Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-10-17-WWF-No Mercy] Jeff Jarrett vs Chyna (Good Housekeeping)

Loss

• 1 month later...

This is quite the sports entertainment match. They use all sorts of household cleaning items as weapons. Chyna makes a pretty decent effort here. Jarrett gets the win after hitting Chyna with the IC title, but the ref restarts the match because he used a championship belt, which is not a household item. Chyna catches Jarrett with a guitar shot when he's about to put the ref in a figure four and wins the IC title.

• 8 months later...

No wonder Jarrett held up Vince for more money to do this match. He carries Chyna to a respectable match while getting hit with such weapons as pies, a kitchen sink and powder. Not sure why they needed to do a Dusty finish though. Lawler spends most of the match cat calling his wife who leaves with Chyna to become her slave.

• 2 months later...

At the time Chyna was my least favourite wrestler, so I can't imagine I was too enamoured by this. The prestige of the IC Title had already been shot to pieces this year. I don't recall this stipulation ever being repeated. Jarrett departs, never to return. Yet.

• 3 months later...

Hey, this was a lot of fun! Lots of bells and whistles, no down time, simple but effective match structure: Chyna takes it to Jarret in the beginning with weapons shots, goes through a table to put Jarrett in control and an effective re-start finish with a good, decisive ending. In fact, this might actually be one of the best WWF matches of the year. Even top 10? Maybe.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I get the symmetry of having Jarrett live by the Dusty Finish the previous month and die by the Dusty Finish tonight, but they should have had Chioda or someone come out to inform Long of what happened instead of him arbitrarily changing his mind. That said, this is way better than it deserves to be with Jarrett going balls-to-the-wall to carry an admittedly game Chyna to the match of her life.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-10-17-WWF-No Mercy] Jeff Jarrett vs Chyna (Good Housekeeping)
  • 1 year later...

Chyna is incredibly over and her influence on intergender wrestling can't be denied, but let's face it, she couldn't work a lick. Thankfully Jarrett carries her to a surprisingly fun hardcore match. Jarrett spends most of this eating shots from household items, which is a satisfying watch given how well he pulled his misogynist gimmick off the last few months leading into this. Jarrett takes control after Chyna misses a dive and lands on a table set up at ringside. Jarrett initially wins after levelling Chyna with his belt, but the match is restarted once Teddy Long sees the replay and decides that a championship belt isn't a household object. Chyna lands a guitar shot and becomes the first and only woman to hold the Intercontinental strap.

Off all the blatant misogyny that can be found in the Attitude Era, this at least had a extremely satisfying conclusion and it boosted Chyna's star power in the process. This was WWF Hardcore title style mixed with the aforementioned Memphis wrestling- flavoured bullshit. Yeah, I don't hate this. 

★★¾

• 3 months later...

It's not a technically good match, no. But it's also never boring. It's a fun brawl and the moment of Chyna winning is a really nice bow on the end of the angle even if she didn't really deserve to be in this spot. I also laugh when the IC title is ruled to not be a "household object" and Lawler incredulously says "But I've seen it at Jeff's house!"