Pro Wrestling Only

Jay Briscoe

Grimmas

• 6 months later...

One half of my favorite act in the history of indie wrestling. Watching him and Mark evolve from crazy spot monkey children, into deranged rednecks that work a hybrid style has been a real joy. I prefer him teaming with Mark, but he does have a real bad ass, "this guy is legitimately dangerous" vibe that makes him stand out as a singles guy as well. That makes it all the more funny that probably his most famous singles match was the mauling he suffered at the hands of Joe. Lots of tag matches I have really loved over the course of the years, and some damn fine singles matches make him someone I will consider from the indie scene.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I think Jay's best two singles matches are vs. Jay Lethal from 6/19/15 and vs. Roderick Strong from 1/15/11

Was drafting my Top 50 last night and both Jay and Mark made my list and I might be the high vote on both. Jay came in at #41, Mark at #50. I absolutely love these guys. Both guys bring something different to the table (I'll explain more in the Mark thread) but having a list of the 100 best wrestlers and not including these two would be ridiculous to me. They both have very good-great singles matches, but they do the little things so well. I watch Jay work with a guy like a Donavon Dijak and Jay is a complete professional. He leads him to quality outings. Both guys, by all means, have the talent to be millionaires. Twitter has been their worst enemy.

People are going to watch Jay Briscoe tapes in 100 years and wonder how the hell this guy wasn't a mega star and how the hell he isn't considered an all time great.

As Dylan said he has that legitimate dangerous aura about him, not just between the ropes but also in his promos, which are the most believable nd easiest to suspend disbelief for in the business today.

Don't forget to check out the NOAH tags circa 2007.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a handful of Jay singles matches worth checking out (all from ROH):

2002.08.24 vs Mark Briscoe

2004.03.13 vs Samoa Joe [steel Cage]

2006.12.09 vs Davey Richards

2013.12.14 vs Adam Cole vs Michael Elgin

2014.12.07 vs Adam Cole [Fight Without Honor]

2015.06.19 vs Jay Lethal

2015.10.17 vs Adam Page [No Holds Barred]

• 5 years later...
On 6/16/2021 at 1:53 PM, El Dragon said:

Feels like Jay got under talked about in 2016, and he’s another super interesting name to me. He’s been working 20 years now, with only a short break in there, and he’s been good-great most of it. 

Anyone have anything on standout performances in the last 5 years?

Briscoes vs. Rush & Dragon Lee from a few years ago was awesome. 

https://www.rohwrestling.com/top-videos/briscoes-vs-rush-and-dragon-lee

Both he and Mark were in the 60-70 range for me in 2021. I feel like if I go back and revisit their really early work, they could climb up the ranks for me. 

• 7 months later...