Pro Wrestling Only

Pat O'Connor

Grimmas

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In addition to the matches above, I'd add the readily available one against Lorenzo Parente from St. Louis in '62. The interview segment at the end is awesome too. O'Connor - particular in his younger days - seems like an older candidate who more modern-minded voters could get into. Lots of highspots in his finishes, and while he's still pretty mat-based, it's really fast paced stuff that looks as tenacious as the powerbomb-on-the-apron junk of today. If you look like you might actually win a match with your headlock or a headscissors, you're doing it right.

• 4 months later...

O'Connor will make my list. The Rogers match is an all time classic, he looked great in every match he was in upped on the Chicago Film Archives and was good at playing a heel in the Rikidozan match (in which he also does maybe the greatest sell ever for Rikidozan's Kesagiri Chop). As far as his All Japan old man stuff there's a recently upped match vs. Mighty Inoue which serves as a wonderful showcase for his matwork, the Mantell/Jumbo tag where he was easily the best performer in the match and significantly enrichened it with his interferences and the Murdoch match which has already been discussed plenty.

• 7 years later...

I think Pat O'Connor is good but not great in the Chicago Film Archives stuff, he's outshone by Thesz and Gagne for sure and probably Buddy Rogers too (despite the small number of Nature Boy matches). I wish we had more of his matches from the 1975 AJPW Open League because the two that we have (vs Murdoch and vs Inoue) are very good for very different reasons.