Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-07-18-ECW-Heatwave] Taz vs Taijiri

Loss

• 1 month later...

I was looking forward to this match, but it didn't do anything for Taijiri to get squashed like this. I also thought they could have had a really good match without the usual shortcuts of weapons and interference and didn't. And that finish was so disgusting and beyond the pale that I can't even begin to wrap my head around it. ECW crossed too many lines on this show. Just awful.

I just checked a few places, including your thread in the ECW folder, and feel a little better about the finish after reading it. It was barbed wire. I thought he pulled a live rat out of the garbage can and threw it on his face. It didn't make sense to me that ECW would pan back like that for barbed wire. I was pretty shaken up by that.

• 2 months later...

The other Taz/Tajiri match is much better but I still thought this was pretty good. Tajiri gets some good offense in before the big ending with Taz standing tall running through all the guys on the ramp. That stuff was pretty well done and the crowd was really into it, and the work that came before was just fine, so I enjoyed this overall. Don't get the ending either. Didn't pick up on what it was supposed to be and if it was just barbed wire ... did they want to make the audience think it was something different? Treating a barbed wire spot like that on a show with a flaming table bump seems rather odd.

• 3 months later...

Well I thought this was better than it actually was but I still liked it. Taz actually sold some for Tajiri which is an improvement from the Candido matches earlier in the year. That finish was weird though. I guess it had something to do with TNN but that was right out of the WCW handbook doing the wideshot. This is ECW where earlier in the show, you had Bubba Ray dudley talking about a mother teaching her daughter how to suck and you censor this? Just strange.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I liked this better than the Dudleys match but agree on the bells and whistles not being necessary, even if Jack Victory eating a wheelchair to the face was a well-done spot. Tajiri got in more offense than I might have expected and carried himself well as a top challenger. I have no idea why the finish was put over as so heinous if all he did was strangle him with barbed wire. I mean, a non-fan might read that sentence and be horrified, but we've seen plenty worse--as has Joey Styles.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-07-18-ECW-Heatwave] Taz vs Taijiri