Pro Wrestling Only

What is Workrate? Does Workrate Matter?

BillThompson

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably rather watch the whole HUSTLE history with subtitles if I could now.

You know, if we could crowdfund this, we could make this whole thing worth it somehow.

Apparently a number of the shows exist, unreleased, with English commentary by Bas Rutten and Mauro Ranallo.

Workrate was a movement first and foremost, a way for online fans to distinguish themselves from the marks in the crowd. Sure, the people in the audience and THE IDIOT BOOKER loved Nash and Hogan. But we knew better. We knew that the best wrestlers in the world are the guys who opened Nitro. We knew it was those little Mexican guys in ECW.

Workrate was spots and sustained action, but it's more than that. It's a faux sophistication. We liked dives, sure, but we could also appreciate Eddy Guerrero and Dean Malenko's choreographed mat sequence. Wrestling, you see, wasn't about steroids and promos. It was about MOVES~!

We were the Workrate Cru. Lurk and Learn.

From the classic RSPW FAQ

Damn it's been 15 years.....memories

1.29 The Workrate Cru A group of posters who gathered together in 1999 because they were tired of being called "workrate freaks" due to their dislike of wrestling's new Sports Entertainment direction. Founders: Jonathan Snowden and Anthony Gancarski. RSPW Highlights: - Gancarkski peevs off RSPW when he criticises their grief for the recently-departed Owen Hart in May 1999. - Know to "close" threads not related to wrestling.

It should also be noted that there was a debate between Jack Brisco and Dave Meltzer at Wrestling Classics years ago over the term. Jack Brisco said the term did not exist in wrestling when he was active and Dave said that was absolutely not true because he learned it from people within wrestling. So there you go.

People who claim workrate isn't a commonly used wrestling term within the business are so far out of touch with the business. It signifies how much effort a participant is putting into their match. It doesn't signify high spots, or signify not using rest holds, but having to do with lazy guys and hard working guys. It's not a term made up by newsletters, because I learned it from conversations with wrestlers going back 20 years ago. In the 80s, it was a term that the stallers used to laugh at because their idea of wrestling was making fans react while doing as little as possible. It was a term the harder working wrestlers used to differentiate themselves, at least as I first learned it. When the former style, for better or worse, went out of vogue as younger wrestlers came in with the idea of working hard as opposed to the old fashioned cutting corners or shortcuts, the term became more popular, and it is commonly used among pretty much everyone in wrestling today.

Dave

People who claim workrate isn't a commonly used wrestling term within the business are so far out of touch with the business. It signifies how much effort a participant is putting into their match. It doesn't signify high spots, or signify not using rest holds, but having to do with lazy guys and hard working guys. It's not a term made up by newsletters, because I learned it from conversations with wrestlers going back 20 years ago. In the 80s, it was a term that the stallers used to laugh at because their idea of wrestling was making fans react while doing as little as possible. It was a term the harder working wrestlers used to differentiate themselves, at least as I first learned it. When the former style, for better or worse, went out of vogue as younger wrestlers came in with the idea of working hard as opposed to the old fashioned cutting corners or shortcuts, the term became more popular, and it is commonly used among pretty much everyone in wrestling today.

Dave

That's very interesting, may even cause me to change some aspects of my article.

I'd probably rather watch the whole HUSTLE history with subtitles if I could now.

You know, if we could crowdfund this, we could make this whole thing worth it somehow.

Apparently a number of the shows exist, unreleased, with English commentary by Bas Rutten and Mauro Ranallo.

So, back to the subtitles...

I would seriously chip in money to this. I mean, not a ton of money, but money.