Pro Wrestling Only

Mocho Cota

Grimmas

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His 90s stuff needs to be reevaluated as there was at least one trios I watched recently where I thought he gave a great performance. I really want to see the Casas hair match from '94. I doubt he has enough matches on tape to crack this list unless you go for sheer ability was a performer and then he belongs in the the conversation.

Cota was one of those guys that was a fast forward guy back in the 90s. That's why when Alfredo Esparza found the first Rocca vs Cota match it was such a holy shit moment. It would be worth revisiting some of his career but I don't know if I'd like to be the one doing it. His 80s stuff is mostly outstanding.

Back in 1996 or 1998 I'd have laughed at all of you if you had told me that La Fiera was the third best worker of the Chicana/Cota/Fiera team and that it wasn't even close.

• 3 months later...

Not sure if this is well known or not, but in looking for his 90s work you'll have to start after 1993. I was wondering why he seemed to just drop off of the 80s set and be nowhere in the results for the 92-93 Observers I've read and just came across this bit from the 6/7/93 Observer:

Mocho Cota, who returned a few weeks ago after a four-year absence, had been in jail during his absence from wrestling.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this is well known or not, but in looking for his 90s work you'll have to start after 1993. I was wondering why he seemed to just drop off of the 80s set and be nowhere in the results for the 92-93 Observers I've read and just came across this bit from the 6/7/93 Observer:

Mocho Cota, who returned a few weeks ago after a four-year absence, had been in jail during his absence from wrestling.

Yeah. His skills deteriorated a lot after his comeback.

Odd to think that out of the Cota/Fiera/Chicana trio the latter was the most decent human being (decent in relative terms compared to the other two I guess).

Cota was still awesome in Fall, 1993. I'm going to do some matches next week on Segunda Caida nominally as part of a Lizmark vs Satanico feud, but Cota totally stole the show.

Those matches were building more towards Cota vs. Latin Lover than Satanico/Lizmark. It's a shame Cota bailed before the hair match as the Cota/Lover feud was better than you'd expect. I went off on a tangent about 90s Cota the other day -- http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/blog/8/entry-448-vintage-negro-casas-of-the-day-12/ In a nutshell, I think he was better than people thought at the time, but not as good as the top rudos.

• 4 months later...

Cota was still awesome in Fall, 1993. I'm going to do some matches next week on Segunda Caida nominally as part of a Lizmark vs Satanico feud, but Cota totally stole the show.

Those matches were building more towards Cota vs. Latin Lover than Satanico/Lizmark. It's a shame Cota bailed before the hair match as the Cota/Lover feud was better than you'd expect. I went off on a tangent about 90s Cota the other day -- http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/blog/8/entry-448-vintage-negro-casas-of-the-day-12/ In a nutshell, I think he was better than people thought at the time, but not as good as the top rudos.

I just watched the Cota/Silver King vs. Dandy/Casas match and thought it was a great rudo performance by Cota. The match wasn't all that good but I came out of it liking Mocho Cota even more than I did before. Just a great job at being a total prick to everyone in the match, including his own partner. Is the Mocho Cota vs. Negro Casas hair match out there anywhere?

I just got to watch it a couple of days ago but haven't had time to figure out how to do anything with it yet (was planning to this weekend), so good on you for sharing with the class.

My main takeaways were that it was a wonderful beatdown on Casas for basically the whole match, which started with bloody violence and moved on to using limbwork to create openings; great selling by Negro Casas, perfect asshole offense by Cota, and way way way too stilted a comeback to justify it all. It's a frustrating match for what it could have been. Everything they do is great but it's just not enough. A lot of that is because it was just one fall, I think. There was a sense that Cota was vulnerable and all it'd take was one good shot from Casas but there wasn't ENOUGH of that sense to make it work.

I think you summarized the positive and negatives pretty well. I initially had the same frustrations, but after watching it a few times, I still think it’s really good. I think they went an interesting direction and gave us a more thoughtful match than we would have gotten with the Latin Lover hair match. No doubt it would have been a good bloodbath though. It’s also a match I think very few are capable of, and it feels unique to me. Looking at results and what’s on tape, I’m thinking it might be the last big singles match that made tape for Cota.