Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-07-25-WWF-Fully Loaded] Steve Austin vs The Undertaker

Loss

• 1 month later...

Last few minutes. Vince is gutsy, taking bumps while still in the wheelchair. X-Pac runs in to get revenge for a recent Undertaker attack when Undertaker is about to pelt Austin. Austin pelts Undertaker with a TV camera. Undertaker bleeds first and Austin wins, although it sure looks like both were bleeding to me. Vince is done for on TV forever and ever. HHH shows up immediately and attacks Austin to put the focus on where it should be. Rock ends up coming out for a piece of HHH and they have done a great job elevating these guys, although they still have work to do with HHH. The brawl continues for a while after the match and looks great. Why couldn't they have a match this good?

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

A lot going on here and it feels like the end of the era a bit but of course that was forgotten in a couple of months. Taker gets busted open but Austin is after the match due to Taker hitting him with a chair. They have a pretty spirited brawl afterward. I thought it was interesting to see XPac mixed in here. HHH also immediately attacks Austin setting up the SUmmerSlam program.

• 1 year later...

Someone must have reigned Russo in. There are run-ins, but they at least make sense, and it's hard to really build up to a dramatic finish in a first-blood match. All in all an effective "ending" to this feud.

Triple H cuts a video-exclusive promo that's far more of a traditional wrestling promo than the one on Heat--he even puts Austin over.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-07-25-WWF-Fully Loaded] Steve Austin vs The Undertaker
  • 5 years later...

End of an era. Either Austin goes or Vince does. Neither can exist in the WWF (for at least a month and a half, apparently). It’s a year in the making, with the build going back to last year’s King Of The Ring when Taker cost Austin the WWF title in a first blood match, and then so much more has happened since. Too much to cover in a little review (I could but I won’t). In the recent weeks, both guys have been very keen on making each other bleed before this match, which makes it even more likely that they would pour open easily. Makes perfect sense to me. Both have bleed on the show already so they are even coming into the match. The match starts similarly to the prior match. No waiting for the official stuff like ring entrances; immediate fight on the floor. Taker wins the exchange of punches and Austin wisely covers up. The crowd seems much more buzzed for this match though. The stakes are high and the match is wrestled like it. Taker digs his nails into Austin’s head and makes extra care in his aim while punching. Austin’s selling is really good in these moments too. His desperation is palpable. Vince McMahon is on commentary cheering on the Undertaker, going crazy when Taker is in control and is in despair when he’s not. I find it very effective in selling the stipulation. Austin starts working the leg as a defence but that just forces Taker to start using a steel chair but he can’t connect with his wild swings. The match gets to its next level after Taker gets his arms trapped in the ropes Andre style and Austin grabs a chair. Shane McMahon runs to make the save and gets smacked in the face for his troubles but it allows time for Taker to escape. More interference follows whenever someone is in real trouble. First Vince and then X-Pac. Austin gets the rub of the green and hits Taker with a video camera and draws a lot of blood! But the ref is down, because of course but eventually sees and rewards the match to Austin. Vince McMahon is gone! Triple H attacks Austin, his future opponent and the Rock follows to continue the utter chaos. Taker has lost but he’s not very accepting and still tries to fight. Both are bloody and slugging it out on the floor before the refs separate them. Austin humiliates Vince McMahon once more with a stunner, not his first one of the PPV and celebrates to a great reaction. And breathe….****