Pro Wrestling Only

Ciclon Ramirez

Grimmas

• 1 year later...

You're not joking about that tope, OJ. Holy shit. I started with the Cruz match, and he just murders him (and almost himself) three different times with that thing. The combination of speed, velocity and just a general disregard for the wellbeing of himself, his opponent, and anyone sitting in the first half a dozen rows have made this pretty much my favourite move ever. Outside of the tope, I found Ramirez at his best to be a really dynamic worker, a good brawler, with enough charisma to carry a match. Had I been as high on his other matches as I was on the Cruz hair match (mainly thinking of the Felino matches, which I found a bit disappointing), I could see popping him on my ballot somewhere. That, plus a general scarcity of footage makes it a tough sell. That tope though...

I'm a big fan of the Cruz and Felino matches, but that's all I've seen from him that struck me as being memorable. As in, I've seen other matches where he's been involved, but I don't remember a thing about what he did in them other than the very obvious thing you remember from every Ciclon Ramirez match which is him fucking torpedoing someone with that tope.

It's a hell of a tope.

I liked the Felino mask vs. mask match, but the title matches are underwhelming. Ramirez would have needed a much longer run to be a significant part of the lucha bloc. I doubt Solar will make the list and he's had a considerably better career. Hell, I'm not sure that Ramirez was better than Huracán Sevilla or Mano Negra.

• 5 years later...

Is there any other worker like him? With some guys you watch the matches hoping to see what spectacular move they'll do this time. With Ciclon it's just one move, you've seen it before, and you still watch in hopes of seeing it again. No dive better conveyed the wrestling universal that you don't want to get hit by high flying offense. Beyond the tope, Ciclon brought a lot to the table. He knew his holds and counterholds. He was a wild bumper who was up for spots that no one else would be crazy enough to do. And he could brawl. Man, could he brawl. It's not hard to imagine an alternate reality in which he spent his entire career working bloody wars on the indies, with only one or two of them surviving into this century and leaving us all wondering who this maniac was and why we couldn't see more of him. Instead he was so talented that he couldn't help working for a major promotion with TV, where they mostly stuck him in the undercard. I wish the Felino program had been better, because that was his big shot, but the closest it ever got to an out of control fight was when it turned into a WWE Divas feud based on ripping each other's clothes off. A while back there were some positive reviews of his IWRG run in 2000, but very little of that is online.

The hair vs hair match with Javier Cruz listed upthread is the one to watch, but here are some random matches that I hope demonstrate the appeal of Mr. Ramirez.
CR, Blue Demon Jr. and Javier Cruz vs Pirata Morgan, Hombre Bala and Hijo del Gladiador
CR and America vs Engendro and Scorpio Jr.
CR, Huracan Sevilla and Jinete vs Ciclon Mackey, La Fiera and Espectro de Ultratumba
CR and Oro vs America II and Emilio Charles Jr.
CR, Ultimo Dragon and Oro vs Negro Casas, Felino and Bestia Salvaje