Pro Wrestling Only

Rick Steiner

Grimmas

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to comment on both the Steiners individually, because I think they are probably the easiest guys to scoff at who made my list.

There's been a lot of talk recently about how important FUN is in watching pro wrestling. Some of the most fun I've had is watching the bully-prick jocks Rick and Scott throw guys around for fun. I will say more on this in Scott thread.

For Rick, his 1989 is pretty underrated and the Rick vs. Varsity Club stuff produces some career-best material for both him and Mike Rotunda.

Also, while I'd agree that he has basically zero understanding of even fundamental psychology, Rick Steiner could wrestle and with such a solid amatuer background could do some of the chain and catch stuff better than a lot of guys. I dunno, I think the Steiners are the biggest victims of this "working smart" thing. Sometimes, y'know, who cares. The matches are an adrenaline rush, and I don't really see a huge amount to separate why I like them from why I like Brock Lesnar.

I've got the entire NWA '89 run on disc just itching for me to dig into it. Plan was to finish the Horsemen set and then go to '89 to stay chronological, but we know what happens to plans. Haven't watched any singles Rick in forever. Like wrestling generations forever. All I recall are some tag highlights with the New Japan boys, Doom, Nasties, and the Sting/Luger Superbrawl out. All solid affairs but nothing that would've made me think of him on a GWE level.

While I doubt it happens by deadline I'm looking forward to refreshing things here.

I watched all of the NWA in 1989 a few years back and one of my biggest takeaways was that Rick Steiner is fucking awesome. He made Mike Rotunda look good -- like, really good. He's a better mat wrestler than you think. He was super over and could keep up the loud pops he'd generate throughout an entire match.

And that's before you factor in any of the work he did as part of the Steiner Brothers.

I didn't think he'd make my top 100, but when I whittled everything down, there he was in the top 100. Can't guarantee he'll stay there by the time I submit, but he's there now and not moving despite some of my efforts to try and bump him down.