Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-08-28-ECW-TV] Dudley Boys vs Spike Dudley & Balls Mahoney

Loss

• 1 month later...

Another match between these teams? I'll take it. Not as good as the first match, which is fine, but this might as well be a Bubba Ray vs Spike singles match since the camera almost never focuses on the other pairing. They lost me when they did the stuff with the referee where he tried to double clothesline them. I don't think this was a bad match, but it was bloated. Bubba Ray looks excellent in this, but he also seems like a selfish worker, with at least 80% of the sequences seeming designed to make him look good. Spike goes through the double flaming tables and I think after all this time, it's about time the Dudleys get a taste of their own medicine and have to take the bump. It's good to see Balls and Spike get the win, but the body of the match did more to make the Dudleys - and more specifically, Bubba Ray - look like the star of the show. There is some good stuff in this match for sure, but the flaws take it down a few notches.

• 7 months later...

This was supposed to be the main event of the first TNN show but was too violent for the network. I hate this feud and these matches so much. If it wasn't for the god awful stuff WCW was doing, this would be the worst feud of the year if I was doing a year end awards. All these matches are the same. Babyfaces take control early, Dudleys take over. Babyfaces bleeds and they brawl into the crowd. Balls or Spike go through a burning table and they trade wins. This was the better of the matches on the set I guess but I hope never to see another Dudleys vs Balls/Spike match.

• 7 months later...

This was bloated at points but it did feel like a fitting blowoff and was a pretty insane brawl to end this whole feud and send the Dudleys packing to Stamford. The Dudley's do continue to get a lot of offense over on especially SPike. The spot through the flaming table especially was brutal and really put over ECW as an alternative product on a national network. I am glad to see Balls and Spike pick up the win. ***1/2

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1999-08-28-ECW-TV] Dudley Boys vs Spike Dudley & Balls Mahoney