Pro Wrestling Only

Diamond Dallas Page

Grimmas

I love what DDP does. His yoga and positive attitude. He is a great role model for healthy living.

I've been a fan of certain things he does in the ring as well. His match with Goldberg is one of my favourites. He has one of the coolest finishers ever and the way he hit it differently each match was awesome. I don't see how he could make my list though.

Was a better wrestler than he ever should have been, and was a guy that was fun to watch in part because of how protected his finish was, and in part because we got to see him progress right before our eyes on the biggest stage possible. But there really isn't the meat their for him to make a list like this. If he had a half dozen more matches like the Goldberg match I could maybe see him as a bottom ten sort of guy, but he doesn't

• 3 weeks later...

With the exception of the Hogan match (which I'd still call Hogan's best singles match as Hollywood), I'd probably put all of these ahead of that Goldberg match. I'm not voting for him, but he's a little hurt by so many of his best matches happening on TV, meaning they aren't as immortalized.

Diamond Dallas Page vs Hulk Hogan (WCW Monday Nitro 10/27/97)

Diamond Dallas Page vs Sting (WCW Monday Nitro 03/30/98)

Diamond Dallas Page vs Bret Hart (WCW Monday Nitro 10/26/98)

Diamond Dallas Page vs Sting (WCW Monday Nitro 04/26/99)

Diamond Dallas Page vs Chris Benoit (WCW Thunder 05/27/99)

I'm interested in looking back on his brief WWE run. It's a real shame he never got to work a main event match opposite Austin (other than their interactions at Invasion) but there could definitely be some fun TV matches on Raw, Smackdown or even the C-shows. I'm not sure he'll make my 100 but I'd like to see some of his matches as he was winding down, just to get a more complete look at him.

If we were talking Greatest Finishers of all time...

At the very least, he had a fun series with Christian. Some matches weren't given much time, but I remember at least one pretty good TV match. I think DDP and Christian probably had similar ideas on wrestling, and enjoyed working with one another. It showed in their work.

One of the things DDP has talked about with his WWE run is that they hated that all the WCW guys bumped on their sides so that reconditioning took a bit. I believe minor injuries cropped up then also which hurt his run (not to mention the booking, although I thought he and Kanyon did the best they could to be squashed by the Undertaker).

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched DDP vs Renegade at Fall Brawl and that may be one of the most incredible one man performances. For as great as ""The People's Champion/Working Man" DDP was, DDP was one of the best scumbag heels in the mid-90s. It is just he did not get the same chances as he did as a face. DDP is such a detestable piece of Jersey trailer trash throughout the match and has no qualms about showing a ton of ass. Besides, Heath Slater (who totally rules), there is nobody on the current roster that is willing to make someone look this good by bumping and cowering from them. Then realizing the way you scoop your heel heat back is by cheating! 1995 WCW was an interesting place you had Pillman/Badd before doing a match that I would say really had never been done before in America with tons of nearfalls and lots of MOVEZ~!, but it is now the norm in WWE and Japanese main event styles and you had Hogan on top with his cartoon bullshit. DDP was a refreshing rehash of a classic Southern heel that just has no redeeming qualities and is someone you want to see punched in the face. I look forward to watching more DDP from this era.

• 11 months later...

Not sure where to post this but this seems like a good place

Go watch the DDP-Craig Pittman match from Nitro on March 10, 1997

I always kinda thought he was working people about how big of an influence Jake Roberts was on him but he basically wrestles a recreation of a Roberts match from Superstars, it's uncanny. Hadn't watched DDP in a long time so it really stood out, maybe everyone else has already noticed though. I can't unsee it now whenever he comes up on Nitro on the Network.

• 5 years later...

What is people’s major malfunction against people bumping on their side? It seems like such a weird aesthetic Hangup. People should bump how is comfortable to them. There are plenty of snap backs that look stupid as shit given a certain set of circumstances sometimes bumping differently would help.

I was surprised my post was about heel DDP but good on me scummy heel midcard DDP ruled! His post-Lord of the Ring win was a great era. He was the last of the stooging heels.

I think he was the Best Worker in 1998 & 1999. Every match dripped with effort, had a great hook and was a titanic struggle,  Mortal lock for my Top 100 until the day I die!