Pro Wrestling Only

Jackie Sato

Grimmas

Jackie wasn't a bad worker, which she got to show more of after Maki retired, and I like the way she fits into the lineage of AJW ace's, but you'd have to say that both Mariko Akagi and Jaguar Yokota outshone her as pure workers from the same era and showed what Joshi was capable of in an era when it wasn't supposed to be very good. You could add Yumi Ikeshita to that list too.

• 1 month later...

How much Mariko Akagi is there? She's looked pretty good on some of the 70s AJW TV that I saw, but it seems there's only short bits, while Sato's had some very good lengthy singles matches.

I think Sato's pretty badass. Top 100 of all time is probably a stretch, but definitely watch her matches vs. Yokota and Aoyama. AJW had a very unique style then with lots of gritty matwork and she was great at it.

How much Mariko Akagi is there? She's looked pretty good on some of the 70s AJW TV that I saw, but it seems there's only short bits, while Sato's had some very good lengthy singles matches.

I've done a search on Dan's 150+ disc AJW set and just found two matches for her, both from 1978. A singles match against Chino Sato and a two out of three falls tag with Yumi Ikeshita against the Golden Pair.

• 6 years later...

I hope people will give Jackie Sato more attention this time around. She was quite the badass and with more eyes being on that era of joshi and more footage becoming available people should watch. The Yokota match is brilliant and Sato is every part of it.

There's also some of her JWP work becoming available, something that was completely in the dark to me 5 years ago. It seems she pretty much reinvented herself. She had an interesting superstar match against Nancy Kumi. I also just now watched her in a tag where she grappled with Shinobu Kandori like a BattlARTS match.

• 2 years later...

Definitely want to check out more of Jackie Sato. Her post-Beauty Pair 79-81 stuff in AJW ranges from good to excellent. Wish there was more Beauty Pair available. The only thing I’ve seen is a clipped match of theirs from 76 vs Black Pair which was ok. Ditto for her JWP run.

11 hours ago, club said:

Wish there was more Beauty Pair available. The only thing I’ve seen is a clipped match of theirs from 76 vs Black Pair which was ok.

There is also this: 

But yeah there's not much Beauty Pair you can watch out there