Pro Wrestling Only

[2008-03-09-wXw-16 Carat Gold] Bryan Danielson vs Chris Hero

Loss

The usually annoying German crowd adores Hero and despises Danielson, who does everything in the book to piss them off as much as possible. First 10-15 minutes is a mix of mat work - were Hero usually gets the upperhand, working Dragon's left arm - and Danielson stalling as much as he can so he can gain an advantage. Match starts to really get going once Hero makes Danielson's elbow "snap", from then on it's these two really going at it. I liked how this didn't turn into your typical bombfest and nearfall trading. It went from mat work, to more violent mat work to just plain violence without any overkill. Loved what Hero did to destroy Danielson's left elbow and how he couldn't use it anymore - the one time he had to, he couldn't take advantage of a superplex because of the pain the caused - I felt the ending was awesome considering what they did in the match. This was great.

• 3 years later...

So this crowd really, really sucked. Go away. Get the fuck off the ring apron too. Indy-riffic announcing doesn't do this match any favors. Danielson's heeling is top-notch. Really liked the matwork and how it always went back to matwork until the finish. The escalation was good throughout. I didn't like the lead-in to the finish because they did that "I hit you-you hit me" thing way too long for my tastes. If you like that kind of thing, it probably helps the match. Both guys worked really hard and put a lot into this match. Psychology of the match is really well done too. It's just got way too much awful crowd and announcing and the finish is a little irritating without that, icing on the never again cake with the other factors.

• 1 month later...

Danielson getting the toilet paper treatment during the introductions is AWESOME - he was so hated by the wXw crowd, and here he was going against the most loved wrestler by the wXw crowd at the time, one Chris Hero. Danielson's heel performance is masterful; loved him going to the ropes constantly in the early stages of the match - that sure got the crowd riled up. "Best wrestler in the ropes", indeed! Hero finally gets something going by attacking Dragon's arm in brutal fashion, it's absolutely awesome & Dragon sells it super well. Bryan answers to that by going after Hero's NOSE in absolutely brutal, awesome, Regal/Finlay -esq fashion. Just a violent warfare between 2 of the best. One of my all-time favorite matches & certainly my favorite one in wXw's history. ****3/4

• GSR changed the title to [2008-03-09-wXw-16 Carat Gold] Bryan Danielson vs Chris Hero