Pro Wrestling Only

Pierroth Jr.

Grimmas

For a long time, I wasn't really into Pierroth. He had a title match with Mogur in 1990 that I watched only because the trios match from the week before was good (and I watched that mostly because it had Dandy and MS-1). I was expecting one of those title matches in which they try to work around the gimmick (like Pierroth vs. Mascara Sagrada or any of Octagon's), but instead they didn't skirt the championship style at all and did a really good job on the mat. I've appreciated Pierroth a lot more since seeing that.

He has a mano a mano with Supremo the week before their mask match. I don't know if anyone's seen that but it seems like weird booking.

When I started watching lucha in the early 2000s, Pierroth was all over CMLL in his feud with the Capos and Gran Markus. He was pretty washed up but I enjoyed his brawls. He's also one of the best talkers in lucha history. I doubt he'll make my list but Pierroth is one of my guilty pleasures. It's a shame CMLL is making a mockery of his name these days.

• 8 years later...

This is sort of my dive-in, both with this project* and archived Lucha. Past experiences with Lucha (during what seems to be Pierroth's peak period from this board, at least) have initiated me into the style of match I saw him do with Supremo, which to me is too much FIP ("TIP?" to be very enjoyable. It pops the crowd, but I can't really understand it in isolation. 

*I have done some isolated, rambling reviews before. I anticipate all of mine to be similar. I'll be reviewing mostly Wednesdays during my Winter break from teaching. 

Next tried the handheld vs. La Parka, which connvinces me I need to have a damn Park/Parka/Whatever weekend in lockdown or something until I understand that tradition...but that's mostly Parka's entrance. I will really need to revisit my mentality here, and see if I just don't like the "Base Technico" style in general...but Pierroth Jr. seems like a full-time "writhing face" to me here. I don't know man, this feels like looking for good live Sex Pistols performances. If there was something there...no one ever captured it. Apparently he was the rudo here which...I am so lost. Genuinely thought he was the Techniko vs. Supremo. 

Anyway, there's lots more (checking out Cien Caras and Konnan vs. The Killer and Pierroth now; the hell, Konnan was a Ricky Steamboat type in Mexico once?), but for time's sake I'm cutting him as a no-chance. Definitely going to have a Lucha deep-dive, possible nothing but for a full year. So a reversal before 2026 is not unheard of for me. 

• 2 months later...

The rich man's Cien Caras. If you want a wrestler with personality, why vote for one of the rest when you can vote for the best? Pierroth knew who he was and what he could do. He was a brawler, but he wasn't a wild, flailing brawler like Sangre Chicana. Pierroth would chop you in the chest and hit you in the face, and if you got him just right then he would go stiff as a board and fall flat on his back. He liked to talk and he knew how to act, and he could also secretly wrestle a little. I'm not the biggest fan of wrestlers best described as "charismatic", but the thing with Pierroth is that he could fill in charisma gaps for other guys and get the crowd into matches with workers like Mogur and Supremo. Going on what we have, he found himself somewhere between the end of 1986 (just an undercard rudo trying to make it) and the middle of 1988 (no longer has the patience to share the ring with Birdman). They turned him tecnico in 1992. Some fans say that Pierroth shouldn't have been a tecnico, just so that such a definitive rudo could say he was never anything else, but he really was good at it. Then in the late '90s he returned to Arena Mexico as an unmasked over the top villain, and he seemed to get the appeal of the trendy US/PR wrestling style better than anyone else in Mexico. He got one vote last time, a #93 from El Boricua. It could have been higher but there were probably some lingering hard feelings from that mask match in '95.

The best of Pierroth (some of these have already been listed):
Pierroth, Ulises and Supremo vs Jaque Mate, Hijo del Gladiador and Tierra Viento y Fuego (bloody rudos vs rudos brawl with Pierroth playing babyface)
Pierroth, Ulises and MS-1 vs Mogur, Dandy and Popitekus
Pierroth vs Mogur (in these two matches Mogur contributes the technical skill and Pierroth contributes the heat, great complementary pairing)
Pierroth vs Supremo (this is 95% made by Pierroth's selling and his popularity, and it's better than the mask match IMO)
Pierroth, Mascara Magica II and Atlantis vs Negro Casas, Kahoz and Mano Negra (tecnico Pierroth spends this match bullying Casas)
Pierroth, Mascara Año 2000 and Shocker vs Villano III, Atlantis and Perro Aguayo
Pierroth, Bestia Salvaje and Scorpio Jr. vs Villano III, Villano IV and Villano V