Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-09-09-WWF-Smackdown] Ken Shamrock and Chris Jericho

Loss

• 1 month later...

Highlights of the Jericho-Shamrock feud to this point start us off. Shamrock comes in the ring and wants Jericho, since Jericho promised to confront him face-to-face on Smackdown. Jericho makes it to the ring but descends into the ring in a cage. Jericho shows the Polaroid he make Finkel take when he had Shamrock in the Walls and taunts Shamrock, who can't get his hands on him. Howard Finkel is supposed to be raising the cage to get Jericho out of there, but Lillian Garcia is arguing with the Fink about how he has been treating her lately and Shamrock gets in the cage and gets his hands on Jericho. He has to be pulled off of Jericho, and Tony Garea ends up taking a belly-to-belly suplex. In a funny moment, Jericho asks Finkel to open the door for him, then says he's fired and peels out.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Video package ahead of the segment is a good recap of stuff we have missed so far in the feud. Finkel with the wig and shiny shirt did make me chuckle. King making fun of Shamrock on commentary is pretty funny. The editing of the cage lowering was good. I really enjoyed this and think Shamrock vs. Jericho would have been a strong match at Unforgiven.

• 1 year later...

Good highlight package showing us the Y2J-Shamrock feud so far, including the amusing sight of Harold Finkle in a long blond wig and Jericho's outfit, suckering Shamrock into a parking lot attack. Jericho fulfills his promise to meet Shamrock face-to-face, but does so from the confines of a shark cage. Harold fails to raise the cage because he's in an argument with Lillian Garcia, and Shamrock does a RoboCop and bends the bars and gets into the cage. This was fun--God help me for saying this, and I'll make this trade-off every time, but Russo was one of Jericho's most powerful allies and I think he understood how to use him better than anyone else in charge in the WWF. He's pushed as a bigger deal but still has his goofy WCW charm.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-09-09-WWF-Smackdown] Ken Shamrock and Chris Jericho