Pro Wrestling Only

Dick Slater

Grimmas

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

His matches in Mid-South with Jake were really good, the Butch Reed ones were solid, had fun brawls with Duggan. He had a late resurgence in Memphis. He had a real good brawl with Flair in 89. What could hurt him is amount of footage.

• 1 month later...

Solid worker, but the whole Terry Funk tribute act (which, to my knowledge, he was already doing as early as the early 80's in Japan) makes him a thoroughly uninteresting worker to me most of the time. Give me the real deal instead.

Probably at his best in Mid-South (yep, that feud with Jake, maybe Jake's best hour in-ring too actually). Highlight of his career is introducing Dark Journey to pro-wrestling (or the other way around).

• 7 years later...

I have never been able to look beyond the Terry Funk rip off routine to fairly assess Slater. I figure I should give him a real look at some point but it's a difficult hurdle to overcome. I've never thought he was bad, I'm just left with a sour taste. Looks fine on a list and is definitely good on paper. 

I've got a lot of time for Dick Slater, but I don't think he's charismatic enough to make a top 100. His heyday was in Florida where he was a proper star. In most of his 80s footage, he's a journeyman. He is a bit of a poor man's Terry Funk at times, but if you're gonna ape anyone then Funk's not a bad choice.