Sheamus

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5673 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:25 AM

There's something to be said for the fact that he's probably not as good a worker as people think technically speaking, but I don't really see why anyone would care otherwise. Fans only care about the output not the input. 

#22 The Chief

The Chief
  • Members
  • 1580 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:32 PM

I wouldn't rank Sheamus for the same reasons many wouldn't rank Marty Jannetty, I can't rank a guy based on what ifs. No doubt is Sheamus a great wrestler but he lacks so many other things that I look for. No real emotion in his work. No hatred, no sympathy. He's been programmed against so many guys but has never really had a feud. His matches are always good but they're almost always forgotten in a week. A lot of these things are the promotions fault and not his, but I can only rate him on his resume not potential.

#23 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10164 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:15 PM

I feel almost the exact opposite way in the sense that I think he's a guy who has far exceeded his potential. 

#24 TRMD

TRMD
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

I wouldn't rank Sheamus for the same reasons many wouldn't rank Marty Jannetty, I can't rank a guy based on what ifs. No doubt is Sheamus a great wrestler but he lacks so many other things that I look for. No real emotion in his work. No hatred, no sympathy. He's been programmed against so many guys but has never really had a feud. His matches are always good but they're almost always forgotten in a week. A lot of these things are the promotions fault and not his, but I can only rate him on his resume not potential.

I think Sheamus is fantastic in-ring, but I agree with this. I think it's actually the case with 95% of the roster.

#25 Steenalized

Steenalized
  • Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:38 AM

Sheamus has been the best worker in the WWE this year and I'd say he was pretty great and '13 and '12 too from what I recall. I get why people don't like him. His character ranges between grating and downright brutal as a face. WWE booking doesn't exactly give him a chance to shine in a meaningful way at this point. Yet Sheamus is putting on good to great matches every week. 

#26 BillThompson

BillThompson
  • Members
  • 1553 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:53 PM

I'm not speaking for anyone but it seems to me like there's an anti-Sheamus sentiment from Irish/UK pro wrestling fans. At least that's the vibe I get when I hear them talk about Sheamus as opposed to McIntyre, Lynch, or Devitt. I have no idea why that might be, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

#27 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4453 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:20 PM

I'm not speaking for anyone but it seems to me like there's an anti-Sheamus sentiment from Irish/UK pro wrestling fans. At least that's the vibe I get when I hear them talk about Sheamus as opposed to McIntyre, Lynch, or Devitt. I have no idea why that might be, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

I'm not aware of that but would it be the same old shit that crosses all national boundaries ala "the big muscular guy gets the push instead of our favorites"?

#28 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:54 PM

Maybe there's also a sense of resentment for Sheamus being a very cartoony, derivative Irish stereotype, whereas they can point to the Devitts and Lynchs of the world and see them as more post-modern Irish characters - wrestlers who happen to be Irish and not an Irish tale telling, Guinness drinking, shamrock wearing, ranga caricature.

I think there'd be at least a bit of embarrassment at such a caricature from the people he's representing who know far better, the same way that I might cringe if there was a cork hat wearing, boomerang throwing, kangaroo chasing Croc Hunter rip off in WWE.

#29 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1381 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

Maybe there's also a sense of resentment for Sheamus being a very cartoony, derivative Irish stereotype, whereas they can point to the Devitts and Lynchs of the world and see them as more post-modern Irish characters - wrestlers who happen to be Irish and not an Irish tale telling, Guinness drinking, shamrock wearing, ranga caricature.

I think there'd be at least a bit of embarrassment at such a caricature from the people he's representing who know far better, the same way that I might cringe if there was a cork hat wearing, boomerang throwing, kangaroo chasing Croc Hunter rip off in WWE.

Bingo!

Father Ted, anyone?

#30 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2655 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

Outback Jack?

#31 PhilTLL

PhilTLL
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:07 AM

I need to watch more of him, as my WWE watching basically fell off a cliff when he started, but Sheamus always struck me as "competition barbecue." Hits the marks on the score sheet in technically impeccable fashion, but totally non-distinct, and thus forgotten ten minutes after eating.

Speaking of food, I think "has good matches every week" is no longer what it used to be, just like you expect every meal out to be better than 10-20-30 years ago, because the floor is a lot higher.

#32 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

I don't know why I thought this but I thought Sheamus would be sorta a darkhorse on this list. Not to be near the top but still be a bit higher than people expected. The more talk that goes into this the more unlikely it seems. Not sure I get the "potential" talking point. Sheamus seems to be a guy that has made more out of what he's been given than most. He just happens to be not amazing at the parts that aren't in the confines of a wrestling match. Since that has no bearing on this he feels like a guy who could move up faster than maybe any other wrestler based on the next year of work. 

A couple of POSITIVES for the guy:

• Works stiff. And I like stiff. 
  • Consistently good-great TV worker
  • Can work against a variety of guys
  • Doesn't look out of place and is at least above average in 1v1, 2v2, multi-man matches, gimmick matches, ect.

