• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Bierschwale

Bierschwale
  • Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

Ambrose's US title return match, right?

I legitimately think that Meltzer goes ***** on that exact same match if you change Ambrose-Sheamus © on SmackDown to Ishii-Makabe © at Dominion.

#42 Exposer

Exposer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2202 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

Yep. It's a really great match. And you're probably right about Meltz too.

#43 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10265 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:16 AM

Sheamus is another candidate hugely helped for me by the amount of footage we have so as to make me feel more confident about just how good he is. He's someone that we just have so much of in the last seven years that it makes him easy to fully grasp. He's at the very end of my list but I value week to week TV matches almost as much as anyone here, I think, and he's one of the first people to come to mind in that regard. Still, if I suddenly decide, in the next week, that I've fully wrapped my head around someone like Keith Haward or Negro Navarro completely and that they absolutely need to be on my list, he's going to be one of the first casualties. 

#44 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

He just missed the final cut for me. 

#45 Jingus

Jingus
  • Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:29 PM

He just missed the final cut for me.

Ditto. I like Sheamus, nothing wrong with his work, but he suffers from some stuff that too many modern WWE stars suffer from. Their matches are so micromanaged by the promotion, with the script and the agents and the timing of the segments and the commercial breaks always happening the same way and the general in-ring rules of WWE Main Event Style and the requirements to hit so many signature moves to make the crowd pop and also a LONG list of various moves they aren't allowed to do for various reasons... with all this shit to worry about, way too many of the matches end up blurring together and looking like the exact same goddamn match every single night. Sometimes you'll have an exception, but Sheamus isn't a Daniel Bryan who is so brilliant that he can routinely find ways to work around the WWE's strict insistence on making the in-ring action as prefab and cookie-cutter as they possibly can.

#46 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:01 PM

I'll most probably be Sheamus' high voter. He's getting stupidly high for me.

In terms of WWE Cookie Cutterness, I think his 2012 World Champ run really elevated him to a level beyond the simple "he's had plenty of good but soulless WWE matches" that people seem to place him in. His 2012 was insanely good, and came with not only a slew of good-to-great TV matches basically every week, but also really special, high end matches (vs Bryan, vs Show) and he himself worked as a consummate babyface world champ like almost nobody else has done this century. His ability to get the balance right between dominance and sympathetic selling was so on point, and he worked to hierarchy perfectly, which is something people like Dylan like to cite as a good trait.

In particular, it's his arm selling throughout 2012 that impressed me. Bryan worked over the arm during their feud in April/March, but instead of forgetting about it and moving on the week after, Sheamus worked the rest of the year like he had a chronic arm problem. His arm was a genuine weak spot that the random midcarders he'd face on TV could exploit in order to create vulnerability. The only interesting thing about his summer feud with Alberto was the fact that Alberto had the armbreaker and it was a genuine threat to a guy with a bad arm. Even just the simple spot of a guy missing a tackle and running their shoulder into the post suddenly meant something in Sheamus matches, because when it happened it was a legit turning point, and Sheamus was always like "Fuck, not this fucking arm again." And most of the time he'd still overcome this setback and win (he was the babyface world champ after all) but it created the necessary drama in his matches in a really intelligent way.

It was the thread that ran through his whole 2012, and again I think is something that really makes him stand out in the age of the WWE assembly line. He's capable of being much more than that.

#47 Quentin Skinner

Quentin Skinner
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:22 PM

The more I think about it as time winds down for this project, Sheamus isn't an out of the box pick could sneak on to my ballot in the 90-100 range. A guy who's capable a lot, but doesn't really have many "big matches" to really boost his case. Even with that being said I think he's that great of a TV worker (one of the best in his era) and has done stuff I've enjoyed with a variety of guys like Reigns, Goldust, Bryan, Morrison, Cesaro, Big Show, Mark Henry, Ambrose, Del Rio, and Ziggler. As Jimmy mentioned he actually can work effectively switching between sympathetic and dominant as a babyface which is something I don't think he gets enough credit for. He's also great as a brutish, bully heel. Glad I'm not the only one who's really high on his 2012. May not be important to other people, but I always end up super impressed with Sheamus when he's thrown in to gimmick matches. In ladder matches he's very unselfish and has no problem taking insane bumps which is something you don't expect from a man his size. 

#48 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1891 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

I was kind of perplexed what was the whole "Sheamus as Misawa" comparison about and wondering whether I accidentally slept hrough that part of that one podcast but now I remembered it was about him having multiple moves he could put opponents away.

Yeah I disagree.

What happened is basically they gave him a bunch of moves that used to be someone's finishers (Air Raid Craish, Cloverleaf, maybe someone used the Fireman's Carry Roll...I think that's it?) and then he won a match or two with them before quickly prostituting their credibility. If you're raving about Sheamus having all these finishers you better put over Dolph Ziggler's Sleeperhold and John Cena's Diving Legdrop. Punk *really* only had the Go 2 Sleep as a proper finisher but his Anaconda Vice and Roundhouse Kick won more matches than any of Sheamus' secondary stuff. It's an odd and blatantly utrue talking point.

I also hate it when wrestlers hook the leg just for the sake of doing it. The shoulders matter. Sheamus hooking the leg when he's facing Big Show always looked so stupid.

#49 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:08 PM

My Sheamus as Misawa talking point had little to do with multiple finishers and almost everything to do with how he worked as an ace in a similar way to him.

#50 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1891 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:25 AM

Well someone brought it up anyway. I've hammered on Sheamus enough. He's had some great matches over the years. So has Taguchi. Dylan likes overrating mediocre wrestlers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users