Pro Wrestling Only

Mad Dog Vachon

Grimmas

For those that have seen the Vachon Anthology, your impressions of Mad Dog based on that would serve this thread well.

Vachon is a guy that we have at least some footage of in each era he wrestled in, from the 50's right through to his retirement match in 1986. I've noted these matches from the Anthology because they are the ones either complete or near-complete:

Maurice Vachon vs. Larry Moquin (Montreal, early 50s.) 11:12
Maurice Vachon vs. Zuma(5-12-57, Texas, clips) 3:12

Mad Dog Vachon (AWA Champion) vs. Paul Caruso (AWA TV 1966) 3:18
Mad Dog Vachon (AWA Champion) vs. Danny Plechas (AWA TV 6-1-66) 5:07

The Vachon Brothers (AWA Tag Team Champions) vs. Kenny Jay & Santiago Acosta (2/3 falls, AWA TV 1970) 12:03
The story of Mad Dog's infamous cut on AWA TV during a brawl with The Crusher. Includes the clip from the Vachon Brothers match vs. Edouard Carpentier & Kirk on January 17, 1970) 4:00
Mad Dog Vachon vs.Jean Ferre(Montreal, 1972) 10:51
Edouard Carpentier (Grand Prix Champion) vs. Mad Dog Vachon (2/3 falls, Montreal, 1973) 12:54
Mad Dog Vachon & Tokyo Joe vs. Bobby Bold Eagle & Billy Red Cloud (Grand Prix TV, 1974) 8:34
Mad Dog Vachon & Dale Lewis vs. Jos & Paul Leduc (Florida, 1974 film)
Mad Dog Vachon & Ripper Collins vs. The Samoans (Hawaii, 1977, film)

Mad Dog Vachon vs. Gypsy Joe (Japan, March 1977 film)
Mad Dog Vachon & Gypsy Joe vs. Mighty Inoue & Great Kusatsu (Japan, March 27, 1977, film)

Mad Dog Vachon & Baron Von Raschke vs. Jerry Blackwell & Sheik Kaissie (March 13th, 1983, Raw Footage).(16:27)
Mad Dog Vachon vs. Jerry Blackwell (Death Match, May 22nd, 1983, Bloomington, MN)
Mad Dog Vachon & Hulk Hogan vs. Ken Patera & Jesse Ventura (January 16th, 1983, St. Paul.)

Nick Bockwinkel (AWA Champion) vs. Mad Dog Vachon (November 24, 1983, St. Paul, Raw Footage). (15:25)
Nick Bockwinkel (AWA Champion) vs. Mad Dog Vachon (December 25th, 1983, St. Paul). (13:00)

Mad Dog Vachon and Jos Leduc vs. Man Mountain Moore & Sheik Ali (October 13th, 1986, Trois Riveres Quebec--retirement match)

I don't know how many of these are available on youtube (I suspect most of them). There are many more clips from his time in the AWA, Grand Prix Montreal, Japan, and the WWF.

It's never a technical showcase with Maurice and as such I highly recommend seeking out some Mad Dog interview footage as well. His manner and interview style were very effective and frightening. Whether you liked him or not, he always left an impression on you.

• 6 years later...

I'm going to blatantly rip off @dkookypunk43's idea here https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/topic/52775-danny-kuchler-2016-list-re-evaluation-paragraph-wrestlers-to-watch-for-2021-2026/  but I'm gonna do it in the threads for each specific wrestler. 

I ranked Mad Dog #100 in 2016 as a nod to a favorite. I first really watched him in 80s AWA and really dug him as the old man ass kicker in these huge spectacles. He's washed up, but insanely charismatic and knows how to fight. As a famous tough guy, Mad Dog was able to play the veteran enforcer role but as an aging veteran he was able to garner sympathy as well. I really liked him in the 80s and wanted to see more and fortunately someone made that super easy. As someone who was trading tapes as a teenager back in the late 90s/early 00s, I've watched a ton of wrestler compilations over the last 25 years and the single greatest one by far I've ever seen is @khawk20's Mad Dog Vachon set. It is a masterpiece that is closer to a Ken Burns Documentary with matches interspersed throughout than merely a Best of Wrestler X set. Mad Dog didn't just have a few great matches in the 80s. He is one of the most unique characters and interesting people in the history of the business. He's hampered by lack of footage from his athletic prime, but I could easily see myself finding a spot for him again even if its #100 again. Check out:

Mad Dog & Baron Von Raschke vs Crusher Blackwell & Sheik Adnan Kaissey (Taped Fist Match 3/13/83)

Mad Dog Vachon & Verne Gagne vs Crusher Blackwell & Sheik Adnan Kaissey  (AWA - 4/24/83)

Mad Dog Vachon vs Jerry Blackwell (Algerian Death Match - AWA - 5/22/1983)

Many thanks for the shout out on the Dog set. I’m glad it’s been enjoyed that much. 
Mad Dog would be on a lot of lists if we had a decent amount of footage from the 60s and 70s of him. The feud between him and the Crusher is beyond legendary  in AWA circles but we unfortunately have very little of it. There’s a title match vs. Verne from Montreal out there but privately held that’s supposed to be really good and would likely help showcase their famous feud from the 60s and 70s, as most of what we have is those two on the same side of the ledger.

Vachon is definitely a case of “we need more video”, as a lot of his best stuff just isn’t out there. Which is a real shame.