Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-10-05-ROH-Glory By Honor] Low Ki vs Samoa Joe

Loss

• 1 year later...

Samoa Joe's ROH Debut

Low Ki vs. Samoa Joe
Yeah, this match sure saved the show from being considered among the crowd of Suffocation, How We Roll, Underground, The Bitter End, and Escalation. (Don't be fooled by the card on the DVD cover artwork.) Not just a show-saver, but an incredible debut for Samoa Joe. The backstory itself was brilliant (Joe being nothing more than a hired gun of the Prophecy). And then to see someone come in to IMMEDIATELY show he could be Ki's equal in terms of brutality. The finish couldn't have been booked any better, as EVERYTHING in the match logically led to it. An absolutely fantastic way to maintain Ki's momentum and get Joe's ROH career started with a fucking BANG. Due to a number of unforeseen circumstances, I'd consider this to be one of the most important matches in company history; this showed that Joe could potentially become a cornerstone of the company at some point.
Rating: ****1/2

• 1 year later...

There's no two ways about it, this was just absolutely awesome. Stiff, brutal, stiff, and did I mention stiff? These guys just beat the shit out of each other and kept up the pace and the struggle until it culminated in a stiff (have I mentioned that yet) and logical finish. This is the kind of war of attrition that a lot of US indy matches wish they could be.

****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2002-10-05-ROH-Glory By Honor] Low Ki vs Samoa Joe
  • 5 months later...

Two of indy wrestlings greatest asskickers level epic beatings to eachother. Virtually every blow in this match landed with a major thud. The match lacked in transitions, but the sheer assbeating will keep you watching till the end. Ki looked amazing as not only was making minced meat of his bigger, menacing opponent with rapid fire Kawada kicks and flying kicks to the face but also locking in crazy armbars. Joe countering the Dragon Sleeper into his Island Driver was inspired. Pretty great finish.

• 1 month later...

Low-Ki vs Samoa Joe - ROH 10/5/02

The only thing the Smackdown roster is missing right now is Low-Ki. Imagine just a revolving door of AJ, Bryan, Joe & Ki tearing it up on Smackdown every week. I loved this match! It was BattlArts in America. No rope running. No Irish Whips. No intricate sequences. Just hard-hitting, smashmouth in your face action. Neither man giving an inch. They were constantly kicking out at one to prove a point that the other man had not hurt him even though they were beating the dogshit out of each other. Just a great combination of strikes, throws and submissions. This is Samoa Joe's debut and he is a hired gun for the top heel faction led by Christopher Daniels. This is a Fight Without Honor but there are no weapons or cheapshots just man on man, flesh on flesh. They set the tone early with some of the best pro wrestling ground and pound you will ever see. Those punches were STIFF! Ki's chops to Joe's back were brutal throughout. Low-Ki's suplexes looked so damn good in this match. Joe was looking slim & trim. Joe was kicking ass too. Loved the powerbomb into the STF. Joe got a big nearfall with the Island Driver. I love how Ki did NOT do any of his big highspots. No back handspring elbow or Tidal Wave. It shows his versatility and intelligence. You do those in matches with Amazing Red, not Samoa Joe. I love that thought process. He did go for his Dragon Clutch, but that's a submission that was his big nearfall compared to Joe's Island Driver. Then came the ending. Holy shit! They beat the shit out of each other and MY GOD Low-Ki DESTROYED Samoa Joe with those Kawada kicks. It looked like he was shoot kicking him in the face repeatedly. I love the Samoa Joe bellow before Low Ki clubs him to death for the win. When is the last time there was no highspot to win, you just clubbed youre way to victory. Awesome! Yes, they complaint is that the transitions arent that memorable and there is no grand story, but who fucking cares, they kicked ass so hard and it was fucking awesome! ****1/4

• 1 year later...

It's Samoa Joe's ROH debut, and he sure came to the company with a BANG. This is a complete strikefest with them beating the absolute shit out of one another right from the get go, with an occasional power move or submission, and it's the good stuff. I've never really been on the "it's a classic" boat for it, but it's definitely one helluva match. ***3/4

• 10 months later...

This ruled. I am digging the shoot style/MMA/Japanese influence on 2002 US indies. It may have bugged people at some point or another, but 20 years later I find it refreshing. I have no idea why people crap on Low Ki. I don't know what sins he commits later on, but in the early 00s he is the most interesting worker in the US. There's some bomb throwing toward the end of this, and the type of strikefest that was already turning folks off New Japan in '98, but it didn't stop this from being badass.