Pro Wrestling Only

Zoltan Boscik

Grimmas

Boscik is a guy who disappointed me at first I suppose because I expected him to be the most tricked out mat worker ever (with the name and him being Hungarian and all.) It wasn't until I watched his matches with Grey (who else?) that I realised what a great bumping and stooging heel he was, and I appreciate that aspect of his work more now. I need to revisit some of the earlier stuff I dismissed, but he's a second tier WoS guy to me and he's hurt by his 80s stuff not being that great. We do have a good sampling of his late 70s peak though, so that's a positive.

I nominated him on the back of matches against Steve Grey and Alan Sarjeant.

Agree, he's not Breaks, Haward, Jones, Cortez etc but he's worth a second look for a project like this, even more so when you see some of the names who have been nominated. With the possible exceptions of Johnnny Kidd and maybe Mike Jordan, I can't think of any other WOS guys who I would nominate from now.

It's interesting that you think Zoltan is in that tier. I really need to re-watch his stuff. I like Kidd, but wouldn't nominate him. Jordan has never really impressed me.

In the Microscope, I had a thread ranking the European workers into different tiers. I haven't updated it since October of last year, so it doesn't reflect many of my current attitudes, but these are the top tier guys for me:

All-Time Greats

Jim Breaks, Mick McManus, Alan Sarjeant, Jon Cortez, Marty Jones, Steve Grey

Great Workers

Terry Rudge, Tibor Szacaks, Mike Marino, Ken Joyce

Excellent Workers

Bobby Barnes, Robby Baron, Franz van Buyten, Clive Myers, Steve Veidor, Sid Cooper, Alan Kilby, Pat Roach, Pete Roberts, Caswell Martin

However many WoS workers I chose, they will likely come from these names.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

There’s absolutely part of me that wants to rank this man. A good little weasly heel and a very entertaining to watch in face-face matches doing his cool technical shit. We love the 3-in-1 hold in this house. But I can’t really rank him in a top 100, maybe I need to make a top 250 in 2026 just for myself.

What I watched for this so far and my match ratings

Zoltan Boscik vs Jon Cortez (14/04/71) ****
Zoltan Boscik vs Jim Breaks (12/02/72) **¾
Zoltan Boscik vs Robby Baron (08/05/74) ***¼
Zoltan Boscik vs John Naylor (24/08/74) ***
Zoltan Boscik vs Steve Grey (18/03/78) ***½