• 7727 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:51 AM

Discuss here.

#2 BillThompson

BillThompson
  • Members
  • 1553 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

I've been enamored with him in the 50s footage I have seen. He's so smooth in the ring it's almost criminal, but I need to see a lot more before I give him serious consideration.

#3 El McKell

El McKell

Actually The Worst

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:00 AM

I watched a few of Rogers matches yesterday, four matches from the Chicago film archives, including an absolutely fantastic match with Lou Thesz, and then a 61 match with Pat O'Connor and a 63 match with Killer Kowalski.

I've decided from this small enough sample that he's clearly amazing and as Bill says ridiculously smooth and should be in my top 100 but it'll be difficult to figure out where he belongs without more stuff to watch

#4 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:38 AM

I've only seen a couple Rogers matches and haven't really dived into the Chicago stuff as much, but he's going to garner some consideration. He really was ahead of his time in a lot of ways and I feel like he's someone that could have hung with anyone in the ring in any era up through the 80's. Just a fantastic worker.

#5 Yo-Yo's Roomie

Yo-Yo's Roomie
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:53 AM

I can see myself voting for Rogers. I've watched everything I can find of his, and he really does seem to have been a great worker, with an act he had perfected, and that really added a lot to his matches. As Tim said, you could probably drop Buddy in any era, and his shit would still look great, and completely modern. Very quick in the ring, very nimble, bumped well, his offence looked good, good punches, good shtick, charismatic. Doesn't stand out to me as a great technician for the era, and I preferred to see him work a more aggressive style, which he did very well. Does seem very much like a bridge between the golden age, and a more modern style of wrestling.

#6 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1886 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:56 AM

Figuring out what to do with the golden age workers is the last thing I'll do before finalizing my list. I think Rogers will rank for me. The Thesz matches are amazing, and showcase that he is, at minimum, a very, very, very good tehnician with excellent character work and an all time great Dropkick and Piledriver. The O'Connor match is a five star bout in my opinion. The slams into the corner sounds mundane today, but he made them look really brutal and the corners not having padding probably help there as well. One of my favourite spots from the Thesz matches was when Thesz had him in a Hammerlock and he feinted a Snapmare counter only to pull his leg underneath him and counter it that way. That king of smart usage of redirection is something that makes me feel comfortable ranking him despite the small sample of his work we have. The Haystack Calhoun match was extremely important for me as well as it showed him carrying a circus act to a borderline great match.

#7 conker8

conker8
  • Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:00 AM

Buddy Rogers as a babyface in the early 1940's

He could match the veteran in the stiffness.

#8 Moonsault Marvin

Moonsault Marvin
  • Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:26 PM

Something notable about that match is Rogers's complete revamping of his wrestling style from the 40's to the 50's.  He goes from being a brawler with a couple of dropkicks in his arsenal to the well rounded "Nature Boy" who can work holds on the mat with the best of them.

#9 Steve Yohe

Steve Yohe
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling history & movies & pro basketball

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:08 PM

It should be noted that Buddy Rogers was probably the greatest babyface of the 1940's. He didn't turn heel until 1948 in Los Angeles. He introduce a style of working that was a lot of stand up and bouncing off the ropes. He created that style of flying wrestling, with flying scissors & atomic drops. Also did bumps over the top rope to the floor. So he wasn't just the Ric Flair of the 50's....he was the Ricky Steamboat of the 40's. Up until the mid-50's his training came from swimming, but he then turn to weight lifting....which led to more injuries. Slowed him down some too. By the time he was NWA Champ in 1961, the time period most membered today, he was hurting pretty bad & on his down side. The great working Rogers, was probably in the early 50's when he incorporated flying babyface moves with all the heel stuff he created himself. The wrestle copied by everyone from that period wasn't G. George, it was Rogers. He was the most copies wrestle in the history, even by those who don't know who he was today. 

This is my first port here & I hope I wasn't out of line.---Steve Yohe

#10 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1286 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:25 PM

This is my first port here & I hope I wasn't out of line.---Steve Yohe

Seriously, I saw your name and said out loud "OH AWESOME YOHE'S AT PWO!" :)

Also, that is a great line about Rogers being the Flair of the 50s but also being the Steamboat of the 40s. That's pretty amazing to think about.

Do we know who Rogers cited as his influences?

#11 Superstar Sleeze

Superstar Sleeze
  • Members
  • 2997 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:11 PM

I admit I also marked out for Yohe on PWO. Excellent first post. Learned a lot. Hope for a lot more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users