AJ Styles

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 InYourCase

InYourCase
  • Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:47 PM

2014 is an interesting period to reference because that may have been before we really knew how he would work out in NJPW.  i distinctly remember a lot of "WTF?!?" reactions to him winning the IWGP title

I think those "WTF?!?" reactions were to the way it was booked. He debuted at Invasion Attack to crickets, then beat Okada twice in two underwhelming matches that were plagued by interference. 

#102 Badlittlekitten

Badlittlekitten
  • Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:34 AM

Anyone still on the fence about voting or even considering AJ (because TNA) should try and find a spare twenty minutes and give the Joe Turning Point match a look.  Not only will you find an out of this world performance from Styles but a legit match of the century contender.  Stick on an LP, watch the match on mute and get ready for a ride.

I've been critical of Styles. I find his early indie work to be fairly bland and emotionless, and until recent years his work would lose its focus in certain situations and environments. For example, his great 2005 run had blunders like the Daniels matches and the terrible three way. The guy who said he needed 'reigning in' might be right. But the good outings are too good to ignore.

While his facials and body language never became compelling Styles has found ways to express himself and his character through his in ring work. In the Turning Point match he jumps Joe at the bell and throws everything at the wall. You just know in his head he is thinking "I'm fucked anyway, nothing to loose, jump into the deep end!" It comes through in every strike and desperate flurry. He ends up surprised at his own success and briefly slips into cockiness as he takes on Joe toe to toe at his own game and it nearly costs him.  His work against the Abyss is more calculated and rational - throw yourself at the giant but keep as much distance as possible. He pulls out perhaps the best cat and mouse performance of all time in their cage match. 

The springboard DDT is a bit too cute for my tastes but otherwise his offence is brilliant. Fluid, smooth, often dazzling yet stiff and hurty. He could always brawl, fly and work the mat and he's stuck all them bits together to become one of the best in the world.  He'll sell you a limb (vs Suzuki) and build a hot match in any setting (vs Rave, his recent WWE tags) . Bumps like a champ. He's a terrible promo and should probably clean up his look but he's no lower than top 75.

#103 InYourCase

InYourCase
  • Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:43 AM

Parv reviewed that match and disliked it. I think it's a Match of the Century contender, also. It's one of the better matches I've ever seen. If for whatever reason anyone hasn't seen the Turning Point match, here it is

#104 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10161 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:47 AM

AJ is just making my list in the bottom quarter primarily on the last couple of years strengthening his case. Joe has a shot but I'm not sold. I'm not sure if I've ever seen that but I'll catch it later. Thanks for posting it.

#105 InYourCase

InYourCase
  • Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:57 AM

AJ is just making my list in the bottom quarter primarily on the last couple of years strengthening his case. Joe has a shot but I'm not sold. I'm not sure if I've ever seen that but I'll catch it later. Thanks for posting it.

I'm higher on modern indie guys more than most, but Joe is someone that will rank very highly for me and if you're ranking AJ, you need to give Joe a look before ballots are due. I'll put more in his thread. 

#106 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10161 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:02 AM

I have some 2002-3 in-person nostalgia for Joe killing people, so I'm being hesitant on that.He's someone that might get slotted in somewhere.

#107 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

This thread is fascinating to read with the benefit of looking back at his work over the last few years.

#108 Benbeeach

Benbeeach
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:51 AM

This thread is fascinating to read with the benefit of looking back at his work over the last few years.

people were just wrong

#109 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

I really think it's his 2014-present run that catapults him. If we only had the TNA stuff, I'd definitely put him top 100 but probably in the middle or latter half. I feel like his NJPW run to now has been an all-time great run. I have him at number 7 now.

#110 Benbeeach

Benbeeach
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:47 PM

I really think it's his 2014-present run that catapults him. If we only had the TNA stuff, I'd definitely put him top 100 but probably in the middle or latter half. I feel like his NJPW run to now has been an all-time great run. I have him at number 7 now.

This run he's on is unassailable for sure and the cap on what has been a great career.

But the idea that he's some dramatically different wrestler now (not saying you're saying that) is wrong. All the things he's doing now he's been doing for a decade in a half plus. He hit hard in 2003. He could sell his ass off in '05. He could work the mic at the turn of the decade. He was an even more spectacular spot guy back then. He'd been the total package for quite some time. Call it the stink of TNA/better opponents or what have you, but I think alot people's preconceived notions about him were just flat out wrong. He didn't become "NJPW AJ Styles" or "WWE AJ Styles" he just brought AJ styles to those companies. He'd been dragging good matches out of sub shane mcmahon level workers for eons. Glad he's getting his just due finally.

#111 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:13 PM

This run he's on is unassailable for sure and the cap on what has been a great career.

But the idea that he's some dramatically different wrestler now (not saying you're saying that) is wrong. All the things he's doing now he's been doing for a decade in a half plus. He hit hard in 2003. He could sell his ass off in '05. He could work the mic at the turn of the decade. He was an even more spectacular spot guy back then. He'd been the total package for quite some time. Call it the stink of TNA/better opponents or what have you, but I think alot people's preconceived notions about him were just flat out wrong. He didn't become "NJPW AJ Styles" or "WWE AJ Styles" he just brought AJ styles to those companies. He'd been dragging good matches out of sub shane mcmahon level workers for eons. Glad he's getting his just due finally.

That could very well be true. I haven't seen a ton of his later TNA stuff because I had fallen out of the company and wrestling in general around then, but he was always very good, especially 2005.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users