Pro Wrestling Only

Raymond Rougeau

Grimmas

• 7 months later...

Fucking great in Montreal, to the point where you wish we had a ton of the footage from there. I think he could have been a Rick Martel or Tito level/style face but I can't prove it. Not a fan of the team with his brother in the WWF which hurts him. Not a top 100 guy based on the footage that exists, but I'd think about him for a 200 and that is hardly a backhanded compliment.

Besides the Garvins and Roadies what stuff exists from Montreal?. His tag team with his brother is one of the most full and mediocre tag teams ever.

Jacques/Ray Rougeau v. Frenchy Martin/Pierre Lefebure

Heels go for the ambush, but the heroes cut them off and have them reeling right away. Man the Rougeau drop down/vaulting crossbody spot really is pretty cool. Fucking absurd criss cross spot with Frenchy running right through a dropkick. At this point the announcer claims this is just clips of a match that went a half hour - I have my doubts of this for a variety of reasons. Man Jacques's floatover and leaping press combo ruled, but he turns away from the action and gets drilled with a cheap shot to his leg. They are working over Jacques pretty nastily, including a moment where Frenchy seems to be deliberately grabbing his dick and yanking it. I have to give it to the heels as they are super expressive and look the part to the point where little shit like a smash on the apron comes across as really vicious. Minor cut here and Pierre misses a seated splash which leads to the Ray hot tag. Ray hit a pretty cool looking senton and then a nice floatover suplex for a near fall. Awesome sequence as Ray locks on the sleeper on Frenchy, but Pierre comes behind the ref and crushes Jacques with a nasty crotch drop on the top rope. Heels double team Ray, but Jacques comes to andhits the heels in the balls for a dq. I don't buy for a second that there is more than a couple of minutes missing off of this and what is here is really good stuff.

Jacques/Ray Rougeau v. Pierre Lefebure/Sailor White

Really cool opening as the Rougeau's come out hot and hit a neat sequence with a misdirection atomic drop, dropkick, leaping splash combo that looked really fluid and actually set up a cool near fall on Lefebure. White comes in and takes a great near fall off of a dropk down/crossbody combo and then another off of a sick looking Jacques double stomp, then Ray comes in and crushes White with a deep powerslam that actually got me out of my seat. White corners Jacques but ends up steamrolling Lefebure and then flailing around with some more big bumps. Really liked Sailor White's desperation in Ray's headlock as he is pulling hair, smashing his arm, complaining of a choke et. Sailor tags out, but Pierre eats a huge double dropkick almost immediately. Heels finally take over as Ray gets caught in the back coming off the ropes with a knee and White locks on a bearhug. Ray breaks out with a hip toss and goes for a sleeper but Lefebure breaks it up and ends up locking on his own bear hug, with Ray breaking free so Lefebure goes to an ab stretch. Jacques breaks it up, but Lefebure stays in control and the fans are throwing shit in the ring. Lefebure locks on a Boston Crab, which Jacques quickly breaks up and they do a nice rope running spot leading to a double knockdown with Jacques getting he hot tag. All hell breaks lose and the heels manager's walking stick ends up getting used as a weapon with the match getting tossed. Heel offense could have been better and the finish sucked, but this was a really fun match.

I know not of the fun you speak of nor do I remember MONSTER heat. Yes, they were definitely better as heels or I should say Jacques was better as a heel. Raymond had checked out by then. The babyface portion of their run was just dreadfully boring.

I will say that I LOVE, LOVE The Rockers vs Rougeaus match that is pretty polarizing. I think it is a contender for the best WWF tag match of the 80s. The Rougeaus were not Killer Bees-level mediocre.

• 2 weeks later...

I will say that I LOVE, LOVE The Rockers vs Rougeaus match that is pretty polarizing. I think it is a contender for the best WWF tag match of the 80s.

The London one ? If so, yeah, it's a riot.

I have a hard time not thinking about Raymond first and foremost as the official french speaking announcer for WWF TV in the 90's.