Pro Wrestling Only

The Rougeau Brothers

Grimmas

I definitely need to see more Montreal stuff. The feud with the Garvins is compelling stuff with a lot of fire. Outside of that they were very bland as faces in the WWF. As heels I thought they found their niche. They were really good as pompous heels. I liked how they were oblivious to the fans booing them.

What hurts them for me are during their heel run they only feuded with two top teams. The Rockers and Hart Foundation. Matches with the Rockers were better. I wish that 60 minute match from Boston Garden was available to see how they did with that kind of time. After those two teams they get delegated to wrestling in comedy matches with the Bushwhackers.

I don't expect to rank this team very high, still I think they were underrated during those heel years.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought they had better matches as faces, but were more interesting from a non wrestling standpoint as heels. I loathe the Bushwhacker matches, but I mean, it's the Bushwhackers, who had instant go away heat with me.

I really don't have a good feel for what a list of 100 tag teams would look like if I made one, but I suspect this team probably wouldn't make it. And this coming from someone who absolutely loves the mid to late 80's WWF tag team scene. Bulldogs, Harts, Rockers, Islanders, Strike Force, Brain Busters, Killer Bees, Orient Express (both versions), even Demolition who I found to be dry once the bell rang, all of these teams would be comfortably ahead of the Rougeaus. I'd probably have them ahead of the Dream Team (both versions) because Beefcake & Bravo are both terrible. Definitely ahead of the Bushwhackers, even if I include the Sheepherders stuff. Probably ahead of Young Stallions & Conquistadors, but that's no lock. Same for Haku & Andre, because Andre was shot but again, that no lock.

Joe, it's only 25 for the tag team list.

In that case, no shot!

They have a shot with me, just because their heel gimmick was perfect and generated so much heat. I can't imagine how hated they would had been if they faced the Rock 'n' Roll Express in Tennessee.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Been watching some Montreal stuff lately, and they are much better in their home territory as fired up babyfaces than anything I've seen from them when they were in WWF. Jacques especially has a ton of fire and throws some great punches. I just watched the matches with the Garvins yesterday and neither guy looked out of place trading punches and chops with "Hands of Stone" Ronnie Garvin.

Have no idea if any of that stuff is on youtube but if it's not out there and there's interest I could put it up. I don't think there is enough for me to put The Rougeau Brothers on a Top 25 but they definitely look like a "What If" team if the WWF hadn't killed the territories and they'd been able to keep doing their thing in Montreal.

• 4 months later...

Rougeaus seemed like a team that wasn't quite right for the time period from a work perspective, but I did enjoy the gimmick as the All-American Boys and felt they brought something to the table. I don't doubt the Montreal part of the act as fired up babyfaces, but I'm not sure it's enough to push them over the top with some of the other teams that are out there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Joe, it's only 25 for the tag team list.

In that case, no shot!

They have a shot with me, just because their heel gimmick was perfect and generated so much heat. I can't imagine how hated they would had been if they faced the Rock 'n' Roll Express in Tennessee.

Ha! Yes! The All-American Boys vs. The Rock n' Roll Express in Tennessee!!! That could have made their case among the 25 :-) ... The Garvin stuff in Montreal is cool. But other than that, I actually preferred their heel run (of what I've seen, there might be great unseen stuff from Montreal). The Bushwackers matches was for the kids, so don't even know how to take that into account when considering The Rougeaus and The Sheepherders. Other than that, I generally enjoy their stupid little flags and their underrated matches. As others have said, it is a drawback that they are too uneven... It seems kindda random wether or not a Rougeuas match is really, really fun or very, very boring... Don't think they'll quite make it, but I'll be playing out that feud against the Rock n' Rolls in my mind for some time :-)