim Neidhart brawl, a searing hot cage match and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Stace as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-496-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-6-25-88/

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Kelly Nelson are battling the dog days of summer with a look at the 7/25/88 Madison Square Garden house show!

The crew discuss the passing of Jim Neidhart, the arrival of Terry Taylor, the MSG debut of the Rockers, the continued face turn of Bret Hart, a hard hitting Valentine/Muraco battle, a fun Demolition title defense, a hot squash debut for the Powers of Pain, the first appearance of Haku as King, a colossal main event and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Kelly as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-497-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-7-25-88/

About to listen to the new episode, but noticed on Twitter you guys mentioned this has a war between Andre and Hacksaw...

They do not have this MSG episode on the Network, but they do have 07/15/1988 from the LA Sports Arena in the Old School section.  There is really fun battle between Andre and Hacksaw there as well, and my guess is that it might be pretty similar.  Regardless, it's a fun card for anyone following along that might want to check it out.  Simply an FYI.

I do not believe so...  Boss Man squash (Scott Casey I think), Rockers/Conquistadors, Hacksaw/Andre, Jim Neidhart/Bad News, Warrior/Heenan, and the main event is Rude vs. Jake.  There may be another match I'm missing.  Also, it's only two hours on the Network, so I guess it could be a possibility it was edited out.  They said it was shot for the Z channel and Ventura, Guerilla, and Superstar do the commentary.  I do know the very next episode of Prime Time (3 hour special that aired on 7/18/1988) opens with a Santana/Valentine match that appears to have been taped before or for the Wrestling Challenge.  I just started that episode of Prime Time. 

For those following along, I also just watched another LA Sports Arena show on the Network from 08/13/1988.  It's not as good as the one from July, but it does have a young Owen Hart on the show as Blue Angel.  Curt Hennig wrestles, and he's in his AWA gear (and, uses his Dad's old finisher).  Also, you get Savage vs. Andre and Rude vs. Jake.  I enjoyed Savage/Andre, but Rude/Jake was pretty meh.  They also have a Philadelphia Spectrum show from 08/27/1988 I plan on checking out prior to SummerSlam with another  DiBiase/Savage match, and another Rude/Jake encounter.  I think you guys are right in the idea that POP seemed more like an LOD clone than Demolition did at the time, or at least to me.  As a kid, I always thought of Demolition as more like KISS than I did the Road Warriors...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Steve Riddle are grabbing a beer and a brat and settling into check out WWF WrestleFest 1988!

The crew discuss more WWF/JCP shenanigans, the continued push of Big Boss Man, the malaise of Hercules, a bland showing for the fat Killer Bees, Bret Hart's continued issues with Bad News Brown, Jim Duggan as IC Champion, Billy Graham's excitement over the Powers of Pain, another hot Savage/DiBiase war, the arrival of Curt Hennig, Jake Roberts hunting Rick Rude, another Ultimate Warrior weasel suit match win, a potential British Bulldogs heel turn, a forgotten Hogan/Andre classic and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Steve as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-498-wwf-house-show-wrestlefest-1988/

On 8/27/2018 at 11:09 PM, Bigelow34 said:

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Steve Riddle are grabbing a beer and a brat and settling into check out WWF WrestleFest 1988!

The crew discuss more WWF/JCP shenanigans, the continued push of Big Boss Man, the malaise of Hercules, a bland showing for the fat Killer Bees, Bret Hart's continued issues with Bad News Brown, Jim Duggan as IC Champion, Billy Graham's excitement over the Powers of Pain, another hot Savage/DiBiase war, the arrival of Curt Hennig, Jake Roberts hunting Rick Rude, another Ultimate Warrior weasel suit match win, a potential British Bulldogs heel turn, a forgotten Hogan/Andre classic and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Steve as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-498-wwf-house-show-wrestlefest-1988/

You and Scott were hilarious commentating on Graham’s love of all the juiced up wrestlers. Graham was so god awful as a color commentator in 88. POP came in with a huge push and were super over. I think Fuji becoming their manager at Survivor Series killed their momentum 

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and John D'Amato are ready for the hottest night of the summer as they dive into SummerSlam 1988

The crew discuss the WWF adding a brand new PPV, Billy Graham as an announcer, real life issues between the British Bulldogs and Rougeau Brothers, Brutus Beefcake getting sliced up, a sloppy Patera/Brown encounter, the fading JYD, another Powers of Pain vs. Bolsheviks battle, a special Brother Love Show, Ultimate Warrior's big night, the sluggish Dino Bravo, Don Muraco's final appearance, a hot Tag Team Title match, another Big Boss Man squash, a fine showing for Hercules, a MEGA main event and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & John as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-499-summerslam-1988/

Looking at Cawthon's site, it looks like the "switch" of who was going to be ending Honky's reign of terror occurred around the 15th, as Warrior started to be inserted into house show matches against Honky, the last Beefcake match was on August 13th.  Oddly Beefcake's house show opponent afterwards was Hercules!

