Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-07-18-Ruleta de la Muerte] El Satanico & Zumbido & Valentin Mayo & Virus & Rencor Latino vs Starman & Astro Rey Jr & El Oriental & Tigre Blanco & Mr Aguila

Loss

• 1 month later...

Fantastic match. This is paced like Michinoku Pro, and there are some incredible high flying moves in this one. I'd call some out but I had some trouble distinguishing who was who. I loved the dive into the rana on the floor and the Shooting Star Press. M-Pro was obviously influenced by lucha libre, and this was CMLL guys letting their influencers influence them. The pacing, character work and flying action was definitely consistent with that. I'll go back and give this one the in-depth treatment at some point, but it's an awesome match that never lets up. Virus is especially phenomenal and I'm glad he got the chance to go the distance. We're left with Satanico and Zumbido as the final two.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This was amazing. Aguila's dive that took him out of the match was great. It's also great that Virus totally over shadows him. Especially Virus's elimination of Starman. This match had some guys that would go on to be big time stars in the promotion later on. Rencor Latino(Averno) and Astro Rey Jr(Mephisto).

• 4 months later...

Awesome match full of spots and action. I think having Virus in these types of matches is great to make them reach the next level because he is able to bring his tremendous wrestling to the table which helps offset some of the spottiness of the match around him. THis is essentially all you could ask for in a high-octane multi-man match in the middle of a card. ****

• 4 weeks later...

M-Pro was obviously influenced by lucha libre, and this was CMLL guys letting their influencers influence them.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that the style in Mexico's biggest promotion was being influenced by a medium sized Japanese promotion back in 1999.

This was a Torneo Cibernetico so single elimination rules apply. It was smart thinking to only allow one partner on the apron at a time, so as not to block the view. As expected it was fast paced action all the way. Some spectacular flying from Mr Aguila in particular. Once I've finished my 90's project in 2017 I can move onto Lucha from this century. When that happens I'm definitely planning to catch a Virus match or 30, he looked great here. Satanico seemed out of place because he was a different generation to the other 9 Luchadors. The quality level was generally impressive, although there were minor mistakes. You have to remember these guys were midcarders rather than the main eventers you had in the famous 1997 Cibernetico's. Zumbido and Satan were the survivors.

• 1 year later...

Surprised no one mentioned among the other guys who'd change names, that Mr. Aguila was the future Essa Rios. He looks better here than he did in the WWF--not great, exactly, but he did hit two killer spots in the shooting star and the over-the-post plancha, the latter of which he'd be allowed to keep in the future. This was terrific, one of the better lucha matches of the year, with good time to showcase everybody, and everyone acquits themselves well, though Virus is the standout. You kind of wish there'd have been a bigger build to the finish, but in a way it was kind of refreshing to see the rudos just swarm a guy when they have him 2-on-1 and suffocate him before he can come back.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-07-18-Ruleta de la Muerte] El Satanico & Zumbido & Valentin Mayo & Virus & Rencor Latino vs Starman & Astro Rey Jr & El Oriental & Tigre Blanco & Mr Aguila