Pro Wrestling Only

Mocho Cota

Grimmas

On 1/10/2023 at 2:06 PM, Matt D said:

Have you seen the 3/27/94 match?

Yeah, that was one I rewatched last week. I liked it more than the hair match, but it didn't feel quite right. What I remember from it:

- Casas lost the first fall way too easily. He got pinned by a basic slam that was usually a setup for a top rope splash or a badass submission finish. If he was going to go down so quickly and to a move like that then he needed to do more selling and less arguing with the referee during the fall.

- I liked that he tried to come back with low blows. Very true to himself. They weren't as creative as the ones he'd been pulling for the past two years, but maybe the idea was that he didn't want to look sneaky or something in match where he was to be cheered.

- Cota blading off a DDT on the floor was cool, but then when they came back from break he was yelling at the fans as blood streamed down his face. I think once you start bleeding, that's a signal that you're not in the physical state to be jawjacking with the fans like you're stalling for time in the first couple of minutes.

- They did the fighting on their knees spot that always looks good, but they weren't doing it as they were pulling themselves off the canvas, which is how that usually works. A standing Casas actually dropped to his knees to slug it out with Cota if I remember right. That's a piddling thing to be annoyed about but it's what I mean when I say that something about the match didn't click with me.

It didn't feel like the best either man was capable of at that time. Cota had more chemistry with overmatched youngsters that he could torture like Latin Lover and Blue Demon, and for Casas showing his pluck it didn't compare to Casas vs Fiera from half a year before. I'd compare it to Fiera vs Sangre Chicana from 1993, another match that had memorable moments but put everything together in a way that made it less satisfying than the sum of its parts for me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic