Pro Wrestling Only

Other matches from 1990 worth watching

Jetlag

Genichiro Tenryu/Toshiaki Kawada vs. Mighty Inoue/Great Kabuki (AJPW 2/21/90)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CDlYdMe0qs

Sweet Jesus this RULED. I think after watching this Mighty and Kabuki deserve a closer look at their careers as I didn't realize they could still go this hard into the 90s. Everybody played their roles to perfection and the result was a super gritty, violent spectacle. Tenryu and Kawada were being gigantic dickheads to the old guys, constantly running in and kicking them in their faces, Tenryu gets especially nasty towards the end. Inoue was great as the plucky technician and took horrific abuse, while Kabuki was a tank. I don't know which I loved more, him repeatedly running across the ring to punch Tenryu in the face, smashing a chair over his head or finally having enough and repeatedly punting him in the eye with the point of his boot. The early going was a lot of holds, but all quality stuff, as the submissions made sense and Kawada did a great job selling chokes. The finishing run sees Mighty finally losing his cool and decking Tenryu with lefts and rights, just killer. If you want to watch some violent pro wrestling with strong character work, give this a shot.

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet Jesus this RULED. I think after watching this Mighty and Kabuki deserve a closer look at their careers as I didn't realize they could still go this hard into the 90s. Everybody played their roles to perfection and the result was a super gritty, violent spectacle. Tenryu and Kawada were being gigantic dickheads to the old guys, constantly running in and kicking them in their faces, Tenryu gets especially nasty towards the end. Inoue was great as the plucky technician and took horrific abuse, while Kabuki was a tank. I don't know which I loved more, him repeatedly running across the ring to punch Tenryu in the face, smashing a chair over his head or finally having enough and repeatedly punting him in the eye with the point of his boot. The early going was a lot of holds, but all quality stuff, as the submissions made sense and Kawada did a great job selling chokes. The finishing run sees Mighty finally losing his cool and decking Tenryu with lefts and rights, just killer. If you want to watch some violent pro wrestling with strong character work, give this a shot.

Does anyone know what episode of TV this actually aired on? I know the 2/21 date is correct, but I can't find this matchup airing on AJ TV after 2/21. It aired twice before that date, though.

Does anyone know what episode of TV this actually aired on? I know the 2/21 date is correct, but I can't find this matchup airing on AJ TV after 2/21. It aired twice before that date, though.

I have this as airing on the 2/19 show.

• 6 months later...

Volador vs Pirata Morgan

Really great bloodbath with Volador holding his own against the glorious asshole that is Pirata Morgan. The heel ref might annoy some, as they go to it quite a bit, but my mind must be warped as I didnt think it detracted from the match, and Volador snapping on the ref was a cool moment. The almighty Dataintcash places this happening anywhere between 90 and 92, so for the sake of this post Im going to go with 1990.