Pro Wrestling Only

The Hardy Boyz

Grimmas

Have been a consistently great and relevant tag team for close to sixteen years now. They were a part of the trio of tag teams that helped revitalize and make tag team wrestling seem important again in late 90s-early 00s WWF. I think they have a high number of great matches under their belt, and I'd place both guys pretty high as individual workers. Both men were terrific bumpers, Jeff is an all time great hot tag, Matt did the face-in-peril role really well, and both men had the physical tools to deliver compelling matches every time out. Definitely making my list, it's just a matter of how high I have them.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A lot of Matt Hardy talk has made me want to bring this up; am I crazy for thinking that the MNM match from December to Dismember is a lot better than the Royal Rumble match (and actually one of the best WWE matches of the decade)?

it was hands down 2x's better than anything else on that ppv & IMO an automatic top 3 tag match of the year

No. Everything comes across to much as a performance instead of work within the team. Then again I think The Hardy's, Dudley's, and Edge & Christian are an overrated era in terms of the tag matches they had with each other. The 3-way ladder matches they put on in no way resembled work. They were stunt shows and it showed then in real time.

• 4 weeks later...

I get that as a criticism of TLC-era stunt show matches, but not of the Hardyz as a whole given they've had plenty of good regular matches and have shown themselves to be a really good working babyface team in that context, with good double team moves, excellent selling from both guys, and having that intangible connection with the crowd and knowing how to turn it up.

The best of 5 T.I.T Tourney matches were fantastic, there two Omega matches against the Serial Thrillaz were even better.... these Ill mention just for starters

I know what you mean, of course, but I initially saw that and thought "Yeah, they'd be a good #1 seed for a NIT" to the GOAT's March Madness.

• 1 month later...

I get that as a criticism of TLC-era stunt show matches, but not of the Hardyz as a whole given they've had plenty of good regular matches and have shown themselves to be a really good working babyface team in that context, with good double team moves, excellent selling from both guys, and having that intangible connection with the crowd and knowing how to turn it up.

Yea I think people should not dismiss them just for that car crash era with E&C and The Dudleys because The Hardys have way more on their resume than just that stuff. I'd like to go through and watch more of their stuff to see where I could put them on the list because I have a hard time imagining not putting them on it. Jimmy do you have a recommended match list? I know they had some really good stuff in 06-07 that I remember liking at the time.

Ahh I don't have a comprehensive one off the top of my head. The MNM matches are obviously must-see, December to Dismember 2006 and Rumble 2007. The Cade & Murdoch feud is really good too, I think those matches are Backlash 2007, Judgment Day 2007 and Raw 4th July. That Raw match in particular is a great example of both guys selling their asses off, as this was the day after their ladder match with WGTT at ONS 2007, and they definitely wrestle like they'd been through a ladder match less than 24 hours earlier.

I love that ladder match as well, by the by, but I assume you want regular matches. I'm sure they had more good matches on Raw in that early 2007 period, I just can't recall them.

It's amazing how they had great matches in 99/00, 06/07 and 13/14. That's quite a wide spread and I think I will need to find room for them.

That MNM stuff is really amazing to go back and watch how great it is and how different it is than their earlier run.

• 6 months later...