Pro Wrestling Only

Chicky Starr

Grimmas

I need to see how much 90's Chicky Starr there is and how good it is.

In the 80's he really doesn't have enough to make my top 100, though his Scaffold Match with Invader 3 is legitimately excellent and one of the better rudo performances I've ever seen in a high stakes gimmick bout. Technically he's nothing special but if you are someone like Parv who is drawn to guys who can connect/draw heat with the crowd on a level like few others I could see rating Chicky

• 6 months later...

Parv asked for some recommendations so I'm going to link to a few. These aren't necessarily his best matches, but four matches that showcase him doing different things.

v. Curtis Thompson

Not a great match but a good example of Starr getting a solid match out of a complete slug in large part because he was so good at getting heat.

Chicky Starr v. The Invader

Almost a squash built around a cheap shot we didn't see, but this is Chicky at his absolute best building heat, against one of the best sellers in wrestling history.

Chicky Starr v. Invader 3

The opposite of the previous match, with Chicky on the receiving end of a one sided ass beating, but being great in that role.

v. Invader III - Scaffold Match

The best Scaffold Match ever which is not at all damning this with feint praise. This would likely be at top five Puerto Rico match of the 80's, no worse than top ten. Chicky's best match.

v. Invader III - Scaffold Match

The best Scaffold Match ever which is not at all damning this with feint praise. This would likely be at top five Puerto Rico match of the 80's, no worse than top ten. Chicky's best match.

Damn. I was really looking forward to this but if this is the best PR has to offer I'm not sure I'll find a whole lot to love. Despite having a much wider platform to work with (literally -- this scaffold is probably 50-100% wider than in Dundee vs. Koko), they didn't take much advantage of the situation and did a worse than usual job of teasing the falls. Short of a couple interesting wrinkles near the finish there wasn't much here to capitalize on the visual or tease a deathly fall. Pretty disappointing.

You and I have pretty different tastes a lot of the time so I'm not terribly surprised you weren't into that bout. I thought it was tremendous the last time I watched which was a few months ago. And I've thought it was tremendous every time I watched it before that. Having said that the gimmick may not work for some no matter what, different strokes, et.

Having said that I wouldn't let your thoughts on this match discourage you from watching more PR. Granted everyone who has been watching a bunch of the footage loves this match and would rate it really highly, but that is still relative. There are plenty of Invader and Colon matches at minimum that I imagine the majority of fans would really like if not love.

The platform might have been wider but the appeal in the match for me was how high it was. Seriously, that looked almost twice as high as your usual scaffold. The teases genuinely made my stomach churn and added true drama. Chicky made good use of heat and pacing early on and Invaders dropkick was a great, well built spot. I loved Starr's wobbly splats into the platform floor. Not as good as Dundee/Koko and probably not one of the best PR matches I've seen (I'm not exactly a connoisseur) but I'm glad I took the time to watch it.

You and I have pretty different tastes a lot of the time so I'm not terribly surprised you weren't into that bout. I thought it was tremendous the last time I watched which was a few months ago. And I've thought it was tremendous every time I watched it before that. Having said that the gimmick may not work for some no matter what, different strokes, et.

Having said that I wouldn't let your thoughts on this match discourage you from watching more PR. Granted everyone who has been watching a bunch of the footage loves this match and would rate it really highly, but that is still relative. There are plenty of Invader and Colon matches at minimum that I imagine the majority of fans would really like if not love.

Not closing the book on PR at all, as I've liked the Hansen stuff I've seen there and even some insanity with Colon & Abby. This didn't make the grade, though I fully recognize that the gimmick is an incredibly difficult one to make exciting beyond a couple teases and the climactic bump. Give me blood and weapons and crowds that look like they may burn down the city and I will likely be a happy man.

There you go

My main thought coming out of that is that I really want to see more Invader #3 who looked really good in those two matches.

As for Starr, he may be a bit limited for my tastes. It seems weird to say this but I thought his begging off was weirdly "undynamic" begging off. Like compared to a Flair or Arn, it isn't high-level begging off. What he does, he does seem to do well though and is a pretty good bleeder. If the scaffold match is his career match, I don't know if he'd have a shot at my 100. But he was certainly a decent worker from the evidence of those four matches.

• 7 years later...