Pro Wrestling Only

Daisuke Sekimoto

Jmare007

One of my favorite japanese guys of the last 7 years. He's far from perfect and I get why a lot of people aren't into his matches sometimes but I don't know, there's something about Daisuke smashing little dudes or going all Hulk on people that grabs my attention every time. Hopefully Alan4L can come here and help make his case too.

Random quick reviews I've done of some of his matches.

Maximum Tag League - Semi Final: Masato Tanaka & Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Yuko Miyamoto & Takashi Sasaki (BJW 4/28/09)

Another great tag match in Korakuen Hall. Miyamoto gets distroyed at the begining by Daisuke and Dangan, so it's up to Takashi to level things up. Still, that's not enough as Tanaka/Sekimoto always find a way to get the upperhand but Miyamoto refuses to die every single time he's in the reciving end of a German Suplex. The finishing strech is awesome

Daisuke Sekimoto vs Masa Takahashi - KO-D Openweight Title Match 4/4/10 DDT

Daisuke smash puny Masa! But Takahashi has a plan and lots of fighting spirit to counter that, he may go a little overboard with his facial expressions and fighting spirit spots but I was so into the match that didn't really care, loved everything this match.The crowd eats up this incredible underdog story that has a big chance of being my puro MOTY for 2010.

Daisuke Sekimoto vs Kota Ibushi - KO-D Openweight Title Match DDT 5/3/10

First minutes are kinda slow but the match starts building in intensity until Daisuke decides to slap Kota...from then on these 2 went BATSHIT CRAZY, from elbows to stomps to the absolutely brutal headbutts. Man, I wish this had one last Ibushi comeback before getting killed by the champ, but given that Sekimoto had to wrestle a few hours earlier for Big Japan, I was more than pleased with this.

Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi vs Seiya Sanada & Manabu Soya - AJPW 3/21/11

Although it didn't have the atmosphere of their first match at Korakuen, they made it up with a better version of what they did in February. It's amazing how great this was considering it went longer than 30 minutes - it seems that in today's puro, everything has to be shorter than 25 to be really great - and that the February match suffered from them going so long. This didn't have the same amount of overkill than their first encounter and it benefited from it. The Sekimoto/Soya exchanges are brilliant and Oka/Sanada aren't far behind. A legit MOTYC.

Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi vs Manabu Soya & Ryota Hama - BJW 4/28/11

Fucking awesome match, exactly what I expect from an interpromotional encounter. A hot crowd, hate and clear faces and heels. Korakuen is firmly behind the BJ guys and Hama uses this to deliver THE performance of his career.
It's worked refreshingly smart considering who is in the ring and the fact that it's a title match.

Daisuke Sekimoto, Yuji Okabayashi & Ryuichi Kawakami vs Yoshihito Sasaki, Shinya Ishikawa & Masashi Otani - BJW 2/12/11

Even better than the usually great Strong BJ tag. It has even more hate and stiffness than normal, and you have the story of the rookie Otani trying to survive the attacks of Oka, Kawakami and specially Daisuke. Everyone looked great in this, just a brutal (in a super fun kinda way)
match.

Daisuke Sekimoto, Shinobu & Yugi Okabayashi vs. Yoshihito Sasaki, Shinya Ishikawa & Ryuichi Kawakami - BJW 6/27/11

Strong BJ for the motherfucking win! Holy crap this was all kinds of awesome. Shinobu and Yoshihito bring the HATE, Daisuke & Okabayashi the muscle and Ishikawa & Kawakami the resilience. Action packed 6 man tag with a couple of GREAT nearfalls. And all of this in just 11 minutes

Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi vs SUWAMA & Takumi Soya - REAL WORLD TAG LEAGUE, Day 1

Very good tag match, it builds very slowly but I was happy with the payoff in the end. The first 3/4 of the match are mostly about Daisuke and Yuji beating the leaving hell out of Soya, who does a good job at being the FIP (specially in his hope spots). Then SUWAMA gets in and we get a great finishing stretch. LOVED Daisuke not being able to deadlift SUWAMA and asking Okabayashi for help, but Oka is too tired and gives the young Soya enough time to interfere, save his partner and lead us to the ending.

Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi vs Suwama & Takumi Soya - Death Vegas

Man was this fun or what. I was gladly surprised that the Yokohama crowd (which had been dead for most of the show) decided to participate in this, of course it wasn't even close to a Korakuen crowd but at least it was something. Completely different from the RWTL match as Soya/Suwama are clearly the bad guys. They did a great job heeling it up all things considered. It ran a little too long with Takumi being a little too resilient for my taste but overall this was very good. I loved how the crowd started to get anxious about Oka and Daisuke not being able to win, even booing the referee's pin fall counts. Also, I hate to say it but I'm HYPED for Suwama vs Sekimoto at Korakuen Hall on 1/2, I tried not to get my expectations up but after this I wanna see this 2 bring the hate and stiffness to Korakuen in a singles match.

Daisuke Sekimoto vs Suwama - AJPW 1/2/12

So yeah, this was great and oddly enough met my high expectations. Heated as a interpromotional matches between two aces should be. Suwama, aware of Sekimoto's freaky strength, takes out his back and leaves him helpless. Locking in a crab, whipping him in to the barricade, just making him his bitch basically. This is all fuel to Sekimoto's comeback. He sells the back well and leaves you on the edge of your seat whenever he attempts a big power move.

Daisuke Sekimoto vs Yuji Okabayashi - BJW 02/26/12

Definitely the best match of their trilogy. It's so fun watching how Yuji has grown as a performer and as a threat to Daisuke, from Korakuen believing more in him every year to going head to head in the bombs department against Sekimoto. The headbutts were brutal but I've kinda become numb to them ever since Daisuke and Ibushi tried to kill each other in 2010. A great heavyweight battle, can't wait till they meet again in 2013.

Daisuke Sekimoto vs Yoshihito Sazaki- Strong Climb Tournament Final BJW 3/26/12

Brilliant, just brilliant. I was disappointed with Daisuke's work in the Bad Bones match (specially his control section) but man did the guy stepped up in the final. And Yoshihiko....oh man, his work as the underdog was fucking beautiful. Sekimoto gains control in the first minute and proceeds to work over Sasaki's neck, from then on it's all about Yoshihito working from behind trying to overcome Daisuke's brilliant work over that body part. Both men executed their roles to perfection and Korakuen understood what this was all about. The final minutes are outstanding and if you are not rooting for Yoshihito then you don't have a fucking soul.

MY GUY!!!

Haven't checked to see if he's nominated for the GOAT project yet but I most certainly will be at some point if nobody beats me to it.

Great post with great recommendations mate. Of everything there, I think the one match I'd like to really give an extra push to is the Hama match which is just such an incredible spectacle.

From this year, I'd recommend his match against Shinobu:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21aafp_daisuke-sekimoto-vs-shinobu-bjw_sport

Outside of Japan, he's also been an amazing performer in wXw in Germany, and has become an adopted favourite with their fans. I was there the first time he came over and I think I was the only person who knew who he was. 5 years later, he has legendary status there thanks to his matches with Big Van Walter, El Generico and Bad Bones.

Daisuke made his name off of dynamic power based offense but he's turned into so much more than that nowadays. I think fans of Bret Hart would really like his singles matches from the last year or two because he's really taken on that Bret quality of telling a great deliberate story where the littlest things mean a lot.

Sekimoto is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, and a guy that I would think people around here would really, really like, but I've been wrong about that before so who knows. If I end up voting in the top 100 thing, this is a top 20 contender, maybe higher.

The Shinobu match from this year is brilliant. I'd also recommend the "leg match" vs Okabayashi. Not sure of the date. Alan would know instantly.

Sekimoto is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, and a guy that I would think people around here would really, really like, but I've been wrong about that before so who knows. If I end up voting in the top 100 thing, this is a top 20 contender, maybe higher.

The Shinobu match from this year is brilliant. I'd also recommend the "leg match" vs Okabayashi. Not sure of the date. Alan would know instantly.

I've seen three Daisuke vs Yuji matches. The first one is from 6/29/09 right before Sekimoto took him under his wing and they started tagging, I recall it being quite entertaining considering Okabayashi was barely starting and was facing an established guy like Daisuke. The other one is from January 2nd of 2011, this one I don't remember much, all I have is my rating for it (***1/2) and having the feeling it wasn't as good as their first encounter. And the last one is the one I posted here (2/26/12) which is the best of the trilogy.

I've seen three Daisuke vs Yuji matches. The first one is from 6/29/09 right before Sekimoto took him under his wing and they started tagging, I recall it being quite entertaining considering Okabayashi was barely starting and was facing an established guy like Daisuke. The other one is from January 2nd of 2011, this one I don't remember much, all I have is my rating for it (***1/2) and having the feeling it wasn't as good as their first encounter. And the last one is the one I posted here (2/26/12) which is the best of the trilogy.

This is THE LEG MATCH! So so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKhSHTV67vQ