Pro Wrestling Only

Bob Orton Jr.

Grimmas

I'm bumping this because Orton is a guy that is loved by other wrestlers, and often talked about as a great hand. I definitely think he was a good worker, but I've never understood what about him was equal to the praise he gets from some old timers. I would be interested to see if anyone here has a laundry list of matches and/or a meaningful write up they could/would make on Orton.

I just watched his versus Hogan from the first SNME. Orton's good in that match, but he's not great, in fact it's Hogan who is great and drives the match and by the end is pretty much carrying Orton to what would have been a great match with about five more minutes and a better ending. Not sure what this says about Orton on the whole, but thought it was interesting nonetheless.

• 5 months later...

I like Orton a lot. Really smooth execution, could mix it up on the mat and brawl really well, had some nice high-end offence, bumped and stooged very well, but still maintained an aura of toughness (unlike, say, Adonis, who's bumping was too liable to cross over into ridiculousness). Extremely hard worker too. I saw him against a number of guys who were either unable to or uninterested in doing much of anything, and Orton worked his ass off to make the matches entertaining. The big mark against Bob, from what I can tell, is the lack of footage of him from his pre-WWF days. I didn't really see much out there. I'll probably find a spot for him somewhere towards the bottom of my list.

• 1 month later...

I would like Bob Orton Jr to make my list, but need to collate a watching list.

Any and all info a recommendations welcome.

As far as I can tell, there are only four matches of his tagging with Dick Slater on tape:

Dick Slater/Bob Orton, Jr. vs Wahoo McDaniel/Mark Youngblood

Dick Slater/Bob Orton, Jr. vs Ric McCord/Keith Larsen (Ric Flair Runs In & Attacks Slater & Orton)

Dick Slater/Bob Orton, Jr. vs Scott McHee/Steve Muzlin

And this ...

A Dory match that escaped my radar!

• 8 months later...
  • 5 years later...