• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#41 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10265 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

This is vaguely anecdotal, but there was a highly touted AJ vs Daniels match from a few years ago. I think it was a FCA. I remember enjoying Styles a lot in it but getting frustrated because Daniels kept doing stupid things and screwing up the match. I get the feeling that this might be a common theme for most of AJ's career, and I might underrate him accordingly.

#42 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4441 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

I finally watched the AJ-Suzuki match from this year's G-1 and it was sensational. AJ delivered one of his best character performances, reacting to Suzki's violence and insanity. And he did a fantastic job tweaking some of his usual offense to make it feel like an organic response to what Suzki was doing. I know I'm hardly the first to say this, but it really made me wonder what kind of career AJ might have pumped out, given the right opposition and context.

#43 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1427 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:44 AM

The 2003 ROH AJ/Paul London match that was London's last match before heading to the WWE was really good save the ending. Some good leg work in the match and I remember it being a lot different than the ROH matches that were going at the time because it looked like there was a concerted effort to tell a story, which was missing in ROH back then. That sold me on AJ being a lot more than a spot monkey.

#44 Jesse Ewiak

Jesse Ewiak
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:01 AM

I've said it before. AJ Styles is what would happen if Sting was actually a great worker, but stuck in a company even more screwy and self-destructive so that no one wants to wade through the shit booking and storylines to get to the matches. 

#45 Graham Crackers

Graham Crackers
  • Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:31 PM

That cage match against Abyss was awesome. I totally didn't expect that. It's a shame that the only other match I've seen from that show (AMW vs Team Canada) also features brawling outside the cage but what do you expect? This is TNA, not a promotion that lays out their cards in a logical fashion.

#46 Zero

Zero

World's Strongest

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:02 PM

I remember a few really great Styles/Red matches during TNA's weekly PPV days. 

#47 y2stump

y2stump
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:14 AM

AJ is one of a handful of active guys I'll consider. Right now I've got him high 40's. His athleticism & bumping are on a separate level that almost make up for his short comings. He's an ultimate babyface IMO; undersized, works well from underneath, gets some great sympathy. Also, can't discount his tag work especially with Chris Daniels.

#48 Benbeeach

Benbeeach
  • Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

In a world with no Danielson, he's the best US indy worker of that entire generation, and spent huge chunks of that time, without the opportunities or infrastructure of his peers (his doing of course, but a man's gotta eat) He's a top 150 guy, if not top 100, if not top 50, I'm ABSOLUTELY SURE of it. If he's not a top 100 guy it's not because he didn't possess top 100 talent, top 100 offense, selling, structure, innovation, etc. Just spent his formative years . . . in hell. It's the only case against him.

#49 Shining Wiz

Shining Wiz

I am SOOOOO not popular

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

I just watched him take a local worker who looks and wrestles like a local worker to a 3 star match on local tv. The promotion is called WrestleCentre and I think the shows are online somewhere.

My point being, AJ is much better either than I had thought he was or than he could be in TNA. Between this Indy run and his NJPW run, he's jumping into contention for me.

#50 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2736 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:07 PM

I've decided that AJ vs. Samoa Joe at Turning Point is my official pick for best match in TNA history. That may sound like damning with faint praise, but it's legitimately a really good match.

#51 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9099 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:21 AM

I was a NWA/WCW guy in the late 80's and 90's. When they went out of business I gave TNA a try. I got behind AJ and thought he was a good piece of talent. I went and seeked out his pre TNA work. That was pretty good for a young guy. He should make my list. I watched his match from the G1 with Suzuki last night and it was strong . They really told a pretty compelling story. Styles selling of the arm was great. I thought the run in kinda hurt the match. Some real fun reversals. The match cliqued. I thought it was in the 4 1/4*. With the NJ streaming network I'm really excited to try a product I haven't viewed regularly in years.

#52 chrislatimer

chrislatimer
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:30 AM

hes in my top 100.. hes a bit to spottacular for me. and also not the greatest at psychology you will ever see.

fun to watch wrestle though.

#53 Goodear

Goodear
  • Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

Styles to me is 'fun to watch' the same way a blockbuster summer movie with no emotional core would be.  He draws zero feeling from me other than a 'hey, that was neat' from his athletic ability.  He seems like one of those guys who gets the physicality of wrestling but none of the intangibles that make someone truly great.

His choice of finisher that he's going to cripple someone with one day is another negative. 

#54 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:06 PM

Is it cause it'll cripple someone or because it is shit?

#55 Benbeeach

Benbeeach
  • Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:14 PM

AJ Styles, spectacular spots, devoid of meat and potatoes I think is a misnomer if you've ever actually watched him in any sort of depth. His spots are excellent, but the idea that he's a guy just running through them not focusing on a story, selling, or structure, is frankly lazy. There are plenty of guys who fit this description, AJ is better than all of them. This is a fair criticism of . . . 07 PAC or something, not AJ Styles 

#56 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 1843 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:45 PM

Why the hell did WWE never pick him up? 

re: WWE - Kevin Kelly told the story that it was down to AJ and someone else from a tryout to get into OVW and despite KK pressing for them to go with AJ, they passed given his size.

Didn't he get a low money offer to go to OVW (or whatever the WWE's developmental territory was at the time) and refuse to take it because he'd have to relocate and jeopardize his wife's high paying job in the process? I swear I remember hearing something along those lines a while back.

#57 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4492 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

Why the hell did WWE never pick him up? 

re: WWE - Kevin Kelly told the story that it was down to AJ and someone else from a tryout to get into OVW and despite KK pressing for them to go with AJ, they passed given his size.

Didn't he get a low money offer to go to OVW (or whatever the WWE's developmental territory was at the time) and refuse to take it because he'd have to relocate and jeopardize his wife's high paying job in the process? I swear I remember hearing something along those lines a while back.
Or she was going to school, but yeah.

#58 benjaminkicks

benjaminkicks
  • Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

I've been watching a lot of Styles matches lately, and my opinion of him has really gone up. It might be hyperbolic to say, but I think that, besides Daniel Bryan, Styles might be the best U.S. based worker to emerge since 2000. I really think he's that good.

Not totally sure where that gets him ranked on a project like this, but for me at least, I don't think top 50 is out of the question.

#59 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1427 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:40 PM

He's going to be on my list. I think since the indies became a big deal over a decade ago, he's been one of the best workers around, and his work in the last 18 months or so has been tremendous. If he has another good year in him with NJPW, I think it's gonna be enough to clinch him a spot.

#60 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:51 PM

Styles is one of a very small handful of modern guys I'm considering. I like cool offense and from what I've seen so far, he delivers that in spades. Just need to see a bit more but I reckon Styles might be someone I could be high on despite the environments he's tended to work his entire career.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users