Pro Wrestling Only

Psicosis

Grimmas

During the original poll, I probably pushed him over Rey and Juventud because most people hadn't seen his AAA work at that stage where he was a better character than those two, but I don't think his work holds up that well.

Great bumper, loads of charisma and a good sense of humour, but he couldn't work the mat worth a lick and his height made him awkward and lanky in the ring. Quite a limited worker, who never really progressed.

I've seen very little of his early-mid 90s work but I came out of it wanting to see a ton more. I think "better character" sums it up which is why I'm drawn to him, but I haven't seen nearly enough. He seemed very versatile and to really stand out as something far more than just "The guy who took Rey's stuff."

Is there Nicho stuff I should see, OJ?

I've seen very little of his early-mid 90s work but I came out of it wanting to see a ton more. I think "better character" sums it up which is why I'm drawn to him, but I haven't seen nearly enough. He seemed very versatile and to really stand out as something far more than just "The guy who took Rey's stuff."

Is there Nicho stuff I should see, OJ?

Haven't seen his Nicho stuff. Fuerza wins the character award for me. I wish they'd showcased him more in AAA.

Well, yeah, no one beats Fuerza in character. He could try to get the ref to call a foul after a headlock. I was just happily surprised by Psicosis and his improvement through the AAA stuff I saw since I expected him just to be Rey's patsy.

I am absolutely watching this tomorrow night though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3iw9SkOrSM

I was going to recommend that match against Santo actually! I was trying to find the date! The Tajiri match from ECW is great too. I actually enjoyed when Nicho, Damian666 and Halloween joined CMLL in the early 2000s during the time Rey Jr was there pre WWE. But I'm not sure how that ages. There's a Psicosis vs La Parka match from 12/19/97 in Tijuana that I remember loving. It was a brawling all over the building type match with both guys taking huge bumps. I saw it on a Bob Barnett tape back to back with the famous Santo/Rey Jr match and I preferred Parka/Psicosis.

• 1 year later...

I just watched his 1995 match against Santo and it is bloody good. While a lot of it is Santo dominating the match I don't think I view it as well if Psicosis isn't a bit of a mad man. The way he takes Santo's signature offense ranks highly as far as people taking that offense goes. It looks like his head wants to pull away from his body as he comes crashing to the mat off a headscissors. Just so good.

I am better at ranking matches than I am wrestlers so I have to find cues sometimes to help me with the organization. It begins straying away from maybe who I feel in my gut are the Top 100 wrestlers into ranking them where I can point to certain things. Psicosis's "thing" is being a part of the best traveling duo I've ever seen. When looking at my list that'll count for at least something like Santo having my favorite signature spots will count for something.

As of now will make my list even if I have no idea where.

• 3 months later...

Psicosis I have a huge soft spot for and will almost surely rank. He might be my favourite base of all time.

He was great as Rey's touring partner. I like the Santo match. And I enjoy him basically whenever I see him in a trios in that mid 90s period. He's just such a great bumper, willing to fling his body all over the place, and with his size it makes for really impactful, dangerous looking bumps. And in turn his size makes his offense work even if he's not the most technically proficient guy around. And to be honest I almost don't even care if he ever goes on offense because he's just so good at taking guys' shit and making it look awesome.

Is there anything specific from this century that people want to recommend? Don't think I've seen anything recent outside of his WWE run.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Nick Gage VS Pagano VS Psicosis VS Joe Lider - EMW DeathMatch 7/12/2019

This is one semi recent Psicosis match I really enjoyed for a totally different side of him. He hangs in there with Gage nicely and the two are the stars of the show. The match is pretty mindless deathmatch fare but I'm a sucker for that when done proficiently and especially with a fish out of water kind of element.

Otherwise, Psicosis did very well on my first round watching him for GWE. Always a highlight in random AAA trios and very adaptable with a wide range of tecnico. When plopped into ECW or WCW he thrived, he was maybe my favorite cruiserweight in WCW and that's held up watching currently. And the Rey feud speaks for itself, I'm still finding new (to me) greatness.

I'd also be curious for more analysis of his last few decades but I was very happy with my first round with Psicosis, which hasn't been the case with every 90s favorite so far.

• 1 year later...

I'm a little bit less impressed by Psicosis after watching a lot of early Virus lately. From 1993-95, Virus could do pretty much everything that Psicosis could, even if Psicosis got to work bigger matches with better wrestlers. Virus of course went on to change his game up quite a bit, and you'd hardly call that period the peak of his career. That probably is the Psicosis's peak, though. Not the best look for a guy whose case is more about his best work than about the sum of his whole career, as a candidate like that should look like one of a kind when he's at his best.

He did have a couple of classics with Misterio, and was in a bunch of the best AAA matches. I know that William Regal and Paul London have said he was a dream to work with, so give him points for adaptability. Maybe someone out there still loves that match with Santo from '95.