Pro Wrestling Only

Chris Masters

Grimmas

Masters is another one of those guys who it's worth looking at again if you like him and worth checking out if you don't know him, even if he won't make many ballots (if at all) at the end of the day. I feel like a HUGE positive side-effect of this project is the sheer amount of good workers who's names are being mentioned and spruiked to a receptive audience.

The essential Masters is basically his WWE C Show run from his second stint in the company (2009-11). I imagine he's still doing good work on the indies but someone more familiar will have to fill that in. But in 2010-11 the guy was one of the best babyface workers around, with a fantastic dedication to selling that I think a lot of people here will appreciate.

From WWE the stuff to look at would be from Superstars:

vs Dolph Ziggler - May 2010

vs Drew Mac - 28th August 2010

vs Tyler Reks - a series of matches that I think took place in early 2011

vs Drew Mac - 12th May 2011

vs Jack Swagger - 4th August 2011

I also want to mention his match with Drew Mac on Smackdown on 11th Feb 2011, which goes about 1:50 including Drew's mid-match promo, and is my favourite sub-2 minute match of all time.

I didn't follow wrestling much between about late 07 and early-mid 2011, basically when I was an undergrad. Chris Master's complete reversal in reputation during that run was maybe the biggest stunner when I dug around online. I've got to check out those matches because while I know his current rep, he's still that green stiff with some obvious enhancements from my memory.

I don't know who flipped the switch on Masters but I can't recall a more drastic and unexpected turnaround. I also can't recall someone who was a more dynamic limb seller who made sure every bit of work mattered in what he would do in a match. One armed powerslams, selling the knee after atomic drops, the guy got really good at making damage matter. That being said, I could see how someone could say he went over the top with it if they decided to take that tact. But man, he scratches my particular itches.

I am the original Masters pimp, but I just can't do it. He is a guy who SHOULD be a top 100 guy, but the WWE stupidly released one of the best workers on their roster, and he hasn't made tape on the indie scene nearly enough to add to his resume in the way he would need to to be at this level. As it stands he sort of feels like his generations Doug Somers, which is a compliment in some ways and really sad in others

I am the original Masters pimp, but I just can't do it. He is a guy who SHOULD be a top 100 guy, but the WWE stupidly released one of the best workers on their roster, and he hasn't made tape on the indie scene nearly enough to add to his resume in the way he would need to to be at this level. As it stands he sort of feels like his generations Doug Somers, which is a compliment in some ways and really sad in others

I have to agree with Dylan here, a guy that I love and would definitely make the list but has ALMOST been non-existent since his release, which is a shame considering what he was doing in WWE when he came back.

• 2 weeks later...

Masters works plenty, but rarely works places that make tape. The few times i've seen him since the release, he has always worked hard. He had an NWA World Title match in Houston that I saw live that I had around ****.

As it is, not nearly enough great stuff on tape to make a list like this.

He is the current Preston City Wrestling champion over here. He's had some cracking matches against the likes of Joey Hayes, Dave Mastiff, ReDragon, Chris Hero, Uhaa Nation and Rampage Brown that have made tape.

Hero-Masters seems like a dream match. As long as Masters was the face. That is on a much watch list.

• 1 year later...

I said Masters is a guy I'm still considering, and I am, but more out of hope than expectation. He seems like an outside chance at a "symbolic #100" spot, if I even go that route. But God damn, do I have a soft spot for the guy.

More than anything else I think it's due to the astonishing extent of his transformation. Being the anti-workrate, bodybuilder poster boy, disappearing, and then coming back as a workrate machine...it was really crazy how much of a 180 he took. I am a big fan of wrestling achievements, and boy is he a big one.

I've watched a few early Masters matches lately as I go through all the WWE pay-per-views, and he actually got pretty decent pretty quickly. You watch him in the match with Shawn Michaels, and he's a very effective power wrestler. There's a Matt Hardy/Mysterio Vs Masters/Snitsky match that is a bit of a hidden gem too.

Chris Masters is the best ex-WWF Star Who Will Be Brought in to a Local Indy That Is Not a Super Workrate Indy ever.

There's a range. On one end is Brutus Beefcake. On the other is Chris Masters.

In TV matches, I don't think there's a huge gap between his best babyface work and that of the holy trinity to be honest.

I said Masters is a guy I'm still considering, and I am, but more out of hope than expectation. He seems like an outside chance at a "symbolic #100" spot, if I even go that route. But God damn, do I have a soft spot for the guy.

More than anything else I think it's due to the astonishing extent of his transformation. Being the anti-workrate, bodybuilder poster boy, disappearing, and then coming back as a workrate machine...it was really crazy how much of a 180 he took. I am a big fan of wrestling achievements, and boy is he a big one.

Hope you check out Michaels vs. Masters from Unforgiven before the vote. A match that helps both guys.

Oh no question. I always liked him from the moment he showed up (He's soooo pretty...what?) and I enjoyed what he did. The Shawn match is really good, and I agree he was good in that Chamber. There's also a good Matt Hardy match on SD 2007, just before he left. And the Masterlock Challenge stuff was fun times, and something they should really try to do again these days, just to make someone stand out from the pack.

I still don't think that diminishes how much of an achievement it was for him to reinvent himself and improve the way that he did.

It's strange to me just how much of a regular Masters has become in the UK. It's gotten to the point where he's no longer treated as an import in places like PCW, he's just part of the roster. It does mean some of his better matches in the past few years haven't gotten as big an audience as they would have, but he's had some great matches in PCW with Kris Travis, Chris Hero and Dave Mastiff, and his match with Big Damo for HOPE was one of the better matches I saw live last year. Not going to make my top 100, but it's nice that he's still putting on great performances.

• 2 weeks later...