The Warrior-Honky pre-SummerSlam matches included a Superstars taping in Providence on the 23rd with a phantom change, so they could tape some Warrior IC squash defenses., and the title went back to Honky at the end of the night (the listings doesn't say how the Dusty Finish occurred (or if it was a true Dusty Finish as opposed to Hart and Honky complaining) just that the decision of the Warrior-Honky match had been reversed).  

As well as same scenario with a Challenge taping in Hartford on the 24th, though this time Warrior won by DQ and took the belt with him backstage (kind of a dickish heel thing to do, but I guess ANYONE would do that to Honky Tonk Man at that point), so they could tape defenses for down the line, and the belt was surrendered back at the end of the night.

And the match was on the Canadian tour in the days leading up to SummerSlam.  

FWIW, I noticed this for the first time watching it recently, but Warrior completely knocks Howard Finkle off the apron as he's running the ropes!  At first I thought the guy taking the bump was Jimmy Hart, to get him "out of the way" but nope, Warrior knocks Fink down as Fink was making his way out of the ring!

Great show - just a quick correction that the Jacques - Dynamite incident happened after SummerSlam. That's also the reason Survivors was booked with the Rougeaus eliminated a good half hour before the Bulldogs - allowed them to leave the building before Dynamite could exact revenge on his last night in the company.

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott are celebrating the 500th episode of the show in style!

The boys take a trip through time to reminisce about the past and what the show has meant to them and Place to Be Nation. And after the memories comes the competition... a giant wrestling trivia tournament! 25 Nation members throw down to see who will be the PTB Podcast 500 Trivia champion!

And of course, there are some hijinks along the way as all of your favorites will be in the house!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin and a host of others as it’s time for Place to Be Podcast Episode 500!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-500-trivia-tournament-a-trip-down-memory-lane/

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and John D’Amato are picking apples, drinking cider, eating pumpkin pie and digging into the 9/29/88 Madison Square Garden house show!

The crew discuss an awkward finish to the opener, a showcase win for the Rockers, the end of the road for Junkyard Dog, the lack of depth on the face side, the final appearance of Brian Blair, a red hot WWF Title war, a disastrous debut for Sandy Beach, Brutus Beefcake’s attempt at revenge, a solid Bad News Brown match, a big IC Title rematch and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & John as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-501-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-9-29-88/

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and John D’Amato are picking apples, drinking cider, eating pumpkin pie and digging into the 10/24/88 Madison Square Garden house show!

The crew discuss Roman Reigns’ shocking news, the bloated Heenan Family, Paul Roma back to working singles, Big Boss Man on the doorstep of a huge push, a hot Tag Team Title match, the controversial Hercules/DiBiase feud, the MSG arrival of Blue Blazer, another great Andre the Giant showing, Frenchy Martin being useless, the continuation of the fun Hart Foundation/Rougeaus feud, an interesting stipulation and more, including end of show awards!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-502-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-10-24-88/

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott deliver the PTBP’s eighth annual Halloween Spooktacular! The boys are joined by the hosts of Talk’n Pop, Jennifer Smith & Tim Capel to live watch the cult classic Ready to Rumble!

The crew break down the cast and crew, Eric Bischoff’s poor timing, beautiful Lusk, WY, the bizarre gimmick of Jimmy King, crabs, Martin Landau slumming it, King of Queens, lots of shit jokes, Sid’s facials, triple cage matches and more!

So fire up this action-packed episode, grab a pumpkin full of candy, put on your costume and join Scott, Justin, Jenny & Tim because it is time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-503-eighth-annual-halloween-spooktacular/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Peter Winson are inside the Vintage Vault, with costumes on and candy in hand as they take a look at the 10/29/88 Saturday Night’s Main Event!

The boys discuss the Hercules/DiBiase angle, the final beats of the Roberts/Rude feud, a wild Andre the Giant segment, Jimmy Hart continuing to torture the Hart Foundation, a tidy victory by Hulk Hogan, Ken Patera’s terrible hair, Big Boss Man’s fast rise up the ladder and much more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin and Peter as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-504-saturday-nights-main-event-xvii-10-29-88/