#33 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4392 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:29 AM

He's reached his potential as far as I'm concerned, but I'm not voting for a guy who's put up four good years. There's simply too much competition for that to be enough.

#34 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7352 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

I do think that's a fair point. Sheamus is a guy who in the overall scheme of things, hasn't made a very big mark in WWE. He has an advantage of having a lot of good matches on tape, but should he really get on the list over guys we have less footage of but had a much bigger impact? I mean when there is at least a handful of footage on a big name from the past that looks really good, I'm going to rank that higher over a guy who has had the advantage of being in a completely different era where having good matches every week on TV is actually possible.

#35 Alan4L

Alan4L
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:36 AM

well I'd say I'm the outlier to that if that's true. He's close to being my favourite guy in WWE right now, and as a whole I think his WWE work has been stellar. I get actively pissed off when the smarky North East crowds shit on him, and chant "boring" and stuff.

For anyone wondering about his pre-WWE career, he was atrocious. Dunno how much I'd hold it against him though - particularly if he keeps his good WWE work going.

#36 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1381 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:09 AM

well I'd say I'm the outlier to that if that's true. He's close to being my favourite guy in WWE right now, and as a whole I think his WWE work has been stellar. I get actively pissed off when the smarky North East crowds shit on him, and chant "boring" and stuff.

For anyone wondering about his pre-WWE career, he was atrocious. Dunno how much I'd hold it against him though - particularly if he keeps his good WWE work going.

I think his body of work, particularly 2012, is very good. He's rock solid as a performer - a slightly higher up the card Arn Anderson type.

It's just his characterisation/caricaturisation that grates with me slightly.

#37 Alan4L

Alan4L
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:43 AM

I think his body of work, particularly 2012, is very good. He's rock solid as a performer - a slightly higher up the card Arn Anderson type.

It's just his characterisation/caricaturisation that grates with me slightly.

oh don't get me wrong, any time he's got a mic in his hands I cringe. His character is grating as hell. EXCEPT when he's in the midst of a match. It's funny, we give the likes of Austin and Hansen props for getting across their character so well during the course of a match. With Sheamus, it's almost like I'd give him props for managing to make me forget about his shitty character during the course of the match!

#38 Badlittlekitten

Badlittlekitten
  • Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:04 PM

Will get a vote from me. For delivering good matches week in week out I think he's got the likes of Matt Hardy and Christian beat at this point. And for all the criticism he got as a character I never found him as boring and vapid as them two. In fact I've quite a soft spot for his daft "flush bullies heads down de bog" babyface character. He fantastic current heel work puts him over the edge.

#39 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1885 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:42 PM

I guess Sheamus is a good candidate based on volume if you think he's produced an enormous number of *** TV matches but I'd probably rate all those matches a star or two lower. His matches vs Rusev were really good and unique. His match vs. Daniel Bryan from Smackdown earlier this year was great and it was almost surreal that something like that happened in a WWE ring seeing as it looked way more like a high end WAR brawl. Maybe some of you appreciate these glimpses of quality he shows from time to time a lot more than I do, but it's pretry clear he can only put it together when he's in there with a superior worker. He doesn't work like that always. Or often. Or really in 99% of his matches. On a week to week basis he's pretty useless and he's the guy who will shreik a stupid catchphrase for two minutes because Vince finay saw The Gladiator and sit in a chinlock forever. His supposed skills like "working stiff" aren't skills at all when you actually watch his matches and realise how little of his stuff actually looks like it matches his reputation. Maybe he's just not good at protecting his opponents. That's certainly the impression I get.

#40 Exposer

Exposer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2198 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

Sheamus is in. He won't finish high or anywhere close to it on my list, but he's got seven years of high quality work. That's plenty to get him in. I think the Daniel Bryan 2/3 Falls match at Extreme Rules 2012 and the Hell in a Cell 2012 match with Big Show are two of greatest WWE matches of all time. He's had good to great matches with everyone. This includes Orton, Bryan, Big Show, Mark Henry, Cesaro, Ambrose, Reigns, Goldust, Evan Bourne, John Morrison, Titus, Tensai, Ziggler, Barrett, Christian, Harper, Bray, Cena, Del Rio, HHH, Batista, Miz, Jericho, and Rusev. This doesn't include all of the great tags and six mans he's been a part of over the years. He has WWE MOTYCs with Morrison in 2010, Bryan & Show in 2012, Cesaro & EC Shield six man in 2013, and Ambrose in 2014. The Bryan 2/3 Falls is a MOTDC in my opinion. He has great offense, is exceptional at selling, can switch his spots around based on his opponents, is a great tag worker, can work stiff heavyweight fights, brawls, and lengthy matches focusing on body part work and selling. He's both a great heel and face in ring. His biggest negatives are he works in modern WWE which everyone hates and has a shitty gimmick. He's great and will definitely find a spot towards the end of my ballot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users